More Subforums

• 37 Replies

Phallus Pendulus

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: December 16, 2013, 11:56:04 am »
Am I the only who would like more subforums, or at least a reorganization of the ones we have?

I'm talking mostly about "Misc Chatter". It's far too wide, and feels like a mess cause it spans so many different topics. At least, the Eärwa questions and the philosophy/science threads shouldn't be lumped together in "Misc Chatter". When I look at the home page, I'd like to see the newest posts in philosophy/science without having to go into sub-sub-subforums.

(The otherwise-shitty westeros.org at least has a "Gen Chat" subforum totally separate from the ASOIAF-related topics. Madness could do the same thing here.)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 12:49:31 pm »
Lol - is it wrong that I expected this post to be satirical?

To be fair, you're actually the first person I've read with a desire for more subforums on the main page.

I'm sure the spreading out of "Gen. Chat" is easily done but for my vote they'd be moved to the bottom of the categories (under Other or something)...

However, I do what I can to reflect communal consensus. I'd like to see a couple more forumers chime in here. Especially, on the topic of theme within Misc. Chatter because on Second Apocalypse 1.0, I'd (as one member among others) advocated for no Earwa topics in Misc. Obviously, the community decided otherwise.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 01:30:46 pm »
Lol, I think it is fine as it is. I spend most of my time in "misc" and have never thought that it needs to be improved.

whether new posts are one click away or two, does not make my blood boil with rage. Lazy yes, but not that lazy.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 09:00:47 pm »
Wish I could have weighed in earlier, though a whole 4 days isn't so late. I've been working 16 hours days so I haven't had the time to check my favorite site.

Anyway, Misc Chatter has 5 subforums already, which seems like plenty to me. However, it might still make sense to reorganize it. Really all the subforums under that are non-Earwa threads except for the base one. Of course it would be nice to get more than 4 or 5 opinions though :P.

I wouldn't be opposed to naming the base Misc Chatter to something more Earwa-related, but keeping the rest of the subforums lumped together like that.

I'd skeptical about adding too many subforums in general though. We don't want to scare people from posting because by making it frustrating to figure out which forum is best to place their thoughts. There should certainly be a kind of "catch-all" forum, and keeping it Earwa-free would be fine with me.

What about:
1) Moving Philosophy & Science, The Forum of Interesting Things , Writing, Literature , and RPG Discussion down to the bottom of the page, call it the General Discussion forum, and make it's header something like "Other topics(Non-Earwa)", and

2) Move Misc. Chatter out of "general discussion", with no subforums, and moving it down to Earwa underneath Atrocity Tales. This can remain the "catch-all" Earwa thread that it is now, but it will still have the effect your looking for.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 11:59:16 pm »
What about:
1) Moving Philosophy & Science, The Forum of Interesting Things , Writing, Literature , and RPG Discussion down to the bottom of the page, call it the General Discussion forum, and make it's header something like "Other topics(Non-Earwa)", and

2) Move Misc. Chatter out of "general discussion", with no subforums, and moving it down to Earwa underneath Atrocity Tales. This can remain the "catch-all" Earwa thread that it is now, but it will still have the effect your looking for.

I don't know if anyone cares for what I have to say at this point but I'll just note that I support this idea. I still find it a bit strange for general Eärwa talk to be lumped in with other Misc. topics under one forum, and I assume some newcomers have as well.

It would be better IMHO to have a 'General Earwa' forum (with no subs) at the top of the Earwa talk as you've outlined in point no. 2, which is similar btw to what the Westeros people have done with their ASOIAF board.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 01:06:56 am »
I appreciate.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 07:33:38 pm »
I don't know if anyone cares for what I have to say at this point but I'll just note that I support this idea. I still find it a bit strange for general Eärwa talk to be lumped in with other Misc. topics under one forum, and I assume some newcomers have as well.

It would be better IMHO to have a 'General Earwa' forum (with no subs) at the top of the Earwa talk as you've outlined in point no. 2, which is similar btw to what the Westeros people have done with their ASOIAF board.

Thanks for the input.  If more people put out their thoughts we'd be able to more quickly gauge interest and change accordingly. Madness, myself, and a handful of others get stuck with trying to figure out what the other 150 forumers are thinking, and I doubt we do a particularly good job.

Looks like so far we have 2 votes for change, 1 vote no, Madness abstaining until further interest is showed, and myself on the fence put leaning towards new forum/sub forum is we get some more votes.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 11:31:53 pm »
I'm actually thinking about going with you and Nskoghar...

It wouldn't take more than a couple minutes to clean up Misc. Chatter and make a General Earwa subforum in Earwa.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 04:03:49 pm »
I also think "General Earwa" subforum is a very good idea.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 05:54:17 pm »
Wow another vote! This is exciting.

Alright so this is what I came up with as a proposed change:

General
-> News/Announcements
->->Introduce Yourself

Earwa
->The Aspect-Emperor
->-> [subforums remain the same]
->The Prince of Nothing
->->[subforums remain the same]
->Atrocity Tales
->Misc Chatter

[Insert Title]
->The Forum of Interesting Things
->-> Philosophy & Science
->-> Writing
->->Literature
->-> RPG Discussion

Other Titles
[unchanged]

* [->]  main forum
**[->->] subforum

Notes:
The current non-earwa misc. chatter threads get more usage than the Other titles so it should be above that section.

We might consider renaming Misc. Chatter to something else that points more specifically to Earwa. This would allow us to then name the new forum "Misc. Chatter" and remove confusion.

I think "The forum of interesting things" is a good name for the main topic in the new section, and the rest be it's subforums.

One final thought, if The Almanac gets large enough, we might need to make that its own topic as well, and each book could be a sub forum. However, this irrelevant right now as it only has 1 book in it.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 12:25:29 am »
Wow another vote! This is exciting.

Lol. +1.

Earwa
->The Aspect-Emperor
->The Prince of Nothing
->Atrocity Tales
->Misc Chatter

Alternatively:

Earwa
General Earwa
The Rest As Is

[Insert Title]
->The Forum of Interesting Things
->-> Writing
->->Literature
->-> RPG Discussion

I definitely named and described The Forum of Interesting Things wrong. That subforum specifically was supposed to be for all the links people put on TPB comments. I have collected over six hundred of them and that doesn't include most of '13 since.

But we can definitely move the Subforums of General to the bottom of the page as Wilshire's suggested.

Other Titles
[unchanged]

I would still vote to keep this above the EDIT: General Subforums.

Notes:
The current non-earwa misc. chatter threads get more usage than the Other titles so it should be above that section.

We might consider renaming Misc. Chatter to something else that points more specifically to Earwa. This would allow us to then name the new forum "Misc. Chatter" and remove confusion.

Misc. Chatter could stay the same without the added "wild west" description of Earwa spoilers. "General Earwa" would become the new thread for the active Earwa topics in Misc. now.

One final thought, if The Almanac gets large enough, we might need to make that its own topic as well, and each book could be a sub forum. However, this irrelevant right now as it only has 1 book in it.

This would become a thing if persons other than I started the next chapter topic ;). We only have one more chapter for TDTCB (to be honest, I'm probably going to take the time to post this and maybe TWP Ch.1 as soon as possible)...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:12:52 am by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 12:47:06 pm »
Round 2:

General
-> News/Announcements
->->Introduce Yourself

Earwa
->General Discussion [All of the Earwa related discussions from Misc. Chatter]
->The Aspect-Emperor
->The Prince of Nothing
->Atrocity Tales

/b/  [working title :P]
->Misc. Chatter
->->The Forum of Interesting Things
->-> Writing
->->Literature
->-> RPG Discussion

Other Titles
[unchanged]

* [->]  main forum
**[->->] subforum

Notes:
I don't know that I agree with Madness on moving Misc. Chatter below Other Titles. I think if we make it as 1 main forum and a bunch of subs, it might be too easy to miss down at the bottom of the page. I would either prefer to have it above Other Titles as 1 main + subs, or moving it under Other Titles but Having multiple Mains (1 for each sub we currently have, or some other combination).

This would become a thing if persons other than I started the next chapter topic ;)

Took some notes on Chapter 1 TWP. I'll post when I'm done. Too late for me to go back to TDTCB though.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:51:11 pm by Wilshire »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 02:24:31 pm »
Lol - well then, Senhor, I counter with renaming Earwa and including the other titles under the changed headings.

You won't convince me that random conversation is more important for people to read about than all of the books themselves :P.

But I bow to the community, obviously.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 02:50:00 pm »
Its less about importance and more about ease of access. My two options remain as they are.

Guess we'll just have to wait for someone else to weigh in.