"the golden age" by John C Wright

• 7 Replies

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« on: September 04, 2013, 07:06:25 am »
I have worked very hard with my English for the last 5-6 years,with one single purpose:To be able to read and learn about
various topics and read literature not available in my native tongue.
This trilogy really tested me.It is like a Ray Kurzweil wet dream,a crazy neuroscientist dropping acid and letting his imagination run amok.This may be the most creative sci-fi I have come across so far,and the word neurophilosofy comes to mind,if I must describe it in one word.
I would love the opinions from people who have read a lot of sci-fi and/or from people who have an interest in everything that begins with neuro,and futuristic utopias/dystopias.
Please read this.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 12:54:25 pm »
I have worked very hard with my English for the last 5-6 years,with one single purpose:To be able to read and learn about
various topics and read literature not available in my native tongue.

Your recommendations have been fairly solid for reading - any tips? How much did you practice? Was it immersion or rigorous conjugation?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 01:35:25 pm »
Well I can at least say that I didn't realize you were not a native English speaker, so good job there  ;). We'll see if I get to this series, I have quite the list now, but these seem interesting.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 06:19:19 pm »
Well,we start to learn English in school when we are 10 years old,so I have spoken and written the language just fine throughout the years.Did not read much in English though,not until I started on my university education where some of my courses had lots of English books.But in my personal fields of interest there are basically no books in my native tongue.So at one point I just started plowing through books in English,and as time flies by my understanding of concepts gradually gets better and better.It took me 6 months to get through the PON trilogy,because I read every chapter two and often three times:) I had to do it that way,because Bakker is......Bakker:) Every sentence is a roundtable discussion.

Thanks for that Wilshire,I hope you get to enjoy this one ;)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 06:29:17 pm »
It probably took me a lot longer to read it. Maybe not every chapter, but I definitely re-read plenty of pages and sentences. So much is missed the first time through that a second read through everything after you've completed it is highly recommended. I was blow away by home much better TSA was the 2nd time around.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 01:13:55 pm »
Lol. Thanks, Royce. I've probably learned more words reading them than being socialized and, thus, already suffer from poor pronunciation. But it's heartening to see such success in others.

I've read TSA... a number of times.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 04:52:53 pm »
It probably took me a lot longer to read it. Maybe not every chapter, but I definitely re-read plenty of pages and sentences. So much is missed the first time through that a second read through everything after you've completed it is highly recommended. I was blow away by home much better TSA was the 2nd time around.

I thought I had a decent understanding of the concepts in PON,until I found this forum :) You guys are insanely committed to pick Bakkers brain apart,and I love that :) I guess I have to read it several more times before I reach the level of discussion that arises on this forum.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 05:29:08 pm »
Nonsense  Royce. Just do what I do and simply pretend like you know as much as everyone else :). Really though, read it a 2nd time if you haven't and you'll be caught up to  me... Though if TUC is supposed to come out in about a year I might have to read it all again just to be sure I'm in the proper mindset. Maybe I'll buy the audiobooks and see if the reader is any good. I've found I have a weakness for well read books.