Video Game Thread! What are you playing?

• 138 Replies

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2019, 04:51:00 pm »
Starting Slay the Spire...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2019, 02:40:08 pm »
Started playing some Wargroove. Its like fire emblem (i guess?) or Advanced Wars - turned based combat with army recruitment and a hero character.

And Factorio, which continues to be endless hours of entertainment.

Starting Slay the Spire...
That keeps showing up all over the place, seems to be pretty popular.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2019, 03:29:37 pm »
Dark Souls III and its DLC are on sale on steam, so I ended up caving in and buying the DLC. Going to try and not to instantly spend 48 hours in there, since I've other shit to do. If anybody's looking for an immersive RPG with incredible atmosphere that has no qualms about kicking your ass, I can only recommend this game.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2019, 04:22:23 pm »
Dark Souls III and its DLC are on sale on steam, so I ended up caving in and buying the DLC. Going to try and not to instantly spend 48 hours in there, since I've other shit to do. If anybody's looking for an immersive RPG with incredible atmosphere that has no qualms about kicking your ass, I can only recommend this game.
What does the DLC add? New bosses I'd hope.

I got bored rolling around after beating the second throne boss, but I can see the appeal. Finally beating a boss after dying a few dozen times was extremely satisfying. The biggest downside for me though is that it takes large blocks of dedicated time, which is becoming more and more elusive, especially because I'm terrible at these kinds of games lol.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2019, 04:48:36 pm »
What does the DLC add? New bosses I'd hope.

I got bored rolling around after beating the second throne boss, but I can see the appeal. Finally beating a boss after dying a few dozen times was extremely satisfying. The biggest downside for me though is that it takes large blocks of dedicated time, which is becoming more and more elusive, especially because I'm terrible at these kinds of games lol.
New bosses, new areas, new items, new spells. A lot of the +3 rings can be found in the Ringed City for example. It is time consuming, but hey, isn't it more fun to get into one game heavily rather than 10 cursorily?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2019, 05:19:56 pm »
It is time consuming, but hey, isn't it more fun to get into one game heavily rather than 10 cursorily?

That actually sounds like quite a bit of content.

And yeah, you make a good point. Maybe that's been my problem with RPGs lately, jumping around rather than sinking into to one. Definitely something to consider.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2019, 06:59:25 am »
Getting my asshole destroyed by Sekiro at the moment. The first boss alone took me fucking hours, easily on par with e.g. Sister Friede in difficulty, and the minibosses are no joke either. I didn't think I'd be into the Japanese thing, but they did a really good job with it. Smiler should be very into this.

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2019, 10:08:41 am »
Getting my asshole destroyed by Sekiro at the moment. The first boss alone took me fucking hours, easily on par with e.g. Sister Friede in difficulty, and the minibosses are no joke either. I didn't think I'd be into the Japanese thing, but they did a really good job with it. Smiler should be very into this.
By the first boss you mean Lady Butterfly?

And yeah, I'm totally into this game, it's absolutely amazing, but the Japanese thing is really not to my liking (I hate both Sengoku and Edo periods, at least). Also the plot is just generic so far, by far the weakest part of the game. Still, Sekiro is an improvement on Dark Souls combat system (and cuts a lot of unnecessary stuff in other places), and a great one at that. 100% worth picking up if you're at all into combat games. A bit of warning, though: Sekiro is likely noticeably harder than any of the previous Soulsborne games.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2019, 12:29:59 am »
By the first boss you mean Lady Butterfly?

And yeah, I'm totally into this game, it's absolutely amazing, but the Japanese thing is really not to my liking (I hate both Sengoku and Edo periods, at least). Also the plot is just generic so far, by far the weakest part of the game. Still, Sekiro is an improvement on Dark Souls combat system (and cuts a lot of unnecessary stuff in other places), and a great one at that. 100% worth picking up if you're at all into combat games. A bit of warning, though: Sekiro is likely noticeably harder than any of the previous Soulsborne games.
Yeah Lady Butterfly. I see, I guess I took you for being more of a weeb than reality allows. I agree that the plot seems very bare-bones, but I'm still not very far in (just got to the gun fortress, haven't killed any ghosts yet). I agree that Sekiro is an improvement. A lot of combat in Souls games is like, you roll away from enemy attacks forever until you win, while here, there's active clashing of blades. I quite like the deflect mechanic, although it does feel a little bit underwhelming at times when you're used to parrying being an autowin in Dark Souls :D. But it's great, it's pretty responsive overall.
And yeah, it's really fucking hard.
I do wish though that there was also an option to play as a female character, or maybe have some ranged spells, like in Souls games.

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2019, 01:11:51 am »
I do wish though that there was also an option to play as a female character, or maybe have some ranged spells, like in Souls games.
You have ranged attacks, quite a few of them (they become available through combination of Skills and Prosthetic Upgrades). Female character - yeah, I almost always play female characters, but alas...

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2019, 06:48:04 pm »
Fighting the mid-game boss in Sekiro right now (I'm playing slowly), and it's just so good...! The game's great, can't recommend it enough to everyone who has time to persevere.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2019, 07:59:41 pm »
Fighting the mid-game boss in Sekiro right now (I'm playing slowly), and it's just so good...! The game's great, can't recommend it enough to everyone who has time to persevere.
I thought I'd finished the last boss yesterday, but the game keeps going xd. Will progress some more today, expecting my NG to finish soon. Which boss are you at? Also, controller or mouse+kb?

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2019, 08:43:31 pm »
Controller all the way, mouse and keyboard feel like masochism! I'm fighting Genichiro at the castle, it's right around the middle of the game (I've watched all the spoilers). The fight's amazing, it's so precise and diverse, by far the best Soulsborne fight for me so far. I still have trouble with jumping to counter things, so I'm dying on his last phase. I'm getting pretty good otherwise, though.

Couldn't learn jumping on Lady Butterfly, sidestepping her just felt strictly superior, and the jumping guys at Mount Kongo I stealth-killed.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2019, 09:12:02 pm »
Controller all the way, mouse and keyboard feel like masochism! I'm fighting Genichiro at the castle, it's right around the middle of the game (I've watched all the spoilers). The fight's amazing, it's so precise and diverse, by far the best Soulsborne fight for me so far. I still have trouble with jumping to counter things, so I'm dying on his last phase. I'm getting pretty good otherwise, though.

Couldn't learn jumping on Lady Butterfly, sidestepping her just felt strictly superior, and the jumping guys at Mount Kongo I stealth-killed.
Genichiro is tough for sure (would probably rank him second in difficulty overall, from the bosses I've seen so far), but that's not halfway through at all! Well, it depends on which ending you're going for I guess, but I'd say more like 1/3 at best.
I'm personally trying to avoid as many spoilers as possible, playing semiblind, although I do sometimes watch videos when I literally can't figure out how to get to an area or where to go next.
Also, I'm playing with mouse and keyboard, it's all I know xd. I had to rebind my keys a few times but so far it works.

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2019, 09:24:48 pm »
Yeah, it probably depends on where you've been before Genichiro, but I've cleared the monks, gotten some idols in the Depths, and went almost to the Great Serpent Shrine, so it's likely around halfway for me.

I surmise you have no controller? Yeah, it's not super convenient to buy one for PC, but I did at some point, and so far it's been really good, even though it's low-grade (the triggers are definitely way to stiff, so can't recommend it, really):
https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gamepads/f310-gamepad.html

And remapping helps for sure, I even remapped my controller for Hollow Knight (it has a horrible default scheme). But Sekiro feels really good as is.

By the way, Hollow Knight is an amazing game all around, and I really recommend it. It's easier than Sekiro, but might be harder if you wanna do late-game DLC content that was included as a challenge, basically.