Hiding your Voice

• 55 Replies

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 10:26:15 pm »
All the jokes a man would have made, now resided upon his arms...

Thanks, Borque.

Do the gill lines mean the inchies are genuinely an alien species? I mean why add that, when yo a sex machine? It sounds like a remnant? Anyway, that's a bit off topic, but had to be said. ;)

Borque

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 02:49:45 pm »
Do the gill lines mean the inchies are genuinely an alien species? I mean why add that, when yo a sex machine? It sounds like a remnant? Anyway, that's a bit off topic, but had to be said. ;)
I think they added them. They would be very useful for raping various ocean creatures. And in jacuzzis.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 04:21:47 am »
There are animals with gills that can breathe air.

I'm quite certain the Inchoroi are an alien species, since their native language is outside the range of human hearing, and they had to modify themselves just to be able to communicate with the Nonmen.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 01:31:06 pm »
I've always thought the Inchoroi are aliens - science-fiction crossover told strictly from a fantasy perspective.

It complicates things if they are Ciphrang.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 06:28:38 am »
Imagine the poor scifi invaders' surprise when they discover they crash-landed on fantasy planet, and instead of just blowing up the iron age savages with their superior tech, it turns out the savages can shoot down all their stuff by firing magical lasers from their hands, and have bullshit like impossible flying chariots.

It's just not fair.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 06:15:54 pm »
Lol - excepting that they, apparently, wanted to find a world like Earwa eventually...
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 09:38:12 pm »
Imagine the poor scifi invaders' surprise when they discover they crash-landed on fantasy planet, and instead of just blowing up the iron age savages with their superior tech, it turns out the savages can shoot down all their stuff by firing magical lasers from their hands, and have bullshit like impossible flying chariots.

It's just not fair.

lmao yes. Its like playing a game as a kids and that one jackass always says "no you didn't kill me, I'm wearing magical bullet-proof armor", except the magic is real and the Inchoroi really couldn't hurt them.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 07:42:20 pm »
It's weird that "hiding your voice" seems like a project similar to what the Consult achieve in creating a thing that the gods cannot see.  Do not know what it means

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 03:56:55 am »
Hiding your voice would--would this mean overwriting the god's song with your own but making the amendments seem like the god's song?  This would seem to suggest that the Cishaurim are the ultimate at "hiding voice."  But it seems terribly unlikely that humans would stumble upon a method that the nonmen knew nothing about.  I wonder if we'll see something in Ishterebinth that is effectivey the Nonman way of doing the Cishaurim thing...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 04:49:45 pm »
Good point. Why would the Nonmen, who spent millenium trying to hide from the Gods, never find an answer like the Psuke.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 04:15:09 pm »
Lol - excepting that they, apparently, wanted to find a world like Earwa eventually...
I'm not sure they knew that their promised world would manifest its properties specifically in that way though. I imagine it was more of an "Ah, that makes sense" moment after the fact when they first saw sorcery than "Sorcery! Just what we've been looking for!"

Good point. Why would the Nonmen, who spent millenium trying to hide from the Gods, never find an answer like the Psuke.
Well

1. We don't really know that the Cishaurim aren't all damned.

and

2. Developing the Psukhe is apparently something that is only obvious to you as something you can do if you're the very rare combination of being one of the Few and totally blind. Doubt that's happened that often. And when it has there's a decent chance they've already learned other sorcery and would just use that rather than realizing they've stumbled upon an entirely new metaphysics. Although that obviously can sometimes have strange results like Titirga and his somewhat less offensive bruise.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 08:03:55 pm »
If the Psuke is indeed significantly different, its not difficult to understand that it was a path that no one saw. If all you have is a hammer, all your problems look like nails, as they say.

Even still though, the timescales we are looking at really would seem to suggest that the nonmen should have had so development of the Psuke, unless there is some reason that they cannot wield it. A whole lot can happen with 10,000 years of metaphysical tinkering. Then again, the mighty detest change. A problem with overarching civilizations and stagnation.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 08:55:57 pm »
If I were the Scarlet Spires, I'd experiment with blindness and whatever else besides.

Garet Jax

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 03:21:47 pm »
If the Psuke is indeed significantly different, its not difficult to understand that it was a path that no one saw. If all you have is a hammer, all your problems look like nails, as they say.
...unless there is some reason that they cannot wield it...

This is where I think the issue is.  I always understood the Psukhe as the dispensing of an emotion/passion that matches the "Solitary God's".  If that is true, wouldn't the Nonmen be literally incapable of doing so if they worship the spaces between the gods?

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 04:42:00 pm »
Moenghus could use the Psukhe and his worship of the Solitary God was a sham.

Now Kellhus concludes that his strength in the Psukhe was quite feeble, but that's not the same as being incapable of wielding it.