New Cover Discussion

• 25 Replies

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« on: October 20, 2015, 08:53:53 pm »
Not that the forum noticed but the cover art is up on amazon as well. Release date thread is locked.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 12:02:01 pm »
Not that the forum noticed but the cover art is up on amazon as well. Release date thread is locked.

thanks for the info, i just cannot get excited about that look :(

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 12:08:15 pm »

thanks for the info, i just cannot get excited about that look :(

Yeah, my TJE and WLW sit on my shelf with no dust jackets.  I lost/threw them away.  While I didn't do it purposely, it's really wasn't an accident either...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 03:35:32 pm »
Worst English version cover so far imo
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 08:25:24 pm »
Worst English version cover so far imo

Yeah... no.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 08:56:36 pm »
Lol - yeah. There's a whole unfortunate series of face covers...
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 09:43:59 pm »
Before I weigh in on covers, can anyone elaborate on exactly why they feel the 'face' covers are so crap?
No whistling on the slog!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 09:50:05 pm »
Well, I know very little about the study of art and only a little bit more about why the brain seems to find certain principles in art more aesthetically attractive than other particular visual cues...

But I "feel" like the Rankine series (TWP, for instance) is on the other spectrum of quality covers than the face series.

EDIT: Also, let it be officially declared by myself that I'd love to see Somnambulist do the next cover and/or illustrated editions of PON, TGO, TUC, whatever.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 09:58:04 pm »
Speaking of faces, someone mentioned on the other board that this face is a blind man with a serpent. Wonder what people here think about that.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 10:02:28 pm »
Lol, come on, buddy!  I appreciate the 'United Nations' answer, cuz Kellhus knows I've given a shit-ton of them in my own life. :)

Are the Rankine covers the originals from Canada?  Like, the ones you're used to?  Taking nothing away from them at all, because they're elaborately beautiful (imo), but I wonder if it's a mental connection to the text.  The copy of TDTCB I found/bought all those years ago was the face cover.  TBH, it's one of the reasons I bought the book.  It was dark, mysterious, serious looking, and along with the title, just blew away every other book in the 'fantasy' genre that was out at the time (that I remember, anyway).  So, I wonder if that's my mental connection.  Like, that's the way it's supposed to look or something, so I'm partial to those covers now.

I just found it interesting how a few of you seem to despise those face covers.  Maybe if the one I'd bought had been a Rankine version, I'd feel the same way.  Just thought it was curious.

Now you can blast me for liking the face ones.  Ooh, I can feel the damnation welling up...

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 12:01:21 am »
Lol - yeah, the Rankine series are the original PON covers in Canada. Though, I've also seen a fair number of these (TWP) circulating, which I find satisfying on the spectrum somewhere between the Rankine pieces and the face.

Aside factoid, the face is apparently some editor or agent's nephew or something, as I recall - I'll try and find the comment from Bakker at some point (I want to say it's on TPB somewhere).

Absolutely, first impressions bias us. So does knowledge. Wilshire knows more of the exactitudes than anyone but the Rankine cover script is actually something Rankine/Bakker devised - as far as I recall, it's a transcribed quote from the books that Bakker chose and a set of King Crimson lyrics that Rankine chose. Knowing that has undoubtedly coloured my arbitrary perception/projection of "quality."

Someone else asked a similar question on Westeros and no one answered them, though I did a little research in an attempt. This was the most enlightening piece of opinion I could find and, to be honest, in giving it thought here, the face covers aren't necessarily "breaking" any of those "rules."

That's just my stream of consciousness thoughts on the subject.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 01:44:52 am »
Thanks for that link about cover design.  Bookmarked.  Takes me back to all that design theory stuff in school.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 05:14:29 am »
Lol - yeah, the Rankine series are the original PON covers in Canada. Though, I've also seen a fair number of these (TWP) circulating, which I find satisfying on the spectrum somewhere between the Rankine pieces and the face.

Aside factoid, the face is apparently some editor or agent's nephew or something, as I recall - I'll try and find the comment from Bakker at some point (I want to say it's on TPB somewhere).

Absolutely, first impressions bias us. So does knowledge. Wilshire knows more of the exactitudes than anyone but the Rankine cover script is actually something Rankine/Bakker devised - as far as I recall, it's a transcribed quote from the books that Bakker chose and a set of King Crimson lyrics that Rankine chose. Knowing that has undoubtedly coloured my arbitrary perception/projection of "quality."

Someone else asked a similar question on Westeros and no one answered them, though I did a little research in an attempt. This was the most enlightening piece of opinion I could find and, to be honest, in giving it thought here, the face covers aren't necessarily "breaking" any of those "rules."

That's just my stream of consciousness thoughts on the subject.
I like both the face and rankine covers but I strongly dislike the cover linked here. The face covers are probably better at selling the book than either of the others.

Does the face cover on the first series indicate it's in a third printing run?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 01:47:41 pm »
I just know that the faces have nothing to do with the series. I asked bakker about them, he doesn't even know who the guy is or why they picked it.

On the other hand, the rankine covers bakker worked with rankine on the design and its a beautiful artistic rendition of some psedu-earwe text. So not only is it unique and beautiful, it's significant to the text. The face... is just some random guys face.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 02:20:52 am »
I have the face covers. The only one i did not have was the WLW one which was the weird looking dude on the circumfix, I ordered that directly from Canada as it was the quickest way to read the book. All my face books are still intact while the Canadian one broke into bits ages ago, even though it is significantly younger and less thumbed.