The 144,000

• 10 Replies

Charvuu

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: August 10, 2016, 10:40:11 pm »
Obviously we are all aware of the Inchoroi's, and subsequently, the Consult's goal of leaving 144'000 souls on the world in order to sever the link to the outside, yet we only ever hear anything based out of Earwa; how many souls are left outside of the Continent?

Its fine for the No-God to leave 144,000 souls in Earwa, but what about the other side of the Great Kayarsus? How about down south, past Cingulat? Or west, over the seas?

Surely the world does not just consist of Earwa and a little more to the right of the Kayarsus where the tribes came from?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 02:56:43 pm »
Lol - I'm not sure about the rules that number and how it applies to the greater narrative.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 08:15:34 pm »
Lol - I'm not sure about the rules that number and how it applies to the greater narrative.

Quite frankly, I think it's the most tossed around, useless piece of information in the book. That will not be how the Outside is shut off. You know it, I know it, we all know it. Just a biblical allegory thrown in there by the RSB, that is all.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Charvuu

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 09:40:12 am »
In all honesty, I never even thought of if as not being literal; I just assumed the number was actually of significance. Hearing what you both said was actually quite the revalation (har har)

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 11:02:19 am »
In all honesty, I never even thought of if as not being literal; I just assumed the number was actually of significance. Hearing what you both said was actually quite the revalation (har har)

I'm sure it's literal as far as the Inchoroi prophecy goes. I just don't think we'll see it happen. Or that it's necessary to shut off the Outside.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 02:37:28 pm »

Lol - for me it's a question of evidence. A lot of analysis has made reference to "144,000" bloated. WLW contains all three instances where it appears; a random reference by Achamian that the drug-addled Skin Eaters are running across the Istyuli (sp?) like the "144,000 of legend," Wutteat's mention that the Inchoroi have reduced world after world to that number, and an epigraph by Ganus the Blind. I'm undecided on what they mean.

Also, I just realized that the Inchoroi are actually contrasting the narrative in Revelations, wherein 144,000 are saved and then the rest of us have to live through a certain number of days while Hell runs free on Earth and those of us that survive that trial without being taken to Hell are allowed into Heaven as well.

Also, also, be wary of any TGO spoilers in this subforum until Orbit UK's release next month.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 02:40:22 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 06:46:20 pm »
If the No-God stops all natural births it'll only be a few generations before you can get the whole world population down to 144k.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 07:48:25 pm »
If the No-God stops all natural births it'll only be a few generations before you can get the whole world population down to 144k.

Which is presumably why they were so reticent on wheeling it out into open battle.  It seems it was the only option left in their minds?

Also, the only way that the 144,000 makes any sense is that it is a requisite number for something locally to happen.  If it could have been less, they could have just stayed in space where there is no one at all.  No, it can only be that they need a thing and that thing to be surrounded in some close proximity by 144k souls.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 09:19:26 pm »
Yeah I think it has to be 144k, in a very particular place. Wutteat claims this is the 'promised world'.

Yellow

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 08:44:50 pm »

I'm sure it's literal as far as the Inchoroi prophecy goes. I just don't think we'll see it happen. Or that it's necessary to shut off the Outside.
Is it possible that the 144k is one of the "untrue" prophecies that Aurang refers to when talking to skinny-Soma?

Hope not, personally - it was one of the most interesting hooks for me in WLW :)

You are the fist that beats us.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 08:49:09 pm »
Is it possible that the 144k is one of the "untrue" prophecies that Aurang refers to when talking to skinny-Soma?

Hope not, personally - it was one of the most interesting hooks for me in WLW :)

I wouldn't think so, it seems to be a Consult specific prophecy and seems to be what the was aiming for in the FA with the raising of the No-God.