Grimdark Magazine! Kickstarter! New Anthology! RSB story!

• 75 Replies

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 03:30:49 am »
Why didn't you create a new thread when you posted this on the other site?

Anyway, I'm sure this will include Bakker's a Crack in the Wall that he mentioned once. I wonder if it's a tsa story.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 10:13:12 am »
I was confused for a bit (I haven't had my coffee yet) but then I realized the Kickstarter doesn't start until June 15th.

Neat though, I'll back it as long as the tiers are priced reasonably.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 01:15:44 pm »
I was confused for a bit (I haven't had my coffee yet) but then I realized the Kickstarter doesn't start until June 15th.

I did the exact same thing Shut up and take my money!
But, yeah, June 15.

Since they've got everything planned from e-books to 26 signed/limited edition, I'm guessing much of the donation tiers will be the straight cost of whatever they plan to sell it for on that particular medium. They just need to know they'll sell what they're making.

The stretch goals, LIKE HAVING SOMNAMBULIST DO INTERIOR ART, will be icing on the cake if they get a bunch of people donating above and beyond that base cost.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 01:51:38 pm »
Fuck yes.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 02:09:59 pm »
I am guessing this will be that short story that he alluded to on his blog all that time ago?
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 04:25:40 pm »
You all familiar with the other authors on there? Because the only one I've read (or even heard of) is Adrian Tchaikovsky.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 04:33:38 pm »
You all familiar with the other authors on there? Because the only one I've read (or even heard of) is Adrian Tchaikovsky.
Honestly, no, not really. I've seen Courtney Schafer's name around, but that's about it.

I think of GdM as more of a place for "up and coming" authors with the periodic appearance of the likes of Tchaikovsky/Abercrombie/etc.

But, depending on the price, I'm guessing the e-reader version will be worth the cost just for Bakker. For me at least.

Interesting to me that they call out Bakker on the cover for  his story and forward. It certainly seems like Tachaikovsky would be a bigger draw.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 04:35:55 pm by Wilshire »

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 08:20:26 pm »

Anyway, I'm sure this will include Bakker's a Crack in the Wall that he mentioned once. I wonder if it's a tsa story.

At Westeros?  I don't feel very confident about posting in Westeros.  Maybe I should go find some confidence-worms and squeeze the confidence-gut-juice out of them and drink it with my face-hole

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 08:21:31 pm »
Wah?

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 09:14:08 pm »
Yeah. It's fine mate...

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 01:56:13 am »

I think last time MG created new threads for Grimdark Magazine's The Knife of Many Hands on Westeros, moderators closed his thread and asked him to post anything Bakker related in the perpetual Bakker thread there.

I wonder if it's an Atrocity Tale as well, Aural.

I did the exact same thing Shut up and take my money!
But, yeah, June 15.

Since they've got everything planned from e-books to 26 signed/limited edition, I'm guessing much of the donation tiers will be the straight cost of whatever they plan to sell it for on that particular medium. They just need to know they'll sell what they're making.

The stretch goals, LIKE HAVING SOMNAMBULIST DO INTERIOR ART, will be icing on the cake if they get a bunch of people donating above and beyond that base cost.

Fuck yes.

This aforementioned "Fuck yes" was in regards to Somnambulist doing interior art - let me say again, fuck yaaaasss!

I am guessing this will be that short story that he alluded to on his blog all that time ago?

I wouldn't be surprised if it is A Crack in the Wall as Aural mentioned above.

Honestly, no, not really. I've seen Courtney Schafer's name around, but that's about it.

I think of GdM as more of a place for "up and coming" authors with the periodic appearance of the likes of Tchaikovsky/Abercrombie/etc.

But, depending on the price, I'm guessing the e-reader version will be worth the cost just for Bakker. For me at least.

Interesting to me that they call out Bakker on the cover for  his story and forward. It certainly seems like Tachaikovsky would be a bigger draw.

Somewhere on TPB MG had a better link explaining this - if it's not dead now (oh, so long ago). But I believe A Crack in the Wall was supposed to be part of Grim Oak Press' Unveiled anthology, a followup to another anthology, Unfettered, that was sourced originally to help pay for Shawn Speakman's cancer bills. This post has a list of the authors appearing in the original volume and, unfortunately - because there are a handful more 'big name' authors on the original tracklist - it looks like this Grimdark anthology has replaced most of those authors with others from the "Grimdark Fiction Readers & Writers" facebook group.

There's another post detailing the cancellation of Unveiled.

At Westeros?  I don't feel very confident about posting in Westeros.  Maybe I should go find some confidence-worms and squeeze the confidence-gut-juice out of them and drink it with my face-hole

Lol - MG. Just keep being comfortable with yourself, whoever you are ;).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 01:58:14 am by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 02:18:03 pm »
Its up and running.

"Evil is a Matter of Perspective: An Anthology of Antagonists"

Find it here

About 50% funded and it hasen't even been 24 hours. I really, really hope this works out.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 02:19:34 pm by Wilshire »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 02:40:12 pm »
Well, I added my little bit. Real shame about shipping though and I'd rather give that money to the anthology efforts even if it means sacrificing a physical copy.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer