H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« on: August 23, 2016, 09:02:21 pm »
So, I've had a thread for discussing the whole series here.  This will include spoilers for The Fifth Season and The Obelisk Gate.

We get some interesting in information in TOG, regarding how the Earth was basically ruined and if your eBook or regular book had the sample chapter, who did it.

One thing that stood out to me was that it seems my speculation on the Guardians being part of Father Earth was somewhat wrong?  It's not entirely clear, but it certainly seems like the Guardians are part of the deadciv that Alabaster visits on the other side of the world.  Or a derivative thereof perhaps?  It also seems like Orogenes are the main driver of everything, Guardians get power from them and stone-eaters were once them before they changed.

More later, in the mean time, discuss.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 10:17:29 pm »
Didn't read your post H. But about 1/3 of the way through and really liking it. I think Mass in he's the biggest role to come. I love how magic is being introduced and that Schaffa has disavowed the Gaurdians and is work I g on fixing the Earth. I'm sure it's getting ready to take off at this point of the book. And Alabaster, he knows what needs to be done, just come on already and let us all know.......
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 03:22:34 pm »
H, I have about 75 pages to go. Honestly, not as impressed with this one as I was with the first. Though, that might change when I finish up tonight.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 06:14:43 pm »
H, I have about 75 pages to go. Honestly, not as impressed with this one as I was with the first. Though, that might change when I finish up tonight.

Indeed, it did not seem quite as good as the first, but I still felt it was well worth reading, mostly to figure out what the hell is really going on.

Don't forget to read the sample chapter at the end.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 06:26:38 pm »

Indeed, it did not seem quite as good as the first, but I still felt it was well worth reading, mostly to figure out what the hell is really going on.

Don't forget to read the sample chapter at the end.

Will do. I liked it, we get more world building and such, more answers, more mysteries. Just not as much going on, a little too slow paced.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 02:05:57 am »
So, it's our Earth. And, we desstryed it once already. I agree with your post at Westeros, that Father Earth is a entity that was awaken when Orogenes, Guardians and whoever else started fucking with him.

The magic is what ties everything together for me. It turns oroogenes into Stone Eaters, it's wheat controls the Obelisks and the Guardians. The question is, who is behind the magic? So, Schaffa seems to want Nassun to bring the moon back, isn't that what How wants Essun to do also? Is that what Alabaster was trying to do also? Or, was he just trying to completely destroy the world, a and wants Essun to finish it off? Confused about that part of it.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 11:54:49 am »
So, it's our Earth. And, we desstryed it once already. I agree with your post at Westeros, that Father Earth is a entity that was awaken when Orogenes, Guardians and whoever else started fucking with him.

The magic is what ties everything together for me. It turns oroogenes into Stone Eaters, it's wheat controls the Obelisks and the Guardians. The question is, who is behind the magic? So, Schaffa seems to want Nassun to bring the moon back, isn't that what How wants Essun to do also? Is that what Alabaster was trying to do also? Or, was he just trying to completely destroy the world, a and wants Essun to finish it off? Confused about that part of it.

I think Magic is just the basic substrate of life and/or the universe.  Some things can just happen to tap into it.

I think it all went downhill in every way once they built Corepoint.  It was exploitative to a whole new level, basically sapping the Earth at a more fundamental level than ever before.  Perhaps that taping into of is what awoke Father Earth.  Perhaps it's deeper, like Father Earth is the original, substantially more powerful precursor to Stone Eaters?

As for Schaffa, I can't get a good read on what the hell he is really up to.  I guess he wants to bring the moon back, because it seems he is at odds with the other Guardians.  But I really can't tell what it is he wants, besides his desire to protect Nassun.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 12:04:47 pm »
Well the Magic is what turns a Orogene into a stone water when they make a circuit with the Obelisks. Its also what is used to control Guardians through their Corestone. So someone or something is using it to effect a LOT of things. Who do you believe is behind the Guardians?

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 03:30:51 pm »
Well the Magic is what turns a Orogene into a stone water when they make a circuit with the Obelisks. Its also what is used to control Guardians through their Corestone. So someone or something is using it to effect a LOT of things. Who do you believe is behind the Guardians?

Oh, I'm definitely thinking it is Father Earth.  That quote from the "defective" Guardian in TFS, where she says "it seeped in to their perfect creation" mixed with Schaffa recalling the wire-chair they used to make him a Guardian once had another purpose, definitely leads me to believe that Father Earth "converted" a rival bunch of Orogenes to try to stop Corepoint.

Of course, then it all went even further awry when the Obelisks went and got used as a weapon, further escalating things.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 03:36:51 pm »

Oh, I'm definitely thinking it is Father Earth.  That quote from the "defective" Guardian in TFS, where she says "it seeped in to their perfect creation" mixed with Schaffa recalling the wire-chair they used to make him a Guardian once had another purpose, definitely leads me to believe that Father Earth "converted" a rival bunch of Orogenes to try to stop Corepoint.

Of course, then it all went even further awry when the Obelisks went and got used as a weapon, further escalating things.

So if Father Earth controls the Gaurdians, why would he be opposed to bringing the moon back and thus restoring balance to Earth. Something I just can't get to line up and make sense, H.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 03:53:45 pm »
So if Father Earth controls the Gaurdians, why would he be opposed to bringing the moon back and thus restoring balance to Earth. Something I just can't get to line up and make sense, H.

Well, recall that they defective Guardian that begins "speaking for" Father Earth is killed straight away by Schaffa wile she questions Tonkee and Essun about the socket.  So, while they are created by Father Earth, I don't think they are subservient to His will, per se, unless they allow themselves to be.  That was what I was saying over at Westeros, is that the parasitic relationship between a Guardian might perhaps override or reduce the need for a parasitic (and so controlled) relationship with Father Earth.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 03:44:35 pm »
FYI, there is a goodreads 'best fantasy books of 2016' and they have a limited selection for votes. Obelisk Gate is up there. (though, I imagine the new Harry Potter book will win regardless). I think I might add this series to my list if it is in fact very good.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 04:23:58 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 05:29:16 pm »
FYI, there is a goodreads 'best fantasy books of 2016' and they have a limited selection for votes. Obelisk Gate is up there. (though, I imagine the new Harry Potter book will win regardless). I think I might add this series to my list if it is in fact very good.

Wilshire, add it to your reading list. I really enjoy the series. There are a bunch of mysteries. Quite frankly, I am astonished that (at Westeros) these books aren't discussed more than they are. It's a little like TSA, as in there are so many unknowns, with clues to what they may be. I really think that you would like them.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 03:34:16 pm »
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 03:45:05 pm »
Just saw this. I figured you two may want a recap :
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/6ttuug/the_obelisk_gate_recap_spoilers/

Neat, thanks.

I started it yesterday but, of course, I forgot it to bring it to work this morning...