[TUC Spoilers] Ch. 1 & 2 Excerpts

• 90 Replies

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2017, 07:19:17 pm »
Nah I'm getting mine on 6th July. I've dealt with that now.

my madness would know no bridle if i started hunting bookshops for it. Plus the 5 days of having to hold my tongue on here is long enough.

I tell the most delicious lies.

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2017, 08:00:00 pm »
Like a rug.

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2017, 07:44:21 pm »
In the WHGB of TUC, I found this, concerning Yatwer arming Sorweel:

She also provides a murder weapon: a pouch that conceals sorcery-killing Chorae from sorcerous eyes.

Did I miss the pouch that conceals Choreae...? Or is this new?

Also,

Disaster strikes the westernmost contingent of the Host at Irsûlor, and the Great Ordeal loses a full quarter of their contingent, as well as the Vokalati, a Major School.

Should that not be the easternmost contingent?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 07:48:10 pm by Hiro »
Mystery denotes darkness

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2017, 09:54:20 pm »
The pouch is the one with the dragon claw mark on it, the one sorweel gets when his slave takes him to meet yatwer.

I think it should be eastern, as they were southron but then the GO re-orientated itself and they were on the eastern flank.

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2017, 10:38:14 pm »
The pouch is the one with the dragon claw mark on it, the one sorweel gets when his slave takes him to meet yatwer.

I think it should be eastern, as they were southron but then the GO re-orientated itself and they were on the eastern flank.

I understand that the Chorae was contained in a pouch, I did not understand that it had special properties. Was that anywhere in the text?
Mystery denotes darkness

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2017, 01:56:05 am »

I understand that the Chorae was contained in a pouch, I did not understand that it had special properties. Was that anywhere in the text?

Yeah he went to see Serwe and and she couldn't detect it in the pouch, Sorweel ruminates on it, probably in WLW somewhere.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2017, 02:50:47 am »

Yeah he went to see Serwe and and she couldn't detect it in the pouch, Sorweel ruminates on it, probably in WLW somewhere.

Then he gave it to Zsoronga and we don't see him at all in TGO, makes one curious.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2017, 02:59:56 pm »

Yeah WLW, Sorweel is in Serwe's tent alone, briefly, and he muses that he has the pouch on him and Serwe doesn't seem to be aware of him carrying a chorae or that she is in immediate danger as he was planning on killing her at the time.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MisterGuyMan

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2017, 03:17:16 pm »
Just wanted to share my backup plan for getting this book tonight.  I was going to download the VPN service, TunnelBear, which has a free 7 day trial.  I would use it to mask my IP address to be a UK address and then download the ebook from this website.

I would have tried it as soon as the clock struck midnight in the UK tonight and immediately shared my results with the people here if I succeeded but USPS' site just confirmed my UK book order is already out for delivery so I might not have to do this. 

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2017, 03:35:14 pm »
Just wanted to share my backup plan for getting this book tonight.  I was going to download the VPN service, TunnelBear, which has a free 7 day trial.  I would use it to mask my IP address to be a UK address and then download the ebook from this website.

I would have tried it as soon as the clock struck midnight in the UK tonight and immediately shared my results with the people here if I succeeded but USPS' site just confirmed my UK book order is already out for delivery so I might not have to do this. 
Such great lengths! Thanks for offering to share your experience.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Anwurat

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2017, 03:33:32 am »
in fact rereading the books there is almost never an example of a character looking like their mother, they always resemble their father.

Currently reading TUC, I came across this,

(click to show/hide)

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2017, 01:55:23 pm »
For those who have TUC, can you confirm if the excerpt available on the Amazon website contains the complete 2nd chapter? Because it seems to me that, while it is a bit longer than the kobo version, it doesn't quite end as it should if it was the whole chapter.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2017, 02:05:04 pm »
For those who have TUC, can you confirm if the excerpt available on the Amazon website contains the complete 2nd chapter? Because it seems to me that, while it is a bit longer than the kobo version, it doesn't quite end as it should if it was the whole chapter.

Can't get it to show up for me.  Let me know what words it ends on and I'll check.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2017, 02:16:25 pm »
Can't get it to show up for me.  Let me know what words it ends on and I'll check.

It ends with this sentence:

And his past had yet to be rewritten, the history of hating and, yes, even plotting against the Aspect-Emperor, this man who dared the Gods in the name of Men.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2017, 02:18:41 pm »

It ends with this sentence:

And his past had yet to be rewritten, the history of hating and, yes, even plotting against the Aspect-Emperor, this man who dared the Gods in the name of Men.

Then it is not all of Chapter 2, there is a fair bit to go after that.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira