Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 05:05:23 pm »
Vellichor

n. the strange wistfulness of used bookstores, which are somehow infused with the passage of time—filled with thousands of old books you’ll never have time to read, each of which is itself locked in its own era, bound and dated and papered over like an old room the author abandoned years ago, a hidden annex littered with thoughts left just as they were on the day they were captured.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 05:21:31 pm »
Quote from:  Wilshire
Vellichor

n. the strange wistfulness of used bookstores, which are somehow infused with the passage of time—filled with thousands of old books you’ll never have time to read, each of which is itself locked in its own era, bound and dated and papered over like an old room the author abandoned years ago, a hidden annex littered with thoughts left just as they were on the day they were captured.

This tiny little town I live in, in WV, we used to have a used book store. They closed down 2-3 years ago. Shame. Anyhow, I would just walk around that place for hours when I had the time. I loved the smell, looking for hidden gems, and talking to the old man who own and ran it. He had read, it seemed like, everything. So smart. Had a lot of great conversations and free coffee with ol' Samuel. I miss that place. Yes, and it always felt like you were stepping into another world when you walked through that huge oak door.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 05:33:51 pm »
Vellichor

This tiny little town I live in, in WV, we used to have a used book store. They closed down 2-3 years ago. Shame. Anyhow, I would just walk around that place for hours when I had the time. I loved the smell, looking for hidden gems, and talking to the old man who own and ran it. He had read, it seemed like, everything. So smart. Had a lot of great conversations and free coffee with ol' Samuel. I miss that place. Yes, and it always felt like you were stepping into another world when you walked through that huge oak door.

I've known a number of hideaways like that in my life, MSJ.

And yeah, Wilshire, there are a bunch of gems on that list - and it's not even comprehensive by any means. Plus how I can imagine native speakers of any language don't know a majority of their own possible vocabularies.

We're missing out on so many words!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 05:38:04 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 05:35:20 pm »

I'd love to be able to one day have enough money to open a SFF bookstore and not care that it would be a failing business that hemorrhaged money. Open a story front and fill it with books, mostly for myself but open to those few souls still interested in artifacts from the past.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 05:51:48 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
I'd love to be able to one day have enough money to open a SFF bookstore and not care that it would be a failing business that hemorrhaged money. Open a story front and fill it with books, mostly for myself but open to those few souls still interested in artifacts from the past.

You and me both. I have a good collection, methinks, for a family. A lot of fantasy, nonfiction and whatever you call the stuff the wife reads....romance? Lol.

It would surely be a nice way to retire. Thays what this guy did. And, the shop was there since I could remember. If I did it, is also sell those fancy coffees and such. But, Sam just had a pot hot all the time and would talk about anything you wanted to. Miss those days.

[EDIT Madness: Quote tags.]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 05:59:40 pm by Madness »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Knee that Bends

• Suthenti
  • Only a dûnyain deals in absolutes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 06:25:48 pm »
Dead Reckoning
n. to find yourself bothered by someone’s death more than you would have expected, as if you assumed they would always be part of the landscape, like a lighthouse you could pass by for years until the night it suddenly goes dark, leaving you with one less landmark to navigate by—still able to find your bearings, but feeling all that much more adrift.

This makes sense emotionally of course, but the analogy is nonsensical. Dead reckoning is knowing your exact course and speed in relation to the land and yourself, to find out exactly where you are and where you are heading, time of arrival, etc. Having something called "dead reckoning" should not mean you feel "adrift". Quite the opposite. Someone didn't read the Chapman Guide to Piloting and Seamanship 67th edition apparently, SMH
"And I renounce..." He trailed, warred with errant pas­sions. "I renounce my wife."
His eyes fell upon Esmenet, stricken upon the floor. My wife!
"Noooo," she wept and whispered. "Pleaaase, Akka..."
"As an adulteress," he continued, his voice cracking, "and a... a..."
His face a mask of nimil, he turned without leave, began walking back the way he came. The Men of the Tusk stared at him dumbstruck

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 06:31:20 pm »
Good thing words only ever have one meaning.

Merriam-Webster:
Definition of up:
1 a (1) : in or into a higher position or level; especially : away from the center of the earth
(2) : from beneath the ground or water to the surface
(3) : from below the horizon
(4) : upstream 1
(5) : in or into an upright position

sit up

; especially : out of bed
b : upward from the ground or surface

pull up a daisy

c : so as to expose a particular surface
2 : with greater intensity

speak up

3 a : in or into a better or more advanced state
b : at an end

your time is up

c : in or into a state of greater intensity or excitement
d : to or at a greater speed, rate, or amount

prices went up

e : in a continual sequence : in continuance from a point or to a point

from third grade up

at prices of $10 and up

up until now

4 a (1) : into existence, evidence, prominence, or prevalence
(2) : into operation or practical form
b : into consideration or attention

bring up for discussion

5 : into possession or custody
6 a : entirely, completely

button up your coat

b —used as an intensifier

clean up the house

7 : in or into storage : by

lay up supplies

8 a : so as to arrive or approach
b : in a direction conventionally the opposite of down:
(1) : to windward
(2) : northward
(3) : to or at the top
(4) : to or at the rear of a theatrical stage
9 : in or into parts
10 : to a stop —usually used with draw, bring, fetch, or pull
11 : for each side

the score is 15 up

:P

We all have our contexts.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 06:34:19 pm »
That's f***ed up.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 06:45:24 pm »
That's f***ed up.
I think South Park built a whole episode around using as many unique instances of 'up' as they could. I don't think those listed above are comprehensive.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 08:12:51 pm »
Vellichor

I get that feeling when I'm at my granny's (not real granny) house. All those old books that somebody poured their heart into many years ago, most of whom will probably be forgotten whoever.

Ambedo
n. a kind of melancholic trance in which you become completely absorbed in vivid sensory details—raindrops skittering down a window, tall trees leaning in the wind, clouds of cream swirling in your coffee—briefly soaking in the experience of being alive, an act that is done purely for its own sake.
I had this once in the shower, watching the water drops running down the skin of my upraised hand, thinking about what I am.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 08:19:16 pm »
Ambedo
n. a kind of melancholic trance in which you become completely absorbed in vivid sensory details—raindrops skittering down a window, tall trees leaning in the wind, clouds of cream swirling in your coffee—briefly soaking in the experience of being alive, an act that is done purely for its own sake.
I had this once in the shower, watching the water drops running down the skin of my upraised hand, thinking about what I am.
Lots of words about reflecting on experiences and self-awareness, which seems  to have a lot of use for the happenings-on of this forum.