• 36 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 06:47:06 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
Can't say that I know that much about it Sharmat.
I was assuming genetic engineering meant adding traits over successive generations because of the reference to heredity.
Apologies.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 06:47:11 pm »
Quote from: The Sharmat
No, that would be selective breeding...which is technically a very primitive form of genetic engineering. Apologies for the confusion. I merely meant that the sorcery trait had to have a genetic or epigenetic basis because it was a heritable trait.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2014, 01:09:48 pm »
- insofar as seswatha might belong to kellhus parentage AND that seswatha might have started some breeding lines outside of atyersus, kellhus and akka could be distant cousins?
- what is madness talking about on p. 1 about generational stacking?
- what if ieva conceived after laying with NC for the last time?
- that whore's shells would be universal strikes me as a neat idea--think of the long term demographic impact!
- i don't understand callan's point on p. 2 about sorcery being heritable and the inchoroi getting it
- crackpot: if it's plausible to think that some seswatha blood is in the anasurimbor line, is it plausible to think that some anasurimbor is in the seswatha line?  anasurimbor -> seswathatha -> bastards of atyersus -> akka, the last scion?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2014, 03:23:05 am »
Generational stacking I think is a referanced with the heritability of the Few's ability to do magic. I think the intent was to suggested that one with a lot of Quya/schoolmen blood would be a better sorcerer.

As for the Inchoroi, the Tekne works by genetic manipulations. If the Inchoroi where able to figure out how to splice sorcery into their genome, then it simply must be a heritable trait.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 03:26:06 am by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2014, 05:12:46 am »
As for the Inchoroi, the Tekne works by genetic manipulations.

That is an assumption that fails to explain the weapons of light, the inverse fire and space travel. 

I think perhaps the Tekne is a different form of magic than sorcery but still non-mundane.  Some type of magical 'nanites' that proliferate and change self-similar patterns in complex fractal sets; corrupting form without accessing the power of meaning from the outside.

(You can use the Asimov definition of magic here if you want)
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2014, 04:23:52 pm »
I don't think the Tekne need describe everything that the inchoroi do/have. Tekne is used to their genetic manipulations, but the other things you mentioned are just technology that any space faring civilization would have.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2014, 02:15:18 am »
Fair point, pretty nebulous thing to speculate on -  we know less about the laws of physics and biology in the Earwaverse than we do about their metaphysics.
I'm getting sidetracked on it anyway.  Might move my related thoughts to another thread later.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.