YOU MUST TELL ME ... What else are you reading?

• 418 Replies

kellykellhus

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 14, 2014, 05:13:31 am »
I liked it too but I remember having a bad head cold when I read Fall of Hyperion and it was made so much worse by it.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 14, 2014, 11:10:31 am »
Just finished the Fall of Hyperion.

Spoiler free review: Really satisfyingly complex and interwoven ending with a few nice mysteries left. Not as well structured as Hyperion and an odd change in Pov characters. Completes the series as a whole even though I know there is the Endymion duology all major plot points are pretty much resolved if this duology were the only.

Now onto either Patrick Rothfuss The Name of The Wind which I bought today or Adrian Tchaikovsky Heirs of the Blade continuation read.

Well my Adrian Tchaikovsky Heirs of the Blade read was going slow. So I picked up Roger Zelazny Nine Princes in Amber and tore through it in 5 days discounting the two I left it at work over the weekend - really enjoyed this book and definetely plan to read the rest when I get hold of them. So now back onto reading Heirs of the Blade which I am enjoying but far too little is taking far too long to happen and the worldbuilding at the moment is not the world I am most interested in. Good solid read though and once the plot is less Tynisa focused and more the Apt/Inap conflict I think it will pick up for me.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 15, 2014, 06:13:17 am »
One day I will rewatch pasolinis Canterbury tales and the reread hyperion, and maybe the rest of the series.

You know when you're drinking allagash at 11 on a Sunday night thinking about chaucer,  adaptations thereof, and about to finish watching a kurosawa film but first you've got to finish typing a post into a Web forum app. Yeah that's right now.

All typ0s courtesy of Samsung.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 22, 2014, 02:11:37 pm »
Finished Ann Leckie Ancillary Justice (Still slogging through Heirs of the Blade just seem to be going ten pages a time.

Goodreads review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1086458074 Decided to start reviewing all the books I read on Goodreads and also going to add in my library at home to have a digital "version" of my library.

Now i'm going to read something scary - keeping with the flavour of the month. World War Z and War of the Worlds are the forerunners at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:13:16 pm by SilentRoamer »

Garet Jax

« Reply #184 on: October 22, 2014, 03:25:03 pm »
For really the first time ever I am reading more than one book at once, and loving it.

Second Foundation

Olympos

Gardens of the Moon

Once I finish all three of them, I will post my "reviews".
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 02:46:11 pm by Garet Jax »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 22, 2014, 07:15:04 pm »
Don't know how you can read GOTM and anything else....
One of the other conditions of possibility.

kellykellhus

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 23, 2014, 10:17:10 pm »

Now i'm going to read something scary - keeping with the flavour of the month. World War Z and War of the Worlds are the forerunners at the moment.

I'm reading The Troop by Nick Cutter to get in the spirit myself. Goddamn this is some nasty and unsettling body horror.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 26, 2014, 02:42:34 pm »
I have been reading Melissa Mcphail recently. Her "A pattern of shadow and light" series is just stunning so far. I am in the middle of book 3 at the moment, and it just gets better and better. You get them almost for free if you have a kindle, like 3 dollars.

I am also reading Oswald Spenglers "Decline of the west".

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 27, 2014, 12:12:42 pm »
My Goodreads review of World War Z is up:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1116579063

Reading through War of the Worlds and now things have slowed down at work I can get back on target with reading and hopefully finish that over the weekend. Not sure what I fancy reading after that - I have quite a lot of to be read. :)

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 29, 2014, 07:32:49 pm »
I'm halfway through Richard Morgan's "The Dark Defiles", book three of "A Land Fit for Heroes" series. And I am so sorry that nobody really seems to be reading it (apart from one friend of mine, whom I last met a month ago), because there's just so much to discuss about what's going on in the book. There are so many little hints dropped that might or might not pan out, and then I also realised how wicked the titles are (each of them can be interpreted in two different ways and both make absolute sense within the novel). Anyway, I hope to finish it soon and see whether my suspicions turn out to be right. All in all, a fascinating read.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 01, 2014, 05:20:51 pm »
That is a rather enticing review Alia. Makes me want to pick it up.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 01, 2014, 05:29:57 pm »
A lot of people I know had a big problem with this series. First of all, Morgan was formerly known for hard s-f/cyberpunk (Altered Carbon or Black Man). And here he gives his readers what is on the surface a classic fantasy novel with a brutal sword-wielding protagonist. But it's only the surface and I still wonder where the plot is really going. And then, some people were really put off by rather graphic gay sex scenes - but I guess for any Bakker fan this won't be really a problem.
However, if you haven't read Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs trilogy (starting with Altered Carbon), you might miss some fun.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 01, 2014, 06:36:13 pm »
I'll add them to the list. The list, though, is quickly becoming a black hole. So many I'll never get to. I should read more :P

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #193 on: May 15, 2015, 06:18:12 pm »
hey folks!  if you like nonmen, you might like A Short Stay in Hell!  i think it is a novella--i listened to it and it was a good listen.  it is written by Steven Peck.

the story is, a guy dies and goes to hell and hell is Borges' Library of Babel and what follows stretches into nonman-like proportions

it starts slow but ends really well, totally ERRATIC

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #194 on: May 15, 2015, 07:31:31 pm »
Well, that just reminded me that I have Labyrinths by Borges still sitting, unread, on my bookshelf after probably 5 years or so.

Perhaps this might be the one book I can read  this year?  I'm going to take it with me to Dallas this weekend, maybe read some on the ride there.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira