Study of Aporos Among Nonmen

• 27 Replies

Sausuna

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« on: August 23, 2017, 01:50:58 pm »
Hey,

I wasn't sure if this was at all a spoiler question, but let me know if I need to add any tags.

My question was about the Aporos. Do we know why Nonmen outlawed the study/practice of it?

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 02:54:18 pm »
I took it scared them, it did give rise to the Chorae - the Quya didn't want nothing to do with that. But I seem to remember a more specific response to it ( just can't remember ), maybe they saw or knew of a connection with that study and the techne and/or the Ishoroi and they were in conflict/war with them at the time.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Sausuna

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 01:45:02 pm »
Yeah, I searched around the books more, but couldn't really find the why. Though, I always got the impression that the study was outlawed before the Inchoroi came as well. But that might have just been an assumption of mine.

People discuss wanting to know more about the Psuhke, but I think learning more about the Aporos would be interesting. Seems like it would be markless as well, no? Can't recall sorcerer's seeing anything beings 'pinpricks of oblivion'.

JerakoKayne

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 03:32:45 am »
I can't remember exactly where I saw it, but I have the tickle of a memory regarding something about it being a sort of religious issue. The inference I made reading something was that it was Nonman heresy. More specifically, that the Aporos was a rejection of mainstream Cunoroi spirituality, or their notions of the gods and Outside and stuff.

That and they were filthy traitors.

Probably it was some entry in the original PoN glossary, since none of this stuff was ever clear to me, at all, in the story itself.

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 11:54:52 am »
IIRC, the order of events was:

1 - The Aporos is conceived of.
2 - A few Quya start experimenting with it.
3 - It is outlawed.
4 - Aporetic Quya unwilling to give up their research defect and flee to the Ark.
5 - Aporetic Quya working in the Ark create the first Chorae.

It's pretty clear that Chorae were invented after the Aporos was already forbidden and cannot therefore be the reason for the ban. It's also clear that the Aporetics defected after the ban, so that defection/treason also cannot be the reason for the ban.
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 12:40:41 pm »
One thing about that timeline does not make sense. Sarkapus. They had a huge chorae hoard, by that timeline, did the Consult give them the chorae? No, I'd say that chorae had something to do with the ban.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 02:38:10 pm »
One thing about that timeline does not make sense. Sarkapus. They had a huge chorae hoard, by that timeline, did the Consult give them the chorae? No, I'd say that chorae had something to do with the ban.
Sakarpus did not exist when Aporos was prohibited in Nonmen society, since it was way before the Breaking of the Gates.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 02:40:17 pm »
Ok. Well wonder how that got a c horae hoard then if the Apororetic sorcerers are at the Ark?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 02:49:23 pm »
Ok. Well wonder how that got a c horae hoard then if the Apororetic sorcerers are at the Ark?
Sakarpus was probably just amassing Chorae available in the Ancient North, the same way a Three Seas nation could in the present.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 09:43:41 pm »
[/quote= Smilerloki]Sakarpus was probably just amassing Chorae available in the Ancient North, the same way a Three Seas nation could in the present.[/quote]

I don't think so. In the the Three-Seas the are treasured. Passed from father to son, or have enormous worth to purchase one. No one has a hoard, certainly. Recall. Maithenet have the Scarlet Spires 4, and that was regarded as hugely significance. No, the TS's possess nothing compared to the board of Sarkapus.

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 04:10:40 pm »
I don't think so. In the the Three-Seas the are treasured. Passed from father to son, or have enormous worth to purchase one. No one has a hoard, certainly. Recall. Maithenet have the Scarlet Spires 4, and that was regarded as hugely significance. No, the TS's possess nothing compared to the board of Sarkapus.
As far as I recall the First Holy War, there is quite a significant amount of Chorae in the Three Seas (the TTT glossary references "thousands"), and tens of thousands were manufactured during the Cuno-Inchoroi Wars. The Hoard of Sakarpus was presented as notable, but not overwhelming, considering those numbers. It's just some of many Chorae lost during the Apocalypse.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 06:18:51 pm »
Quote from:  SmilerLoki
The Hoard of Sakarpus was presented as notable, but not overwhelming, considering those numbers.

It seemed vast enough for Kellhus to deem in necessary to have for The Ordeal. And, I think thousands and tens of thousands is quite a gap in number. And, where did you get info on the amount of c horae Sakarpus has? Notable, but not overwhelming? Never heard that before.

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 04:25:50 am »
It seemed vast enough for Kellhus to deem in necessary to have for The Ordeal. And, I think thousands and tens of thousands is quite a gap in number. And, where did you get info on the amount of c horae Sakarpus has? Notable, but not overwhelming? Never heard that before.
No, no, that's not textual evidence, it's just my interpretation of Kellhus's actions. He considered the Hoard big enough to have (and why not? even 20% increase of the Ordeal's Chorae is fairly significant), but never once was it postulated in the narrative that the Hoard is something miraculous. It was always just "many Chorae in one place", but its origin isn't even discussed by the characters, which implies it's no secret in the Three Seas.

So my understanding is, the Hoard is the Chorae stores of Inweära (presumably a nation of the Ancient North), of which only the city of Sakarpus remains after the Apocalypse.

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 09:47:59 am »

The Consult gave loads of Chorae to the Men of Eanna prior to the Breaking of the Gates. Along with the Tusk. And the instruction from "The Gods" (*snort!*) to invade Earwa and kill the Nonmen.

All Chorae possessed by Men are ultimately gifts from the Consult. Nothing at all to do with the Siqu / Nonman Tutelage. The Aporos had been forbidden for thousands of years before the Tutelage began.
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 10:00:58 am »
The Consult gave loads of Chorae to the Men of Eanna prior to the Breaking of the Gates.
I agree on all accounts except that it was even before the Consult. The Inchoroi gave Chorae and the Tusk to the Tribes of Men.

The Consult began with the School of Mangaecca breaking into the Ark and finding Aurax and Aurang.
Quote from: R. Scott Bakker, "The Unholy Consult", the Encyclopaedic Glossary, "Consult"
The Mangaecca raised Nogaral upon Viri soon after, pretending to plumb the destroyed Nonman Mansion while in fact plumbing the Upright Horn—the intact heart of the Incû-Holoinas. At some point in their exploration they discovered and awakened the Last Inchoroi, Aurax and Aurang, at which point Cet’ingira ceased being Siqu and Shaeönanra ceased being Grandmaster of the Mangaecca, and the Unholy Consult of the Halaroi, Cûnuroi, and Inchoroi was born, a pact between the most brilliant and fearsome souls of all three races, an oath to destroy the World.