Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 01:42:41 pm »
Odd
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Hogman

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 08:38:25 pm »
Allow me to translate.

"Using established scientific methods..."

Translation:

"Using statistical tests that were never meant to be used in the way we're going to use them, we will produce a large number of false positive results to convince people they're psychic".

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 01:30:54 pm »
Allow me to translate.

Translation:

"Using statistical tests that were never meant to be used in the way we're going to use them, we will produce a large number of false positive results to convince people they're psychic".

Lol. Every time somone 'calls' a coin flip, they are psychic. Do that with a big enough room, with enough people, enough times, and you'll have someone guess the right answer to any number of multiple choice questions.

Hogman

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 02:09:45 pm »
There was a TV programme in the UK about ten years ago that demonstrated this really well. A volunteer was asked to bet on five horse races, with the presenter (Derren Brown - is he famous outside of the UK?) telling them which horse to back in each case. He correctly predicted the winner five times in a row. It was revealed at the end that there were in fact 7776 volunteers, each receiving a different combination of horses. One of them had to win!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Derren_Brown_shows#Derren_Brown:_The_System_.282008.29

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 02:13:46 pm »
That's amazing lol.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 04:08:48 pm »
Hey, even a broken clock is right twice a day...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Am I Psychic?

• Emwama
    • View Profile
    • Am I Psychic? Homepage
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 05:37:23 am »
Allow me to translate.

Translation:

Hi there, totally understandable response. However I am going to direct you to a few of the academic journal articles which I based the app upon. I hope you read them :)

1. goo.gl/P7nYwG 
Correlations of Random Binary Sequences with Pre-Stated Operator Intention: A Review of a 12-Year Program (1997). J. Scientific Exploration, 11, No.3, pp.345-367.

2. goo.gl/QC3jbY   
Correlations of Continuous Random Data with Major World Events (2002). Foundations of Physics Letters, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 537-550.

3. goo.gl/irrBrg     
Consciousness, Information, and Living Systems (2005). Cellular & Molecular Biology, 51, pp.703-714.

4. goo.gl/b14wuqcontent_copyCopy short URL
Biological Utilisation of Quantum NonLocality (1991). Foundations of Physics, Vol. 21, pp. 197-207

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 11:28:39 am »
Hi there, totally understandable response. However I am going to direct you to a few of the academic journal articles which I based the app upon. I hope you read them :)

Delightful :) . Welcome to the forum AIP, I'm glad you decided to come here.

I must ask, what brought you here?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 12:58:51 pm »

+1

Also, AIP, have you followed The Global Consciousness Project at all?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 09:20:02 pm »
Same for the "financial" industry ... years ago some sly cats created a bunch ( 100? ) of financial advice services and had them publicly publish their forecasts ... after 10 years, you had a few that were right every time with proven track record of results that could be verified. Just close down the "losers" and keep the winners and you appear to be a financial genius.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Am I Psychic?

• Emwama
    • View Profile
    • Am I Psychic? Homepage
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 05:35:14 am »

+1

Also, AIP, have you followed The Global Consciousness Project at all?

The criticism of the app, given that it is based in scientific peer-reviewed research brought me here. And of course I have heard of the GCP work of Dean Radin and Robert Morris.
I'm happy to be here also! I just wanted to clear the air on the app not being based in science. Thank you :)

Am I Psychic?

• Emwama
    • View Profile
    • Am I Psychic? Homepage
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 05:37:36 am »
Same for the "financial" industry ... years ago some sly cats created a bunch ( 100? ) of financial advice services and had them publicly publish their forecasts ... after 10 years, you had a few that were right every time with proven track record of results that could be verified. Just close down the "losers" and keep the winners and you appear to be a financial genius.

Sorry to disagree, but the work of Russell Targ and SRI in the prediction of silver market futures over the course of several weeks in 1982 was a massive success, generating over 200k in profit. I'm not supporting a position here, as much as informing. I can provide the peer-reviewed research if necessary?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 02:39:18 pm »
The criticism of the app, given that it is based in scientific peer-reviewed research brought me here. And of course I have heard of the GCP work of Dean Radin and Robert Morris.

I'm happy to be here also! I just wanted to clear the air on the app not being based in science. Thank you :)

For what it's worth, I consent to my words being used for your project, AIP. Also, Hogman's criticism could be brought to bear on most any project using statistical analysis - it's psychometric rigour which separates ;).

How specifically did you find us though? I'm interested, seeing as we're a pretty niche community (and only happen to be discussing your app and project because I have an eclectic morning roundup).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 09:41:20 pm »

How specifically did you find us though? I'm interested, seeing as we're a pretty niche community (and only happen to be discussing your app and project because I have an eclectic morning roundup).

He's psychic.