• 41 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: May 15, 2013, 12:36:28 am »
Quote from: jan
Have anyone here read the malazan books by Steven Erikson?

Since I just love Bakkers books,im a bit curious about mr Erikson and his tales

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 12:36:34 am »
Quote from: Madness
I made it to Midnight Tides and I was in love with the series... at some point, that love dwindled and I've not picked it back up - though I've read all his Korbal and Broach short stories. Even despite, some of my favorite fantasy characters ever appearing in the series.

Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, jan :).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:36:38 am »
Quote from: Davias
It's a good series and a few years ago, I would have said, it is among the best series of epic fantasy.

But after I have read Midnight Tides, my interest in the books dwindled slightly. I have only read his books in german and after Midnight Tides it took a long time before the next book came out. I have never had the intention to read his books in english. I bought the next two ( Reaper's Gale was split in two books, like all of Erikson's books in my language ), but didn't read it.

I have a few issues with the series. I like Erikson's worldbuilding and his ideas of magic, but I didn't like many characters in the books. The few characters I were interested in, were absent for thousands of pages and other characters annoyed me, especially the men and women of those different Malazan troops. All those mages and warriors were too similar in style and in their choice of words.

The new book "Forges of Darkness" seems to get deeper into the background story of my favourite character Anomander Rake and that has renewed my interest of the Malazan books slightly.

I think, when the whole series is translated, I will read them all again.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 12:36:44 am »
thank you madness:) great initiative creating this

Im kind of a newcomer to the fantasy genre,I have only read some some Robin Hobb,GRRM and Bakker

Bakker is by far my favorite,mostly because of the philosophical touch he has,which I loved.

So while we all are waiting for "the unholy consult", I guess im looking for something just as good:)

I was also wondering if anyone have read "the chronicles of Thomas Covenant" by Stephen Donaldson?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 12:36:50 am »
Quote from: Curethan
Deadhouse Gates was the only really good Erikson volume imo.  The others don't really live in the memory.

Stephen Donaldson I read a long time ago.  Quite inventive, but rather depressing - the main character is a real asshat.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 12:36:57 am »
Quote from: Wilshire
If you are looking for more suggestions, there is a, somewhat brief, discussion on various other books the people around here would recommend in the Literature board.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 12:37:31 am »
+1 for Deadhouse Gates, Curethan. Amazing book, even as just a stand-alone piece of Erikson's mosaic.

jan, I figure you'd enjoy the Tyrants and Kings trilogy by John Marco... last book suffers a little but The Grand Design is amazing as is the Jackal of Nar, though for quite different reasons (the latter is heavy, almost like fantasy trench-warfare, the former very political).

Hmm... Gemmell is always good for a real generic kick (nothing overly thought provoking).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 12:37:36 am »
Quote from: Mog Kellhus
I also abandoned the series after Midnight Tides.His books have some interesting scenes and good worldbuilding but i think the guy needs a better editor because all of them are too big and i always find it quite a slog to finish them.Deadhouse Gates is definitely my favourite,the chain of dogs storyline is excellent.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 12:37:58 am »
Quote from: Galbrod
I would say that the Malazan series (Steven Erikson and lets not forget Ian C Esslemont) is a definite must if you are a fan of extensive storylines of the gritty fashion. I started reading Gardens of the Moon a long time ago, but dropped it after a while. Some years later I picked it up again and I've read everything published in the series so far since then... The series draws heavily upon Steven's and Ian's experiences of roleplaying the Malazan setting. Whether that is a plus or a minus is strictly individual and (to some extent) dependent on your own attitude towards roleplaying. Personally, I love it and I've got the feeling that you can detect highlights from their gaming sessions in the wittiness of the dialogue. One of the key features of the storyline is the reshaping of the pantheon of the world as well as the ascendancy of worldly characters to levels of grandness and (ultimately) divinity.  In addition, I'd say that some parts of it (Deadhouse Gates primarily) is military fantasy at it's finest.

So, in short, a definate 'read' :-)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 12:38:10 am »
I would say that the Malazan series (Steven Erikson and lets not forget Ian C Esslemont) is a definite must if you are a fan of extensive storylines of the gritty fashion. I started reading Gardens of the Moon a long time ago, but dropped it after a while. Some years later I picked it up again and I've read everything published in the series so far since then... The series draws heavily upon Steven's and Ian's experiences of roleplaying the Malazan setting. Whether that is a plus or a minus is strictly individual and (to some extent) dependent on your own attitude towards roleplaying. Personally, I love it and I've got the feeling that you can detect highlights from their gaming sessions in the wittiness of the dialogue. One of the key features of the storyline is the reshaping of the pantheon of the world as well as the ascendancy of worldly characters to levels of grandness and (ultimately) divinity.  In addition, I'd say that some parts of it (Deadhouse Gates primarily) is military fantasy at it's finest.

So, in short, a definate 'read' :-)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 12:38:15 am »
Thanks for the comments gentlemen

To me "thought provoking" is an essential criteria for good literature(and reading in general),so that is definetely what im looking for:)

Many people are saying the main character in Donaldsons "the chronicles of Thomas Covenant" is almost unbearable at times,and put the books away because he is not easy to get along with

I think I will give that one a go:)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 12:38:25 am »
Galbrod: So you get more out of the books if you have a genuine interest in RPG?

Haven`t really done that you know:) I don`think playing Baldurs gate or Skyrim counts as RPG in that sense you are speaking of:)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 12:38:30 am »
Quote from: Truth Shines
I'd call those books world building gone mad, and he has this awful habit of ending practically every few pages with a cliffhanger, or some cryptic reference that won't get resolved (if at all) until another chapter, or more likely another volume.  I've long since exhausted all patience with it.  Not to mention all the stuff that just make no rational sense.

May Kellhus strike that series dead.  :)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 12:38:37 am »
What a wonderful thing that the exact same texts/books can have such a different impact upon each of us :-) Jan, playing RPG:s is (in my mind) definately not a prerequisite for enjoying the Malazan series, I just feel some positive energies from (what I assume is) some of Steven's and Ian's previous gaming sessions leaking out through the wittiness of the dialogue between characters in the books.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 12:38:42 am »
ah, sweet ambiguity, Galbrod. Let us sharpen our selves against these artifacts :).

I definitely can see how taking a roleplaying perspective enlightens the Book of the Fallen - it does seem to reflect the culmination of hundreds of failed and successful adventures.