[TUC Spoiler] Esmenet and the JE

• 41 Replies

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2018, 11:05:55 pm »
I thought something to that effect, or close enough, at the beginning of TUC...

I'll see if I can find it when I'm a bit more clear-headed (it's getting kind of late over here). ;)

Did you reread the chapter? There are some really great quotes in that chapter, can't wait 2 years til we get there!! You got the "99 stones and the type of birds he killed", which I think an allegory for the series in some way. And, "The Heaper of the Dead", which really got a shock from everyone. Overall, just jammed packed of good nuggets, like, I thought, everything in TGO.

Sadly, I didn't (yet), I was going on from your comments/quotes and what I remember from that chapter. I'm trying to resist skipping ahead in the reread and try to keep it at the 1 chapter/week pace, but TGO is so far away I might just have to reread it. (I'll probably have forgotten everything again by the time TGO comes along in the reread. :P)
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2018, 11:13:53 pm »
Not even just the Amiolas, all of them, apparently! Which is intriguing, to say the least.

I don't remember the quote, thank you. Interesting.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2018, 12:07:29 am »
Here's the passage from TGO where Koringhus defined the Cubit, or rather what made the Cubit approve. If its not a tee-total definition of Serwe, I dont know what is. You can go before and after this passage and see once he deduced this, then the Cubit (Eye) approved of him.

And so it was with the Absolute. Surrender. Forfeiture. Loss … At last he understood what made these things holy. Loss was advantage. Blindness was insight, revelation. At last he could see it—the sideways step that gave lie to Logos.
Zero. Zero made One.
Beautiful chapter really. Loss is holy.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2018, 06:28:00 am »
Quote from: TLEILAXU
Beautiful chapter really. Loss is holy.

👍
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2018, 06:08:03 pm »
This thread really made me wonder if being taken in by one of the Gods after death qualifies as "saved" for the Judging Eye.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2018, 06:58:26 pm »
This thread really made me wonder if being taken in by one of the Gods after death qualifies as "saved" for the Judging Eye.

I wonder if there is a middle ground between "damned" and "saved" (or a different category altogether?), because it would make sense in the cases of those people taken to specific Gods' corners of the Outside.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2018, 12:13:46 am »
Saved, no doubt. It's a human subroutine, recall. You'll spend eternity in your Mother's warm arms etc.

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2018, 04:59:35 pm »
Saved, no doubt. It's a human subroutine, recall. You'll spend eternity in your Mother's warm arms etc.
That clashes with the fact that some people in the Ordeal are saved by the Gods while Mimara sees them all as damned. Now, she might not have seen those saved, since she has just one pair of eyes, but the workings of damnation and salvation are still very unclear.

Also, this is in part where my doubt comes from. The Gods are connected to humanity. What about the God, who allegedly is behind the Judging Eye?

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2018, 06:15:23 pm »
That clashes with the fact that some people in the Ordeal are saved by the Gods while Mimara sees them all as damned. Now, she might not have seen those saved, since she has just one pair of eyes, but the workings of damnation and salvation are still very unclear.

Also, this is in part where my doubt comes from. The Gods are connected to humanity. What about the God, who allegedly is behind the Judging Eye?

If I remember correctly, Mimara never looked at any of the 2 people we know for sure were saved by particular Gods (Sorweel and Sosering Rauchurl, saved by Yatwer and Gilgaöl respectively) with the JE. I might be wrong, though? I don't think anyone else was specified as being saved by X God, they were just damned.

I don't think people saved by one of the Hundred would really count as "saved" either, that's why I think there might be a separate category altogether (or they're just a subset of damnation).

We shouldn't assume that Yatwer's corner of the Outside, for instance, is a pleasant heaven-like place, either. Yatwer, as the Mother of Birth, could embody the warm and loving aspect of a mother goddess but also the cruel, vengeful one (something directly addressed by Psatma Nannaferi in the books).

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2020, 08:12:48 pm »
Since we are sort of talking about the Judging Eye here:

In the mediator, then, this consciousness frees itself from action and enjoyment so far as they are regarded as its own. As a separate, independent extreme, it rejects the essence of its will, and casts upon the mediator or minister [priest] its own freedom of decision, and herewith the responsibility for its own action. This mediator, having a direct relationship with the unchangeable Being, ministers by giving advice on what is right.

Who does that sound like?
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2020, 10:22:07 pm »
Since we are sort of talking about the Judging Eye here:

In the mediator, then, this consciousness frees itself from action and enjoyment so far as they are regarded as its own. As a separate, independent extreme, it rejects the essence of its will, and casts upon the mediator or minister [priest] its own freedom of decision, and herewith the responsibility for its own action. This mediator, having a direct relationship with the unchangeable Being, ministers by giving advice on what is right.

Who does that sound like?

I give up, who?
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2020, 12:08:50 pm »
I give up, who?
To me, it reads as if I description of Mimara.  Especially the part about having a relationship with the "unchangeable Being" (the Cubit) and that she "ministers" by what is right (the judgement, hence the Judging Eye).
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira