Board Games and Miniatures

• 152 Replies

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2018, 12:09:46 pm »
I used to paint warhammer models when i was younger, the one abiding memory i have is brushes with fewer hairs being more expensive.

I used white and black primer depending on the chapter i was painting. Mostly 40k

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2018, 01:10:51 pm »
I used to paint warhammer models when i was younger, the one abiding memory i have is brushes with fewer hairs being more expensive.

I used white and black primer depending on the chapter i was painting. Mostly 40k

Well, it more depends on what those hairs are made from than how many there are.  Kolinsky sable brushes will be expensive no matter what.  Synthetic brushes are a great deal cheaper.  Of course, real sable ones are "better" but not necessarily in proportion to their cost.  Not to mention, any metallic paints will destroy real sable brushes.

Unless you are really good and really know what you are doing, expensive brushes are nearly a complete waste of money.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2018, 02:14:16 pm »

Well, it more depends on what those hairs are made from than how many there are.  Kolinsky sable brushes will be expensive no matter what.  Synthetic brushes are a great deal cheaper.  Of course, real sable ones are "better" but not necessarily in proportion to their cost.  Not to mention, any metallic paints will destroy real sable brushes.

Unless you are really good and really know what you are doing, expensive brushes are nearly a complete waste of money.

it was ones for doing eyes. this was also in the early 1990's.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2018, 02:21:47 pm »
it was ones for doing eyes. this was also in the early 1990's.

Ah, OK, I see what you are saying.  Probably like a 00 size or something.  Yeah, there are easier ways now-a-days though, you can even just use something like a paint pen or something rather than spending so much on a tiny brush.

In reality, if you have a good 1, you can probably do the same as you could with a 00 or smaller, but it's more about having your paint the right consistency to work with in that case.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2018, 11:21:49 pm »
Post Noise Marines if you got any.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2018, 01:24:43 pm »
Post Noise Marines if you got any.

I used to, but I never got to paint any of them and I sold them a while back when money was bad...

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2018, 04:05:34 pm »
Dang it, that's a shame. Noise marines are ace.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2018, 12:19:52 pm »
So I used meetup.com to meet up with some people I don't know to board game  ;D

We played Descent 2.0 - my first time playing and we had a lot of fun. From my understanding, Descent is one of the better games to come out since 2000. We played the Labyrinthine expansion and we defeated the OL ( Over Lord ) in the first Act ( we're playing Campaign ). One thing kinda torqued me though - the miniatures are like 25mm - 28mm scale ( which is fine ), but they had exceptional detail ( which is great ) - my problem is I've purchased a few games over the past few years ( much newer than Descent ), but the miniatures are significantly inferior to quality ( of material ) and detail - it's like board gaming went backwards for a few years, but with higher prices, of course. Well, fuck. But it was very cool to get back into board gaming and I was lucky as the group we had was awesome, very nice cool people.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2018, 04:31:18 pm »
That's neat.  Good to actually get to play the games we keep buying!

But I think it's the case that the whole Kickstarter funding thing has really flooded the market for these sorts of "stand-alone" games.  It means the quality is really going to be uneven, I think.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2018, 06:28:17 pm »
That's neat.  Good to actually get to play the games we keep buying!

But I think it's the case that the whole Kickstarter funding thing has really flooded the market for these sorts of "stand-alone" games.  It means the quality is really going to be uneven, I think.

Yeah, it's all over the place from Wow to Ow. I guess having the means to buy games that suck isn't really much of a problem, but still sucks  :)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2018, 07:37:40 pm »
Yeah, it's all over the place from Wow to Ow. I guess having the means to buy games that suck isn't really much of a problem, but still sucks  :)

Well, at my current pace, I have enough models for my entire lifetime to build, paint, and play with, because right now I have roughly a half an hour a week when I can do anything.  So, I'm really trying hard to not buy stuff I have pretty much no chance to ever use...

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2018, 07:56:13 pm »

Well, at my current pace, I have enough models for my entire lifetime to build, paint, and play with, because right now I have roughly a half an hour a week when I can do anything.  So, I'm really trying hard to not buy stuff I have pretty much no chance to ever use...

Smart. Wise. Self Control. Impressive, H! That said, don't give up hope  ;)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2019, 02:09:11 pm »
Smart. Wise. Self Control. Impressive, H! That said, don't give up hope  ;)

Well, I didn't say I was doing it successfully though, haha.

My birthday is coming up, our oldest overheard my mother-in-law asking my wife what she should get me.  He told her "paint, that is all he buys."  So, I guess I am doing OK getting my hobby area set up.  Got my airburush booth set up, but still a good bit of work before I can really do much of anything, although I did manage to build one miniature I've had laying around for years.  Only to remember how awful Games Workshop resin is...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2019, 03:34:59 pm »
I ended up buying Gloomhaven for myself. Comes with at least one miniature for each player character class, which is like a dozen or so.

How much would it cost to pay someone to paint a one inch tall mini?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2019, 06:52:45 pm »
I ended up buying Gloomhaven for myself. Comes with at least one miniature for each player character class, which is like a dozen or so.

How much would it cost to pay someone to paint a one inch tall mini?

Well, first decide how well you want it painted, because the prices will vary widely if you want it painted to something like a display quality or just to a "tabletop" quality.

Check out his guy, who is in Poland and very good (and he shows the different qualities and the prices for each): http://www.unlimitedcolours.com.pl/index.php/commission

TH knows a shit load more about commissions than I do though.