• 29 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 02:29:48 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
well no one person will find all the flags.

And madness is putting a lot of segregation in place, a separate forum, and separate threads for each chapter.  That's also the point of a structured reread, so it's more precise for discussion. rather than a singular all-over-the-place thread.

And I'm not sure why we would want to read along with newbs, it's not story time where we read them aloud a chapter every night.  Nor do I think the point of a reread is to hold the hands of newbs and encourage them along in their reading while skulking about on tippytoes not to ever spoil things for them. 

Reading the sequels changes one's perceptions of the books and how one will interact with the text on a reread, I don't think we should be trying to suppress that for the sake of new readers--it'd be immensely frustrating and probably a futile gesture and impossible task as well.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 02:29:56 pm »
Quote from: Madness
I like the dialogue. The issue for me is that if I'm a new reader, looking for another interpretation of what I'm reading because writing is ambiguous and I'm not sure about my interpretation, then I am not going to want to read the thread on TDTCB Ch. 3 and hear about how it connects to something in WLW Ch. 8.

But again, this is why I encourage the dialogue. For my part, I say we limit our reread threads to only the Chapter we're on and anything we've covered before. I don't think it's difficult at all to be inspired in speculation by our reread and omit that spark from the reread threads and simply post a new thread or in an existing thread in Misc. Chatter and The Unholy Consult.

My ultimate fear would be that new readers can't go anywhere at all within the Second Apocalypse without encountering random spoilers. I do not want to cultivate an in-group mentality here.

I also second the 15th.

Edit: A metaphor of chroniclers vs. capture the flag mentality might be a better perspective to adopt. I mean, half the fun in this, is we will not agree on what happens in each chapter. We'll be building a wealth of data and interpretation to mine without the need for spoilers.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 02:30:04 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Im with madness. We already have plenty of stuff big picture ideas. What we could use some more on is the little stuff. And with building the littler stuff we will inevitably come up with more big picture stuff.

My vote is for no spoilers. The re-read should be for new people, a chance and a way for people to catch up. To level the playing field for the new and old, and that cannot be done with major spoilers. Like madness said, and I guess what I've been thinking, is that these boards are full of an in-group mentality and this would be a good way to help expand our little group.

I think it will help with developing new ideas, and actually make it easier to think  if we make this like a fresh start. It will also help up get rid of false information that we've remembered incorrectly.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 02:30:12 pm »
Quote from: Tony P
I maintain that we should limit ourselves to commenting on only things that have happened as we reread and continue making spoiler related posts and threads in Misc. Chatter and The Unholy Consult as we're inspired by the reread.

I’m going to try and participate. And keep up; I’m a bit busy these days, but with a bit luck I can make the five-day leap.

My two cents: I think the chapters should use spoiler tags for all stuff not in that chapter, so as not to spoil new readers looking for references.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 02:30:22 pm »
yeah, I'm going to find it completely impossible to attempt to talk about the chapter in a virginal vacuum, so I'll probably just put all my posts in spoiler tags.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 02:30:32 pm »
Quote from: Octavian
Just got wind of this, hope all is well with you guys. Needless to say, I am down and exited about this as it will be my first time ever being a part of something like this. Also, if I may give my two cents. I stumbled across the old Three Seas site while doing exactly want Madness said, looking for answers to questions about what I was reading at the time. Some of the threads I was able to read because they covered things I already read. Others not so much.

When I found my way to the ASOIAF threads, I found myself not being able to participate because I wasn't at the same place in the series as the other posters. Also I didn't want to spoil things for myself. So with that said, I think that if we are doing this in order to help promote discussion of the series amongst new readers, as well as ourselves, then I too vote for no spoilers. (If I get a vote that is)

Also, we are starting tomorrow the 15th and we read and discuss the chapter for 5 days, so until the 20th right? And then we start the following chapter.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 02:30:41 pm »
Quote from: generic
What would be the point of a spoiler free re-read? Especially given the layered nature of TSA?
I doubt many new readers would trawl a re-read thread for answers.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 02:30:49 pm »
You have a biased perspective right above yours, generic. Welcome btw :).

