Quotes worth quoting: The Wikiquote project

• 32 Replies

Quinthane

• Old Name
  • WATD
    • View Profile
    • MyDeviantArt
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 04:38:12 am »
"...Try to flee again and I promise, I'll murder the world to find you."--Cnaiur urs Skiotha TDTCB p.412 the Overlook Press
WATD --"the Logos is without beginning or end...and then it stops ."

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 06:54:07 pm »
Great quote.

tekne, I'm familiar with some of those ideas (dabbled in Asian philosophy for awhile). Cool stuff.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

tekne

• Emwama
  • real Strength comes without tension
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 11:11:12 pm »
real neat talking to You! and other participants.. it's really warming  that Bakker has somehow brought together, different but not alien us)
The dark currents I find - An accurate copy, A blueprint of the pleasure In me

...best things in life come without tension, driven by a higher flow ,that one and only is the reason and truth behind their sole existance

tekne

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 12:57:43 am »
-Reality, afterall, is a function of detail.-
let's discuss nuances of another  Bakker's statement,shall we?

...best things in life come without tension, driven by a higher flow ,that one and only is the reason and truth behind their sole existance

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 01:19:27 pm »
Can you cite your quotes, please, tekne?

Otherwise, detail is the important word, for me. Does Bakker mean to say that Reality functions at large like details do in small? Macrocosm/Microcosm metaphor?
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

tekne

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 10:49:29 pm »
yes,sure)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 08:36:39 pm »
Quote from: p87, TDTCB
And Achamian wondered where it all went, the past, and why, if it were gone, it made his heart ache so.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:27:46 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

v0id_walker

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2016, 04:01:37 pm »
As far as I know RSB studied Philosphy, so there might be some connection between his books and... this ;D

The Black Light

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 12:01:42 am »
It is befitting, I suppose, that in order to better explore the darkness that comes before me, because I'm new here and there's quite a lot of darkness around, I should start from the very beginning...

Some of Bakker's quotes strikes me as remarkable, to say the least, so during my reading of the PoN I took some time to write some of them down or hunt others down during the reread I did. Some day, when I do a TSA reread, I will probably add more from there. So here are some:

"Intelligent people, Achaimian had found, were typically less happy. The reason for this was simple: they were better able to rationalize their delusions. The ability to stomach truth had little to do with intelligence – nothing, in fact. The intellect was far better at arguing away truths than at finding them."
- TWP

"Maithanet carried a plague whose primary symptom was certainty. How the God could be equated with the absence of hesitation was something Achamian had never understood. After all, what was the God but the mystery that burdened them all? What was hesitation but a dwelling-within this mystery?"
- TDTCB, Chapter Three

“I thought you said the ancients believed their gods lived atop these things,” Kellhus called down. “Why do you tarry?”
Achaimian paused, scowled up at the remaining distance. Gasping for breath, he struggled to smile through his grimace. “Because the ancients believed their gods lived atop these things…”
- TWP

“The world has had the habit,” Achamian said, “of breaking the back of my promises.”
- TDTCB, Chapter Three

"Achaimian liked to claim that men were simple, that women need only feed, fuck, and flatter them to keep them happy."
- TDTCB I suppose, I haven't written if it's from The Darkness... or TWP

"Am I so different from this man? Achamian asked himself, watching the captain in his periphery. Not really, he thought, but he ignored the man nonetheless and turned back to stare at Sumna, hazy against the dark hills.
And yet he was different. So many cares, and the wages so slight. Different in that his tantrums could sweep away city gates, pulverize flesh, and snap bone. Such power, and yet the same vanities, the same fears, and far darker whims. He had expected the mythic to raise him up, to exalt his every act, and instead he was set adrift . . . Detachment enlightened no one. He could turn this ship into a shining inferno, then walk unscathed across the surface of the water, and yet he could never be . . . certain.
- TDTCB, Chapter Three
You know nothing of war. War is dark. Black as pitch. It is not a God. It does not laugh or weep. It rewards neither skill nor daring. It is not a trial of souls, not the measure of wills. Even less it is a tool, a means to some womanish end. It is merely the place where the iron bones of the earth meet the hollow bones of men and break them.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 12:21:59 am »
Some quality choices there-in, TBL. Welcome to the Second Apocalypse :).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2017, 11:58:38 am »
Welcome, TBL, if you have questions or ideas just make a thread, new threads are like water in a desert here, they'll always attract posters.

