[TUC SPOILERS] Foreshadowing in the books.

• 52 Replies

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« on: August 17, 2017, 03:27:38 pm »
Occasionally, I read a chapter from a randomly chosen TSA book. And most of the times, the foreshadowing is genius. So, I wanted to make this thread just so that I can share and talk about it.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 11:24:29 pm »
Apparently activity along the Scylvendi frontier, which had surged in previous weeks, had now dwindled to nothing, a fact that at once heartened her, because of the redeployment it allowed, and troubled her.
-The White-luck Warrior, Chapter 8.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 11:48:25 pm »
The attempt to bend the Holy War to Nansur interests had been a daring gambit, they all agreed, but so long as the brilliant Conphas marched with them, the Emperor might still succeed. Conphas. A man like a God. A true child of Kyraneas, or even Cenei—of the old blood. How could he fail to make the Holy War his own? “Think of it!” they cried. “The Old Empire restored!” And they raised yet another toast to their ancient nation.
- The Darkness That Comes Before, chapter 19.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 01:01:59 am »
Oo, that second one is a great one. A true son ;)
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Wolfdrop

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 07:24:43 am »
Kelmomas and Samarmus (presumably) are named after Celmomas and Sag-Marmau, two of the fiercest opponents of the No-God...which they eventually become.

TheCulminatingApe

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 07:18:47 pm »
The attempt to bend the Holy War to Nansur interests had been a daring gambit, they all agreed, but so long as the brilliant Conphas marched with them, the Emperor might still succeed. Conphas. A man like a God. A true child of Kyraneas, or even Cenei—of the old blood. How could he fail to make the Holy War his own? “Think of it!” they cried. “The Old Empire restored!” And they raised yet another toast to their ancient nation.

Foreshadows both what Kellhus will actually achieve regarding the Holy War and the 'new' Empire, and also Kellhus as a delusional megalomaniac who thinks he is, or can become a god. Also, the failure of Conphas in PON foreshadows the failure of Kellhus in TAE.
Sez who?
Seswatha, that's who.

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 07:33:52 pm »

Go Sherlock! That's a great find.
Mystery denotes darkness

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 03:07:15 pm »
This world, he thought, must not end.
He turned from the view to the room’s single table and dropped onto the stool, or what passed for one—it looked like something salvaged from a wrecked ship. He wet his quill and unrolling a small scroll across scattered sheets of parchment, wrote:
Fords of Tywanrae. Same.
Burning of the Library of Sauglish. Different. See my face and
not S in mirror.

- The Darkness That Comes Before chapter 1.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 06:06:04 pm »
That's great, Redeagl.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 04:18:58 pm »
Thanks, Madness and Hiro.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 06:02:57 pm »
He turned from the view to the room’s single table and dropped onto the stool, or what passed for one—it looked like something salvaged from a wrecked ship. He wet his quill and unrolling a small scroll across scattered sheets of parchment, wrote:
Fords of Tywanrae. Same.
not S in mirror.

Forgive the density of my gray matter, but what does this mean/foreshadow? Whose the writer ( Akka? ). The "See my face and not S in mirror" escapes me, don't know what is being said here.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 06:08:08 pm »
Quote from:  TaoHorror
Forgive the density of my gray matter, but what does this mean/foreshadow? Whose the writer ( Akka? ). The "See my face and not S in mirror" escapes me, don't know what is being said here.

Yes it's Akka. You could say it's foreshadowing of Akka becoming a prophet of the past and maybe those dreams are not from Seswatha. I don't think so, though. In the Slog of Slots re-read a couple years ago, I quoted the same passage as proof that Kellhus wasn't manipulating the dreams, and Akka's dreams were starting to change from the beginning, yet slowly. And, I think Seswatha is changing those dreams, because he knows Akka to be the one to truly fight the battle of TNG.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 04:12:56 am »
Quote from:  TaoHorror

Yes it's Akka. You could say it's foreshadowing of Akka becoming a prophet of the past and maybe those dreams are not from Seswatha. I don't think so, though. In the Slog of Slots re-read a couple years ago, I quoted the same passage as proof that Kellhus wasn't manipulating the dreams, and Akka's dreams were starting to change from the beginning, yet slowly. And, I think Seswatha is changing those dreams, because he knows Akka to be the one to truly fight the battle of TNG.
For me, this is another bit of evidence that Seswatha's dreams are not as straightforward as it might seem at first glance (if at all are what they're presented as). Quite possibly, everyone sees them differently, that's why Mandati chronicle them.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 05:49:37 pm by SmilerLoki »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 02:20:02 am »
Fords of Tywanrae. Same.
not S in mirror.

What they said but also, very specifically, Achamian and Mimara are at Sauglish when a Dragon-caused forest fire happens to engulf it; "Burning of the Library of Sauglish. Different. See my face and not S in mirror," suggesting that Bakker had planned the end of WLW as far back as TDTCB.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 03:32:07 am »
Fords of Tywanrae. Same.
not S in mirror.

What they said but also, very specifically, Achamian and Mimara are at Sauglish when a Dragon-caused forest fire happens to engulf it; "Burning of the Library of Sauglish. Different. See my face and not S in mirror," suggesting that Bakker had planned the end of WLW as far back as TDTCB.
Exactly. So, the " He makes it as he goes." comments on the other forum is not correct.