• R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 03:43:40 pm »
God bless Somnambulist!

Not likely.  I updated the map with some preliminary suggestions.  Thanks to those who commented.

http://spiralhorizon.deviantart.com/art/Earwa-4109-sm-489666427

EDIT - the changes were:
Kuniüri  to  Kȗniüri
Subil  to  Subis
Neleost  to  Neleöst
Swap places of Kuöti and Ennutil
Added compass lines (just cuz)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:45:21 pm by Somnambulist »
No whistling on the slog!

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 03:56:18 pm »
Wow, Somna, awesome. So we DO know who will make all the detail maps for our upcoming p&p RPG... ;) (only half-joking!)
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 04:02:10 pm »
Well, if you're taking critiques:

The river Phayus looks a bit different depending on what map you look at.
http://www.rscottbakker.com/fan-resources/

The older one (zoomed into Kian) has it flow north of Mehtsonc a bit more and it splinters into more tributaries.
I think the way you have it probably a fair representation of it (more updated maps show it head east as you've shown), but adding a few more smaller tributaries flowing down from the mountains might also fit in. Did you consider it?

I think Kellhus' journey leads him to a mountain pass somewhere near the battle of Kiyuth and they end up hitting a couple streams as they flee to Momemn. I'm not sure the way you have it drawn currently would capture that... Maybe I'm wrong though. I've never really figured out exactly where they cross or counted how many streams they passed.

- - -
And since I'm a greedy person, how about holy Shimeh? We've got a map of that. Have you considered doing a smaller one of that city? I'm about 85% certain that I'm going to print the big earwa map out and hang it, and I think a map of the city would look great next to it...

Wow, Somna, awesome. So we DO know who will make all the detail maps for our upcoming p&p RPG... ;) (only half-joking!)
(not joking at all is more like it)
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2014, 07:35:25 pm »
Kellais:  It's half the reason I wanted to make the map in the first place.   :)

Wilshire:  I'll update the rivers as you suggested.  I flip-flopped on that issue and went simple, but realize it was a mistake.  I should have made it like the book map in the first place.  I'll thoroughly avoid, however, speculating on the number and placement of streams.   ;D

As for close-up maps, I'd considered it.  I kind of wanted to do a close-up of Gedea, as there are references in the glossary of more structures and features, but even at the scale I did this map, there wasn't room for them.  I might do a two-up, Gedea and Shimeh.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2014, 07:52:58 pm »
How about a scale somewhere at the bottom? I did the calculations before on another topic somewhere. I could measure it out for you ;)

There would be no way to fit a whole city worth of detail in a world map, it would have to be an add-on. Shimeh I just figured would be easiest since there is a map already, but your interpretaion of Gedea would be awesome as well.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2014, 08:56:16 pm »
Hey Somnambulist,

Can you make it like Google Earth so that when you zoom in all the detail from buildings and streets and whatnot shows up?

Street view would be nice as well.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2014, 11:39:10 pm »
Thats exactly what I thought when he said "at this scale". Google Maps ftw.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2014, 11:48:20 pm »
How about a scale somewhere at the bottom? I did the calculations before on another topic somewhere. I could measure it out for you ;)

Sure!  I'll include it with the next update if you can find it.

Can you make it like Google Earth so that when you zoom in all the detail from buildings and streets and whatnot shows up?

Street view would be nice as well.

Ummm... I'm trying to maintain a semblance of a life outside of all this, so... no. 

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2014, 12:14:41 am »
Just kidding. I didn’t think it was really possible, even if you didn’t have a life.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2014, 02:20:34 pm »
Just kidding. I didn’t think it was really possible, even if you didn’t have a life.

I know, I was just trying to be funny.

Wilshire, if you have that scale handy, I can include it in the next version.  I have the river Phayus fixes done, and a couple of other small corrections based on others' comments.  Cheers!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2014, 02:37:48 pm »
This post/thread:
http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=1411.msg17952#msg17952

basically:
That equivalent Norwegian coastline is roughly 400 kilometers. So the short nearly vertical North/South edge of the Demua is 1600 to 2000 km (the mountain that borders The Great Ocean, part of Earwa's west coastline). Does that make sense? I can circle it on a jpeg later if not, but probably not till this evening if I remember.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:57:31 pm by Wilshire »

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2014, 05:00:47 pm »
I think I found the key to the scale.  Akka and Xinemus are discussing Proyas in regards to the whipping of Calmemunis for impiety.   TDTCB, GB 2005, Orbit, page 331:

"I'm quite serious, Akka. After Paremti I left the court in disgust. Wintered in Attrempus. He came to me, alone –"
"To beg forgiveness?"
Xinemus grimaced. "One would hope so, but no. He travelled all that way to upbraid me." The Marshal shook his head and smiled. Achamian knew why: even as a child Proyas had been given to endearing excesses. Travelling alone two hundred miles simply to deliver a rebuke was something only Proyas would do.

The 'court' would be Aöknyssus, the administrative and commercial capital of Conriya, where Akka taught Proyas as a child.  So, 200 miles from Aöknyssus to Attrempus.  I'm adding a scale to the map based on this reference.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2014, 05:06:18 pm »
Yeah but we don't know what that road looks like, or how that distance was measured. There aren't a lot of direct roads between cities in Earwa, mostly old roads leading to/from old capitals/cities that no longer exist. If that reference is similar to what we've discussed, I'd just go with that then.

Also, there may be a discussion about distance around the end of Kiyuth, regarding mathematicians and the placing of severed heads, though this runs into the same issue as your original quote. The route is hard to pin down.