"Achaimian liked to claim that men were simple, that women need only feed, fuck, and flatter them to keep them happy."
- TDTCB I suppose, I haven't written if it's from The Darkness... or TWP

TWP, Chapter 12.

No two prophets agree. So to spare our prophets their feelings, we call the future a whore.
—Zarathinius, A Defence of the Arcane Arts

I always found most of the epigraphs pretty great.  Another:

Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil.

—Nulla Vogneas, The Cynicata
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

The Black Light

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2017, 02:22:54 pm »
Thank you all, I'm glad I can finally dig in here after finishing TGO a few weeks ago. I don't have much time these days, but I was pondering some things and I have to check if there's already a thread like this.
Anyway, I was going to post some of the epigraphs as well, but I think they are all already included in the Wikiquote. Or others I've taken from RSB's Goodreads profile, so I guess they can also be included in the Wikiquote easily. Actually is this project still alive?
You know nothing of war. War is dark. Black as pitch. It is not a God. It does not laugh or weep. It rewards neither skill nor daring. It is not a trial of souls, not the measure of wills. Even less it is a tool, a means to some womanish end. It is merely the place where the iron bones of the earth meet the hollow bones of men and break them.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2017, 03:21:21 pm »
Its a living project in that its always open for anyone to add to.

As you might have seen, there wasn't much of a push to add quotes after I set it up, so I don't really curate it anymore. That said, its simple enough to add to the list yourself ;) so feel free to do so, or just add stuff here as you see fit - you never know when someone will get the itch to add them to wikiquote.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2017, 03:04:52 am »
This is from TGO, so beware spoilers. While this doesn't really have the uncanny insight of a good Bakkerism, it's perhaps my favorite example of "Bakker the Writer" in the entire series thus far, in-so-far as the pure aesthetics of prose and all that. Nobody else does epic fantasy like this today:

"I see him so clearly!" the high King gasped. "He's taken the sun as his charger, and he rides among us. I see him! Galloping through the hearts of my people, stirring them to wonder and fury!"
     Gilgaol, War, come to claim him... Come to save, despite everything.
     "Shush.. Conserve your strength, my King. The surgeons are coming."
     The vision's eyes were fury, his hair the tangle of warring nations, and his teeth were as whetted blades. A crown gleaned above his brow, four golden horns, clutched in the arms of four nubile virgins--the Spoils. Bones and bodies clotted the ravines of his grim expression. And his cloak smoked with the burning of fields.
     Gilgaol, the Dread Father of Death, the All-Taker.
     Brave, broken King...
     He did not so much fly toward the high King as grow, bigger and bigger, bloating until he blotted the Whirlwind, crowded the very sky. Fire sheathed and pulsed across his four horns, streams that plummeted in skyward oblivion. He opened his hands, and lo! Another stood within the curved palms, bright as a ceremonial knife. A Norsirai, though his beard was squared and plaited in the fashion of Shir and Kyraneas. His dress was strange, and his arms and armor bore the glint of Nonmen metals. Two decapitated heads swung from his girdle...
     Behold the son of a hundred fathers...
     Behold the end of the World...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 03:15:04 am by FB »

Jackehehe

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2017, 09:36:11 pm »
Shouldn't this forum topic be in the general section?

Also, a really great quote from the "what has come before..." section in the books (page 2 in TUC):

"Centuries passed and the mantle of human civilization crept along the great river basins of Eärwa and outward, bringing bronze where there had been flint, cloth where there had been skins and writing where there had been recital. Great cities rose to teeming life. The wilds gave way to cultivated horizons."

I think the prose here is masterful, really!