What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: June 03, 2013, 04:02:11 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
Kellhus has two adopted children: Moenghus and Mimara

1) Fantasy, typically, has a trope of privileging "Blood" above all else.  Hertitage--with a capital H--matters.  If someone is 'adopted' it's a royal who is just lying in wait.  It's never the adopted family that matters, his blood always supersedes that relationship.

2) The Real World, typically, makes a big deal about how there is no difference between adopted children and 'blood' children.  There is much proclaiming that it makes no difference.

What if, in Earwa, Kellhus adopting the children makes them the same? What if adoption works metaphysically in Earwa the way that we say it works in the real world, there is nothing to distinguish them they are anasurimbor in soul now.  It's not just a nominal formality; they are his children.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 04:02:21 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
If sorcery is getting one over on the metaphysics of the world, perhaps you could get one over on it about adoption.

But you would know.

That's one of the funny things I run into in roleplay, where some outside standard is treated as being how things are - even as it's not actually outside, but under the manipulation of the person who treats it as how things are.

So maybe he gets the world/the metaphysics to treat the children as his own. So they are his own. ? . Except he'd know the past. And that this is his manipulation.

Why would you treat the metaphysics of the world as your compass, your idea of north, when you ply that compass with a magnet?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 04:02:32 pm »
Quote from: Duskweaver
It's clear, at least, that law and custom in both the Empire and Sakarpus would consider what Moenghus and Serwa are doing to be incest, even though they're not blood relatives. Serwa describes herself and Moe as fruit of a (singular) tree.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 04:02:39 pm »
Quote from: Madness
lockesnow, I'd weigh in on this, if I knew just why Mimara is protected by the Consult.

+1, Duskweaver, for observation - I guess, I could see how in an instance like that we could perceive evidence for the World and the Outside bending to such changes in... title, status?