Is There Grace or Forgiveness in TSA / Earwa?

• 7 Replies

Frail

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: April 15, 2018, 07:50:38 pm »
Relistened to Inraus point of view in the audiobook and feel the time spent with him is important somehow, his inner turmoil and "doubts."

Would the Gods spare any judgement on Akka for the act of sparing Inrau from the Mandate, even for those few short years?

Can Yatwer save souls that give to her or at least temper eternal damnation?

SuJuroit

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 03:21:26 pm »
According to Bakker, the gods are capricious and the criteria for being "saved" is essentially that a god likes you.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 05:25:28 pm »
If they did exist, what does Grace and/or Forgiveness look like in Earwa. From there, I might be able to discuss its possible existence.

If you are asking if there is a single god with the power to grant any soul eternal ecstasy rather than eternal torment, no I don't think so.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

dragharrow

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 03:32:37 pm »
For I have seen the virtuous in Hell and the wicked in Heaven. And I swear to you, brother, the scream you hear in the one and the sigh you hear in the other sound the same.

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 11:13:28 pm »
We are told that only Yater and Gilgaol can "seize" a soul, but I would imagine that the God-of-Gods wins out over of both of them (and I'm not sure where Ajokli fits into this but he must be up there). So far it would appear that acquiring the favor of the God-of-Gods results in Oblivion rather than a paradisaical type of afterlife, however.

So in theory, I think Yatwer could save a soul, but she might not ALWAYS be able to if she desires it, depending on who actually gets "first dibs" in the Outside.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 01:26:18 pm »
We are told that only Yater and Gilgaol can "seize" a soul, but I would imagine that the God-of-Gods wins out over of both of them (and I'm not sure where Ajokli fits into this but he must be up there). So far it would appear that acquiring the favor of the God-of-Gods results in Oblivion rather than a paradisaical type of afterlife, however.

So in theory, I think Yatwer could save a soul, but she might not ALWAYS be able to if she desires it, depending on who actually gets "first dibs" in the Outside.

Well, the fact of the "seizing" might just be a relative power level issue.  That is, that only Yatwer or Gilgaol are "strong" enough to grab a soul destined for somewhere else.  I think slipping into Oblivion, or sliding through to Oblivion is different though and doesn't involve any "intercession" on the part of The God-of-gods.  It's a question of your soul being in the proper state of "smoothness" or perhaps undifferentiated-ness, or could we say attunement?  In any case, it allows your soul to either be wholly unattractive to The Hundred, or undetectable.  In either case, I don't think of the God-of-gods as intercessional.  Not even passively.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 02:59:21 pm by H »
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 01:52:48 pm »
Good points, and that does better fit the nature of the GoG. I definitely think you are correct that reaching Oblivion is a matter of one's soul meeting a certain set of requirements upon death, so that they are impossible to detect by the Gods upon death. 

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 03:19:09 pm »
Good points, and that does better fit the nature of the GoG. I definitely think you are correct that reaching Oblivion is a matter of one's soul meeting a certain set of requirements upon death, so that they are impossible to detect by the Gods upon death.

It makes sense too, from the standpoint of the Hundred as well.  Since souls are their sustenance, why would they want to let any go?  It's not their choice, of course.  Only differentiated souls have value, because differentiation is likely what the Hundred crave.  The "simplest method" of marked differentiation is sin.  Sin is the "setting apart."
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira