Any pen&paper roleplayers here?

• 85 Replies

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2016, 11:10:21 pm »
I've had a lot of experience with Roll 20.  My current RPG playing crew is international and we play over Roll 20 after switching from Screen Monkey.  It's pretty good and there's even scripts out there that allow you to simulate the funky nonstandard dice used in Star Wars or Warhammer Fantasy.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2017, 07:51:57 pm »
okaaaaaaaaay ... Wilshire sent me here and the last post was almost a year ago and appears there was interest in this group designing an RPG from Earwa 3 years ago, but appears the idea sputtered out. Well, that would take some elbow grease to pull off, so no judgement on the fate of that effort coming from me.

In another post, I came across what appears to be a really cool game this group might dig. Kingdom Death: Monsters. It appears to be a board/rpg style game steeped in mad horror with super cool figures ( me thinks the chap who came up with this is a PON fan ). Anyways, won't duplicate everything I posted in other thread ( http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=2186.msg33967#msg33967 ), just seeing if any of you know of this game and have an opinion. Cool or not cool? It's pricey stuff, so hoping to get first hand account recommendation on it before I take the plunge.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:53:44 pm by TaoHorror »
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Vegetables

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2017, 05:08:53 am »
, just seeing if any of you know of this game and have an opinion. Cool or not cool? It's pricey stuff, so hoping to get first hand account recommendation on it before I take the plunge.

I havn't played but aquintances at my FLG have complained about the rules for it. They tend to have good opinions on games. They make lovely models though.

Would anyone in this group have any interest in playing a biweekly game on roll20? I'd enjoy playing but wouldn't mind gming an l5r game (Samurai system with a really great setting and rules system) or a zombie-apocalypse themed World of darkness game.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2017, 12:27:16 pm »
biweekly = twice a week?

Maybe, depends on the time I suppose, and experience required, as I have none - for any game.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2017, 11:41:32 pm »
What were their complaints? Too difficult ( seems to be common feedback on the game, steep learning curve ).

I've heard of Roll20, but never played. Can you give us an upshot on what it's like? All I've ever played is D&D, Traveler and Top Secret ( and a few others for very short period of time like Gurps ). Top Secret has the greatest rule of any RPG ever ... so when you create your character, you pick one of 3 fields, for which Assassination is one of them ( the most popular selected, for obvious reasons ... there's Confiscation and Administration as well ). For the Assassination field, you get experience points no matter who you kill ... that means innocent civilians as well, bwaa ha ha ha haaa! Man, oh man, did I have fun playing that back in the day. I created my character and randomly went to the first house I came to in a random neighborhood, knocked on the door and started firing away with my shotgun, LOL! I never had so much fun! The cops typically took me out fairly quick, but just rolled up another one and kept going! It inspired me to think of a RPG where you're a serial killer ... but never did anything with it.

Anyhoo - let us know more about what you have in mind with Roll20, how you want to go about it, generally how it's played, etc.

Vegetables

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2017, 05:39:14 pm »
biweekly = twice a week?

Maybe, depends on the time I suppose, and experience required, as I have none - for any game.
No sorry, I meant every other week.

Anyhoo - let us know more about what you have in mind with Roll20, how you want to go about it, generally how it's played, etc.

Roll20 is a website that facilitates rpg play online. Acts as a lobby/hub for playing and communicating.

I would want to see what players would be interested in. I'd lean towards WoD and a zombie survival game as WoD is an incredibly easy system to play especially for new players without access to print copies of the book. The game has a leaning towards "role play" (focusing on the characters, interactions, and choices) over "roll play" (focusing on the stats, rolls, and crunch). Thematically I would be running the game as a somewhat depressing story of continuing survival. Managing food, resources and survivors while dealing with zombies, the elements and other people in a post-zombie apocalypse world. Realistic modern characters interacting and surviving.

What were their complaints? Too difficult ( seems to be common feedback on the game, steep learning curve ).
I didn't play it myself so I can't get into to much detail but their complaints were that the ruleset was sub-par (unintuitive, congested, poorly-optimised) in comparison  to other games of the type. The models they considered top quality among miniature gaming sculpts.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2017, 07:35:44 pm »
Sounds cool, Vegetables. I think we're both in the same EST timezone - which makes a difference when you're on a forum with people from a dozen different timezones ;) .

Lets say, count me in, and we'll see where this goes.

Name a Time, day of the week, place, whatever. Get it going. (If you build it they will come - ie, people are lazy shits but if you do it all for them they'll happily partake in the finished product)

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2017, 10:11:35 pm »
Yeah, sounds cool - let's see how many we can rope in. So roll20 - do we interact with each other beyond typing? Audio/video involved at all?

Vegetables

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2017, 07:40:22 pm »
I'm going to look into all the applications of Roll20 as iv never used it myself. I will post a topic here when I'm ready for player applications.
I will note that my games tend to deal heavy in realism. I.e. Unless you were a soldier, hunter or, professional shooter you cannot really have above 3 (professional level) in firearms. A score of 5 (highest value a stat cana go in WoD) in a skill means you are one of the absolute best in the world. You wouldn't have this unless it reflected your character concept.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2017, 07:43:04 pm »
Yeah, sounds cool - let's see how many we can rope in. So roll20 - do we interact with each other beyond typing? Audio/video involved at all?
I believe those capability are baked into roll 20.

If not, I prefer voice, and there's tons of applications for that. Curse/twitch being one of them - free, simple enough to use just make a username and everyone joins a chatroom. Skype - without the video - works fine as well.

I'm going to look into all the applications of Roll20 as iv never used it myself. I will post a topic here when I'm ready for player applications.
I will note that my games tend to deal heavy in realism. I.e. Unless you were a soldier, hunter or, professional shooter you cannot really have above 3 (professional level) in firearms. A score of 5 (highest value a stat cana go in WoD) in a skill means you are one of the absolute best in the world. You wouldn't have this unless it reflected your character concept.

Sweet. Let me know if you need help. I have 0 experience with pen&paper rpgs, but gotta start somewhere. I'm not much of a creative type either - you won't find me DMing - but I'm sure I could provide something (or at least extract something out of google ;) ).

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2017, 01:23:12 pm »
I have experience with Roll20 and highly recommend it.  Combined with Skype or Discord and you can have really good gaming experiences with it.