• 90 Replies

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2017, 06:11:46 pm »
I checked. What Kalbear said is true.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Wolfdrop

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2017, 06:34:35 pm »
I found the writing excellent but was still a bit underwhelmed compared the openings of the other books.

I've only read them through once but the only thing that stood out in chapter one was Esmi setting the WLW on Kellhus? I don't recall this.

Chapter 2 just seemed like Moenghus bitching about not getting rescued by Serwa via sorcery, though didn't she have an agonic collar on the whole time so that was hardly feasible. I'm also a bit confused about what happened between the last Ishterebinth chapter from TGO and this. I don't doubt it'll fill out but I'm still a bit lost. I guess Serwa wrecked the place but there's little mention of any of the events of the final showdown so to speak.

The chapter titles have got me more excited than the 2 chapters, I'm just slightly underwhelmed.

That said, my preorder has been in for months and I'm still confident the book overall will be fantastic.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2017, 07:44:29 pm »
I found the writing excellent but was still a bit underwhelmed compared the openings of the other books.
So......Chapter One opens with a river running backwards, Chapter Two gives us the first Moënghus POV, and you're slightly underwhelmed by the opening, compared to the other books?

Shaking my damn head.....
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 09:06:45 pm »
What about Meppa? Did he drown...?

Other thought: Bakker opens the book by getting rid of some of his arena's, chapter 1 ends the Momemn line through Gods' cataclysms; chapter 2 says goodbye to our Nonmen friends at Ishterebinth. This helps the Consult numerical goal along as well, huh...

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 09:10:41 pm by Hiro »
Mystery denotes darkness

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 09:14:33 pm »
OMG Meppa never occurred to me. Good question!!

MisterGuyMan

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2017, 09:25:12 pm »
Well that was aggravating.  Trying to read it on mobile is torture.  You only read every half page, giving just enough so you kinda follow but so little that it's more frustrating than anything else.

Good Find either way.  Finally going home to read this bad boy.  My faith in Kellhus is strengthened.  You doubters shall be exposed!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 01:18:48 am by MisterGuyMan »

Walking-Star

• Emwama
  • The Inverse Salmon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 12:48:23 am »
I must say, the lamentations of the Abomination-Child are most amusing. The Prince of Hate has a great sense of humor.

Though, I am left wondering, is Sorweel now technically the last Intact Ishroi?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 12:56:40 am by Walking-Star »

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2017, 01:56:20 am »
So, there it is in Chapter 1, "To save Mankind...". Also, debated was he went back to save Esme, which is true. Good clarification.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 02:06:52 am »
So, there it is in Chapter 1, "To save Mankind...". Also, debated was he went back to save Esme, which is true. Good clarification.
... ;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:31:05 am by Redeagl »
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2017, 08:58:10 am »

Whuch part is that quote from?

Only part i can see is "you... and all mankind"

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 09:02:02 am by themerchant »

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 02:04:41 pm »

Esme calls him a monster and he says he is the monster needed to save her and all of mankind.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

MisterGuyMan

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2017, 02:19:56 pm »

Esme calls him a monster and he says he is the monster needed to save her and all of mankind.
To add to that Esme accused him of coming back just to save the Empire.  Kellhus points out that they're currently traveling away from the Empire but he still saved her.  The implication being that she and nothing else is the reason he went back.  He then states that she is his only Darkness which is about the sweetest thing a Dunyain can say about another.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 10:36:03 pm »

To add to that Esme accused him of coming back just to save the Empire.  Kellhus points out that they're currently traveling away from the Empire but he still saved her.  The implication being that she and nothing else is the reason he went back.  He then states that she is his only Darkness which is about the sweetest thing a Dunyain can say about another.

Yes, MGM those are great points. Me and Redeagl have a running debate/contest on the issue of a sorts. I hope his " ;) " isn't a spoiler in itself as a means of gloating...

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 01:39:50 am »
Yeah but that quote doesn't appear is what i am saying. Not in that format.

He says he keeps them ignorant to save them from sin. The sin they commit in his name, we already know not everyone can be saved and it's a good thing. Saubon wasn't saved from anything.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2017, 04:07:12 am »
Yeah but that quote doesn't appear is what i am saying. Not in that format.

He says he keeps them ignorant to save them from sin. The sin they commit in his name, we already know not everyone can be saved and it's a good thing. Saubon wasn't saved from anything.

Me and MGM both read it in that format...I dunno why you're missing it.

ETA: I'm sure he'll have to do whatever he is going to do, before the rules of salvation change. He's saying he is trying to save mankind from damnation.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 04:09:40 am by MSJ »