• 134 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2014, 01:09:02 pm »
You're probably right. It isn't like he had a lot of negotiation power, though I'm sure there would have been some pushback if his father was alive. Imagine, the heir apparent of Sakarpus walking around without a chorae. Still unlikely, I concede ;)
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2014, 01:36:22 pm »
Lol. Wow. I missed a page of activity :'( ;D.

Some thoughts:

- You are way off-topic ;).
- I think that Future-predicting Astrology could be a real thing in Earwa.
- The argument for bastard-line is that at Celmomas and Seswatha didn't know eachother at the point of Ganrelka's birth... and that Ganrelka could just as easily be Celmomas' brother. Power would still transfer to Ganrelka after Tryse, if Celmomas had no other sons.
- The important thing about Yatwer's Chorae is the pouch :P.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2014, 07:53:58 pm »
- The important thing about Yatwer's Chorae is the pouch :P.

Yeah probably, but we where discuss the chorae itself for some reason. Maybe the pouch is a red herring and the reason Serwa didn't feel the chorae was because the chorae is what's important :O

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2014, 12:16:18 am »
Yatwer's got Sorweel digging up some dinky pouch--TUC will have Onkis giving Akka a two-flower-sapient-wood-frickin-chest-o-choraes.

Seriously though, Sorweel notes that that pouch is undetectable to Serwa, BUT he knows it would play havoc with her sorcery if he tried to bring it to Ishterebinth.  If all that is right, then a sorcerer would have a chance at detecting such a thing before its too late.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2014, 01:35:29 am »
Of course. The pouch doesn't dampen the effects of the chorae, but rather just 'hides' it from view. Remember Mimara (on topic :P) had to crouch by Akka's feet to not interrupt his magic and to not destroy the wards. Something like the trasposition cant, which affects the whole person, would be greatly  affected by the chorae.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2014, 12:37:36 pm »
Yeah. What Wilshire wrote.

Well, the Chorae is important for the pouch's concealing. Maybe that's a part of the Warrior's visions we don't see, if after he stabs Kellhus someone Chorae's Kellhus, Cnaiur-style. Maybe even, Moenghus the Younger. Symmetry, you know, like Fathers, like Sons.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2014, 04:49:31 pm »
Symmetry, you know, like Fathers, like Sons.
History repeats. If Kellhus fails to rise above the before/after paradigm then he is doomed like all the rest to forever repeat history.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2014, 08:38:06 am »
I've always thought that Serwe could sense the chorae anyway, that was untill i heard the recounting of some stuff from a TUC reading. which i wont go into on this forum.

Ptsatma comments that Maitha and Kellhus are aware of her, and they collect secret knowledge as par for the course. so i thought that it was all a pantomime for Sorweel benefit, cause Kellhus was aware of what was happening. after all didn't he pick the slave that that turned out to be the catalyst for Sorweels "conversion" to Yatwer?

Weird that the Dunyains give him a slave who happens to be a complete devotee to Yatwer, then he gets shipped off somewhere. Although Serwe might be kept in the dark in the way that Maitha claims he was kept in the dark.

I might be misremembering though, i don't have a copy of WLW anymore, I ordered the one from Canada(came out first) and got it shipped to my house next day for 3 times the cost of the book lol. anyway it's fell to pieces in a way my UK ones never.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2014, 12:11:18 pm »
You could be right, but a lot of that is conjecture. We just don't really know enough to say either way. I think Kellhus does, in the very least, suspect some involvement of the Gods, but to what extent he has incorporated them into his plans I have no clue.

It does seem too coincidental that Sorweel just happened to receive the slave that he got, but it is partially explained in the book that most caste-menials worship Yatwer.

If you are looking for a cheap copy of a book to replace your ruined copy, you might try the sites below. I don't know if they ship to wherever you are located, but the books here range from $1 to $5 (USD):
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=white+luck+warrior
http://www.hpbmarketplace.com/The-White-Luck-Warrior-The-Aspect-Emperor-Book-2-R-Scott-Bakker/book/16550805?matches=32

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2014, 09:31:07 pm »
I figured that Yatwer was positioning Prosparian with the same markless magic that Sorweel gets?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2014, 09:14:45 am »
Ptsatma comments that Maitha and Kellhus are aware of her, and they collect secret knowledge as par for the course. so i thought that it was all a pantomime for Sorweel benefit, cause Kellhus was aware of what was happening. after all didn't he pick the slave that that turned out to be the catalyst for Sorweels "conversion" to Yatwer?

Weird that the Dunyains give him a slave who happens to be a complete devotee to Yatwer, then he gets shipped off somewhere. Although Serwe might be kept in the dark in the way that Maitha claims he was kept in the dark.

Yatwer/Nonmen might be an important match for something...
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2014, 12:11:14 pm »
I liked SOA's thing that if the nonman see Yatwer's magic on Sorweel that will confirm to them that the gods oppose Kellhus and that will legitimize Kellhus' task to the false men.

EDIT: crazy--the nonmen worship a very specific space between the gods, the one right between War and Birth?

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2014, 05:59:11 pm »
Yatwer/Nonmen might be an important match for something...

Could Yatwer be blind to the Nonmen since they don't reproduce anymore?  That could be interesting.  Although I'm not sure I buy my own crazy here, because I think the Inchoroi used the Tekne to initiate the Womb Plague, but how about this:  the Inchoroi enacted an agreement with Yatwer to deny birth to the Nonmen.  I'm not even sure what the implications of that might be.  Crackpot theory #1,756,422.
No whistling on the slog!

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2014, 10:48:34 pm »
Awesome!  Yatwer and the Inchoroi work together because Yatwer is the Ark's soul!  This doesn't really fit with how scared of damnation they are, so, pttthhhh.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2014, 02:57:38 pm »
I think all the gods can still see the Nonmen. The only line we've seen drawn is "intelligence without a soul", pointing to the weapon races. Maybe Yatwer's influence over the Nonmen is hindered by their lack of reproduction, but that would be about it.