YOU MUST TELL ME ... What else are you reading?

• 418 Replies

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #285 on: January 10, 2018, 10:52:50 pm »
I stalled at 70% on the e-reader, Dora...

I just am not comfortable screen reading so much - I blame it on my personal reading history. I'm a tactile reader, I suppose - not like braille, though I've always wanted to do that too.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 10, 2018, 11:18:03 pm »
70% through Furies of Calderon, by Jim Butcher.

One thing I like in my fantasy is magic, and a food plausible system that make sense. This has that. I'm it one of those GoT is low magic and adult Fantasy. What? Its got so much magic its funny to hear people say that. If you don't want magic read Non-fiction or romance or some other genre. Magic is a essential staple of fantasy. Good Magic=Good Fantasy.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 11, 2018, 02:04:35 pm »
One thing I like in my fantasy is magic, and a food plausible system that make sense. This has that. I'm it one of those GoT is low magic and adult Fantasy. What? Its got so much magic its funny to hear people say that. If you don't want magic read Non-fiction or romance or some other genre. Magic is a essential staple of fantasy. Good Magic=Good Fantasy.
100%. I feel exactly the same way.
I'm going to start taking your fantasy suggestions more seriously now :).

Also, currently reading a scifi that basically has magic, but nooo its 'technologically enhanced psychological powers'. No, its not - its magic. As much as I like magic in my Fantasy, I have a distaste for it in scifi. The book isn't great in any other way either, so its kind of a lost cause all around.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 11, 2018, 02:41:05 pm »
Quote from:  Wilshire
100%. I feel exactly the same way.
I'm going to start taking your fantasy suggestions more seriously now :).

Traitor Son Cycle, by Miles Cameron. Great plot, good worldbuilding, a lot of good characters over 5 books and one hell of good Magic Systems. One of my favorites to be honest. I think you'd really enjoy it. That's a series that we could discuss for pages and wish I had someone to discuss it with. BECAUSE I HAVE QUESTIONS!
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #289 on: January 11, 2018, 03:42:26 pm »
About halfway through Light, Time, and Gravity.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #290 on: January 12, 2018, 03:19:58 am »
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 12, 2018, 03:24:23 am »
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #292 on: January 30, 2018, 10:11:58 pm »
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 31, 2018, 12:36:00 pm »
What a great book.
I think the first three books combined are 'my favorite'. Though many of Erikson's are phenomenal, its difficult to pick out one among all that is the best.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 01, 2018, 08:57:02 pm »
Quote from:  Dora Vee
Deadhouse Gates 59%: https://divinesong.tumblr.com/post/170318664043/malazan-deadhouse-gates
Report to

Loved Deadhouse Gates. A great follow up to Memories of Ice. Totally, agree with Wilshire. I liked all. Of the Malazan books. And, its because they are all set up the same. A bunch of info and set up the first 75% then the rest of the book is a great, wild ride.

One book I really loved, and a lot of people seem to think it a weaker book of the series is House of Chains. Karsa Orlong is introduced, the Tiste Edur are fascinating to me, and even more so after reading Erikson's 1st two books of the Tisste Andii origin story, or for that matter all the Tiste. You see why the Edur are the way the are, for very good reason.

I'll tell you, when you read Toll the Hounds, it makes all that prior reading so worth it. One huge difference between Bakker and Erickson, you get answers. Not all the answers, which I wouldn't like anyway, but you get some huge reveals. Its very satisfying. Keep slogging Dora Vee.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 02, 2018, 12:23:29 am »
Quote from:  Dora Vee
Deadhouse Gates 59%: https://divinesong.tumblr.com/post/170318664043/malazan-deadhouse-gates
Report to

Loved Deadhouse Gates. A great follow up to Memories of Ice. Totally, agree with Wilshire. I liked all. Of the Malazan books. And, its because they are all set up the same. A bunch of info and set up the first 75% then the rest of the book is a great, wild ride.

One book I really loved, and a lot of people seem to think it a weaker book of the series is House of Chains. Karsa Orlong is introduced, the Tiste Edur are fascinating to me, and even more so after reading Erikson's 1st two books of the Tisste Andii origin story, or for that matter all the Tiste. You see why the Edur are the way the are, for very good reason.

I'll tell you, when you read Toll the Hounds, it makes all that prior reading so worth it. One huge difference between Bakker and Erickson, you get answers. Not all the answers, which I wouldn't like anyway, but you get some huge reveals. Its very satisfying. Keep slogging Dora Vee.
Disagree. TTH wasn't THAT much better than the rest, which IMO, are better than what you think. You can't say that Bonehunters or Midnight Tides weren't amazing. Reaper's Gale and House of Chains are debatable ( I personally liked them, especially the former. ) but TBH and MT were just masterpieces.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 02, 2018, 12:46:29 am »
Redeagl, I won't disagree. That wasn't my point, though. I just the TTH was a great book in terms of convergence and reveals. Its the payoff for the first 7-8? books. There wasn't a Malazan book I've read and didn't like. Even his follow up series (shame the last book seems to be shelved. :( )

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 02, 2018, 12:58:58 pm »
Redeagl, I won't disagree. That wasn't my point, though. I just the TTH was a great book in terms of convergence and reveals. Its the payoff for the first 7-8? books. There wasn't a Malazan book I've read and didn't like. Even his follow up series (shame the last book seems to be shelved. :( )
Ah. Looks like I just misunderstood your comment, MSJ.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 02, 2018, 01:54:43 pm »
House of Chains was by far the weakest in the series. Karsa specifically is one of the least interesting characters.
Dust of Dreams is probably #2 worst book in the series.
The rest are all very good, though I'd put Reaper's Gale and Bonehunters down in the bottom half compared to the others. Still head and shoulders about HoC and DoD though.
I really enjoyed Midnight Tides :) .

Toll The Hounds is definitely one of the best for me because of the reveals and the converging stories.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 02, 2018, 03:31:35 pm »
DoD, must've been one of the worse ones, because frankly, I don't remember much about it, lol.

HoC, Reaper's Gale and Midnight Tides were all very good imo. Anything Karsa, and the Edur and you had my attention. Just a preference thing I guess, but I enjoyed them all.