Kellhus and the No-God

• 69 Replies

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2014, 02:20:51 pm »
I'm still not convinced. I think they're an artifact of raw faith. You believe in someone hard enough, you'll see halos.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2014, 12:41:26 am »
I'm still not convinced. I think they're an artifact of raw faith. You believe in someone hard enough, you'll see halos.
Same thing, to me. .
Thing is, several characters see the same thing without any collusion.  Imagine if all schizophrenics heard the same 'voices' and saw the same visual hallucinations.
Scientifically, we would be forced to consider that there was probably something consistent and external underlying the condition.
The 'halo-cinations' come from the outside.  Madness is a specific kind of belief, and insanity is described as the outside leaking into Earwa via the soul.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2014, 06:34:57 pm »
Same thing, to me. .
Thing is, several characters see the same thing without any collusion.  Imagine if all schizophrenics heard the same 'voices' and saw the same visual hallucinations.
Scientifically, we would be forced to consider that there was probably something consistent and external underlying the condition.
The 'halo-cinations' come from the outside.  Madness is a specific kind of belief, and insanity is described as the outside leaking into Earwa via the soul.

lovely!  kellhus' 'madness' is ajokli bleeding into the world!

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2014, 06:49:18 pm »
i think it's fun to imagine what would have happened at caraskand without the circumfix

either the zaudunyani miss sarcellus (so he doesn't run to conphas) or they straight up kill him, then martimus kills conphas and kellhus steps into the vacuum

he could always flee and plan to become a fanim prophet, but if he stays, he's facing a nearly impossible schedule of learning gnostic or anagogic sorcery so motivated the troops out of the gate is one big problem and getting them to win is another

maybe if he devoted himself to no other tasks, he could learn the simpler anagogis fast enough to warp out and assassinate the padirajah or do like his dad and warp the scarlet spires here and there, destroying shit and disappearing? 

maybe the cishaurim are the deciding factor whatever--they make sure that whatever kellhus does sees him dominating more people of the 3 seas???

maybe kellhus incites the zaudunyani to fight the orthodox as part of a pact with the padirajah?  or he simply has the holy war accept the padirajah's peace offering and he settles down somewhere in kian content to dominate the 3 seas more slowly?

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2015, 07:53:06 am »
Same thing, to me. .
Or something consistent and internal. Some paranoid delusions are far more common than others. My mother works at a mental hospital. A common phenomenon among their patients is "the Terminator thing". The idea that a revolt by intelligent machines is immanent.

Maybe the halos are consistent between crazy people because they're a consistent thing in Three Seas culture. (I say just for the sake of argument, I'm not totally convinced of that myself)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2015, 05:53:23 pm »
There are certainly a lot of cases of people experiencing similar hallucinations.  Government spying on you constantly and robots replacing people are somewhat common-ish delusions.

Like you said TS, its possible that halos are a common cultural thing and that crazies would happen to see the same thing, but it seems really unlikely, especially because we don't really see any mentally ill people in PoN (at least, not of the kind we are talking about).
One of the other conditions of possibility.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2015, 09:16:18 pm »
Everyone is a little bit crazy, though. Sanity being kind of arbitrary in a world where no one is truly objective can be argued to be a theme of the first trilogy.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2015, 02:56:34 am »
Not at all. If anything, the halo's point to an objectivity existing more profoundly in Earwa than irl.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2015, 03:50:22 am »
But they don't, necessarily, as has been discussed up thread.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "objective".

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2017, 05:14:12 am »
I guess it depends on what you mean by "objective".

I think the matter of objectivity and subjectivity, in particular the individual definitions/meanings of such things, are a theme that's pretty core to TSA and I suspect there will be some kind of reckoning regarding the nature of these concepts actually function in Earwa, come TUC.

As a result I'm of two minds about the halo's "being real". I do think there's an element of mass hysteria/delusion involved (somewhat only because I think that applies to basically everything in the series), but I think it may also be a commentary on that sort of thing, since we've been shown (repeatedly) what we as people from the Real World assume to be religious-mumbo-jumbo ends up being REAL in Earwa. Places are actually haunted. Gods actually exist, and frequently intervene with mundane life.

Earwa is intrinsically a meaningful place. There, “madness” or “being crazy” straight up do not have the same cost-benefit ratio that they do IRL, at least not for now. A schizophrenic in our world makes connections that don't actually exist because our universe lacks any intrinsic meaning at all (in theory). In Earwa, everything has meaning, everything is bundled up with meaningfulness – lunacy, in some capacity at least, allows one to see things “more clearly” I think, but perhaps only on a higher level, and at the expense of clarity for the “mundane”, everyday world.

Also, two things stand out from TGO for me:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:15:20 pm by FB »