[TUC Spoilers] Sticky out bits : football, meters, twig, kelm

• 20 Replies

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 04:10:19 pm »
I've just done a search as well and can't find anything to with football, tenis, rugby or cricket !

It's true I was hitting the qiri hard on my last read through, but I can't belive I got it that wrong.  It was sports related.  It was related to a "as big as" or "the size of a".

Memory is a strange.  Now I'm destined to spend the rest of my days scouring the accursed halls of Cil-Aujas in search of The 20th Century Sports Reference.

Fair enough damnation for opening a thread on such a flimsy premise ?

Nah man it's cool. I've had "false memories" of stuff as well, only to find out my memory has changed for some reason I can't work out.

I was really excited though to see that part as it would have been cool how i missed it each time i read :)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 04:35:25 pm »
If we were damned for misreading or misremembering things, I'd probably be a Prince of Hell already.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 04:47:27 pm »
I've just done a search as well and can't find anything to with football, tenis, rugby or cricket !

It's true I was hitting the qiri hard on my last read through, but I can't belive I got it that wrong.  It was sports related.  It was related to a "as big as" or "the size of a".

Memory is a strange.  Now I'm destined to spend the rest of my days scouring the accursed halls of Cil-Aujas in search of The 20th Century Sports Reference.

Fair enough damnation for opening a thread on such a flimsy premise ?

Are you sure you couldn't have read that reference in another book (maybe even another fantasy book) you were reading at around the same time? It's easy to be mistaken about what book/series it did come from, similar things have happened to me before (and to many others, I'd suppose). :)

Speaking of words/phrases that stick out, I'll admit by being thrown out of the text by the word "okay" a few times. Now, it's not like I know anything about the history of that word (and English isn't even my first language anyway) so I could be mistaken, but I always thought it was a fairly modern thing.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 04:54:04 pm »
Speaking of words/phrases that stick out, I'll admit by being thrown out of the text by the word "okay" a few times. Now, it's not like I know anything about the history of that word (and English isn't even my first language anyway) so I could be mistaken, but I always thought it was a fairly modern thing.

mid 19th century: probably an abbreviation of orl korrect, humorous form of all correct, popularized as a slogan during President Van Buren's re-election campaign of 1840; his nickname Old Kinderhook (derived from his birthplace) provided the initials.

Pretty modern indeed.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 10:50:54 pm »
Mekeretrig talks in an anachronistic manner in TDTCB that bumped me out of my flow in my reading, but YMMV.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 02:01:19 pm »
Mekeretrig talks in an anachronistic manner in TDTCB that bumped me out of my flow in my reading, but YMMV.

Its crazy to think about how delicate and complex this subject is. Everyone with different triggers, and a nudge this way or that really breaks the flow state, which can in turn ruin a book for someone.

Years ago, the word 'presently' really used to piss me off in books. I have since overcome this, but it used to make me put a book down completely - and I could never articulate why.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 06:35:15 pm by Madness »
One of the other conditions of possibility.