POV's in TGO/TUC

• 36 Replies

Old Gnostic Fool

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: March 21, 2018, 12:17:38 am »
I noticed that the PON wiki doesn't have them up on it's page so I'd like to confirm them. I've already read the books, but I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything and maybe even add them to the Wiki in the future.

TGO:

Achamian
Mimara
Korringhus
Sorweel
Serwa
Proyas
Saubon
Kellhus
Esmenet
Kelmomas
Malowebi
Issiral (White Luck Warrior)

TUC:

Achamian
Mimara
Esmenet
Kelmomas
Sorweel
Proyas
Moenghus
Malowebi/Ciphrang
Serwa
Kalakiol (another Ciphrang)
Aurang
Cnaiur? (was that his POV at the end)
Sacarees? (Did we get his POV during the battle?)

Am I'm missing anything? I hope this topic is in the right forum as the books have been out for quite a while now.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 12:47:08 am »
I think the Boy has one or two sections from his POV at the end of TGO. Otherwise, it seems right to me. :)

Feel free to add them to the wiki whenever you want to, it definitely needs more work and all help is appreciated. ;)
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 01:28:07 am »
Doesn't Psatma Nannaferi have some povs in TGO too? Or am I misremembering?

Old Gnostic Fool

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 01:45:16 am »
Doesn't Psatma Nannaferi have some povs in TGO too? Or am I misremembering?

I don't think so. She had a few in TJE and one in TWLW, but that's about it.

Old Gnostic Fool

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 01:46:43 am »
I think the Boy has one or two sections from his POV at the end of TGO. Otherwise, it seems right to me. :)

Feel free to add them to the wiki whenever you want to, it definitely needs more work and all help is appreciated. ;)

I don't remember the Boy having a POV in TGO. I always thought it was Korringhus the whole way through, but I could be misremembering.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 01:56:11 am »

I don't remember the Boy having a POV in TGO. I always thought it was Korringhus the whole way through, but I could be misremembering.
There's one when he's escaping from the Scylvendi and the thing impersonating Serwë.

Old Gnostic Fool

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 09:52:35 pm »
Is that in the TGO?

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 09:56:35 pm »
There's one when he's escaping from the Scylvendi and the thing impersonating Serwë.

That's the one. :)

Is that in the TGO?

Yes, close to the end.

I remembered something else, in TUC there is also at least one section (though I think it's only the one) from the point of view of Mirshoa, the young Ainoni who first finds Skuthula.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."

Old Gnostic Fool

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 10:20:49 pm »

That's the one. :)

Is that in the TGO?

Yes, close to the end.

I remembered something else, in TUC there is also at least one section (though I think it's only the one) from the point of view of Mirshoa, the young Ainoni who first finds Skuthula.

I completely missed that. Finding out the minor POV's is always a blast. PON was awash in them, but I feel like they are mostly non-existent in AE, with some exceptions in the final volume.

Old Gnostic Fool

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 08:50:58 pm »
I was checking out the PON wiki yesterday and I found a few from The Judging Eye that I don't seem to recall.

It says that the White Luck Warrior has one in this novel. I think he was introduced in the selfsame novel WLW.
Who are the Scribe and Sranc that are also mentioned?
I'm guessing the Traveller refers to the prologue, where it is assumed that Sarl is the one in question.

http://princeofnothing.wikia.com/wiki/The_Judging_Eye_(Book)

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 08:59:03 pm »
I was checking out the PON wiki yesterday and I found a few from The Judging Eye that I don't seem to recall.

It says that the White Luck Warrior has one in this novel. I think he was introduced in the selfsame novel WLW.
I'm guessing the Traveller refers to the prologue, where it is assumed that Sarl is the one in question.

While my wiki edits haven't extended to book and POV pages yet, I can confirm that the White-Luck Warrior is indeed a POV character in TJE (I noticed that during my recent rework of the character list). He is "possessed" by the White-Luck and leaves his house and family just immediately before the whole building (neighbourhood?) collapses and kills everyone inside.

Can't remember where the Scribe and the Sranc come into play, but I can check if you want to.

I agree with you in that the Traveller refers to the prologue character. As far as I remember it was never confirmed that it was Sarl... I don't think it is him, because Sarl later mentions to Achamian he has been with the Captain since (at least) the time of the Holy War.

Old Gnostic Fool

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 03:43:06 am »

While my wiki edits haven't extended to book and POV pages yet, I can confirm that the White-Luck Warrior is indeed a POV character in TJE (I noticed that during my recent rework of the character list). He is "possessed" by the White-Luck and leaves his house and family just immediately before the whole building (neighbourhood?) collapses and kills everyone inside.

Can't remember where the Scribe and the Sranc come into play, but I can check if you want to.

I agree with you in that the Traveller refers to the prologue character. As far as I remember it was never confirmed that it was Sarl... I don't think it is him, because Sarl later mentions to Achamian he has been with the Captain since (at least) the time of the Holy War.

Thanks a lot.

It would be nice to see the POV section extended for TGO and TUC. In fact, TGO doesn't even have it's own page until now.

Who is the character who gets possessed by the White luck in TJE. Even though I only read the series a few months ago, I don't remember anything close to that scene. It's probably my fault, as I tend to miss some of the more obvious things.

I guess it's already time for a reread. ;D

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 10:17:46 am »
Thanks a lot.

It would be nice to see the POV section extended for TGO and TUC. In fact, TGO doesn't even have it's own page until now.

Who is the character who gets possessed by the White luck in TJE. Even though I only read the series a few months ago, I don't remember anything close to that scene. It's probably my fault, as I tend to miss some of the more obvious things.

I will try to add those updates to the wiki when I can. ;)

We never know the actual name of the man who becomes the first White-Luck Warrior, he is just referred to as such and later as Issiral.

To be sure, it's a short passage, so it's not hard to forget it's there. :) But rereads are always a good way to find things you hadn't noticed before!

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 02:13:55 pm »
Just remembered - the Scribe refers to that letter at the very beginning of TJE (even before the Prologue). I think most people tend to forget about that one, I certainly did.

EDIT: The Sranc part is also at the beginning, I was being foolish and looking for it later in the book. It's a section in the Prologue immediately before the Traveller POV.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 02:48:22 pm by ThoughtsOfThelli »

Old Gnostic Fool

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 12:23:18 am »
Thanks a lot.

I will try to add those updates to the wiki when I can. ;)

We never know the actual name of the man who becomes the first White-Luck Warrior, he is just referred to as such and later as Issiral.

To be sure, it's a short passage, so it's not hard to forget it's there. :) But rereads are always a good way to find things you hadn't noticed before!

I'll have to look into it, as I always thought that Issiral was the first WLW.

I'm also not too sure if I got all the POV's for TUC entirely nailed down, due to the constantly changing narrative used throughout the battle of Golgotterath.

Was the Mandate grandmaster (Sacarees) a POV or were those sections part of the omniscient narrator perspective.