I'll be posting shortly about TDTCB, PRLG, shortly, but again, I don't think it will be difficult or tedious to do this. I think any dissenters will honestly be surprised about how much we disagree on Bakker's ambiguity in the first place.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 02:31:02 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
The point of a no spoiler re-read is because we already have forums full of spoilers. Pages and pages of spoiler ridden topics that all are free to add onto. In fact, not just free to add, but encouraged.

However the point of the re-read is to increase interest and traffic to this site and to Bakkers work. If the re-read with spoilers is what the people want, they can have it.

We should probably come to some kid of conclusion before we start making posts.

I know that myself, octavian, and madness are all for no spoilers.

Imparrhas, lockesnow, and Tony P are for spoilers (with spoiler tags)

3/7 no spoilers
3/7 for spoilers

Sorry if I missed someone who voted.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 02:31:09 pm »
if it's to be no spoilers, perhaps it should be called the Read section, rather than the Re-read section? :lol:

It should be interesting, so many people are convinced they can regain virginity, can't wait to see how this will work out.

On a serious note, I absolutely think that the sub-forum title should absolutely be changed, as the very term THE SLOG OF SLOGS is a spoiler and it is totally unfair to new readers to have that spoiled for them.

It's pretty amazing to think of all the things we will not be able to discuss in the prologue topic (when is that posting anyway?).  It will be tough to not mention Akka or Cleric or Cnaiur or Esmenet or Moenghus in reference to the events of the chapter.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 02:31:18 pm »
Quote from: Intuit
Speaking as a new reader of TDTCB I would love to see a forum devoted to individual chapter summaries, including the Prologue. At this point, I'm at pg. 70, assimilating the vast panorama of people, places, things as per the storyline is my only concern. And chapter summaries are valuable the deeper into Bk. 1 i read, as well as valuable to other new readers.  :)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 02:31:25 pm »
Apologies for the lack of a prologue topic, though I changed the subforum title, lockesnow. I'm about halfway through writing my post, having read the prologue on my plane ride as planned - the disturbing lack of thread is due to the fact that I wasn't on the flight I'd intended to catch. I will have it up promptly tomorrow morning.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 02:31:32 pm »
I note that if we'd done once a week, we'd be starting chapter 9 on thursday and if we'd stuck to every 5 days we'd be at chapter 12 today.  I'm amused that none of us have been able to keep up the arduous pace of the slog of slogs, nor have we been able to keep up the less arduous pace initially proposed! :D  Methinks we overestimate ourselves, somewhat...

(I do miss calling the subforum that, shame about the zero spoilers policy which necessitated it, maybe I should have just kept my trap shut. :p )

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 02:31:50 pm »
I think I'm chasing your posts around the forum right now.

Life happens. For me, hours at work picked up and school's another year more tedious and difficult. I tried to keep opening threads, despite my lack of actual post. The second time I missed starting the new thread, no one took the opportunity to begin another.

I do have plans to keep posting my reread synopses at my leisure and if that is the pace the "group reread" keeps unfolding, so be it.

Community is good :). We're doing alright considering a life span shy of half a year.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 02:31:58 pm »
I think I'm chasing your posts around the forum right now.

Life happens. For me, hours at work picked up and school's another year more tedious and difficult. I tried to keep opening threads, despite my lack of actual post. The second time I missed starting the new thread, no one took the opportunity to begin another.

I do have plans to keep posting my reread synopses at my leisure and if that is the pace the "group reread" keeps unfolding, so be it.

Community is good :). We're doing alright considering a life span shy of half a year.
indeed and me too on the life happens. I basically had a september work-hell where my hours went from 8ish on a bad day to 14 on a goodday.  I wasn't criticizing, just amusedly noting that when it comes to the slog of slogs, I'm just as out of breath 'reading' as if I were trotting my sorry ass along the Mop.