What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 08:51:41 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Quote from: Cu'jara Cinmoi, 2005
We do get an interior glimpse into the Fanim world in The Aspect-Emperor, Tattooed Hand. Like I say, in the historical narrative sections, I resort to quasi-racist cliches and types, both heroic and otherwise, trying to mix up assumptions, and to indirectly show how arbitrary and self-serving they actually are, even if they seem 'fair and balanced' to those sharing the selfsame prejudices.

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2014, 08:26:42 pm »
You know what I find kind of interesting about that quote from Bakker in 2005 is that I really don't feel like we've seen much "interior glimpse into the Fanim world" in the first two Aspect-Emperor books.  So I'm left to wonder if this implies that there will be significantly more in the next book or if what little we've been given is what he was thinking of or if plans changed a bit. 

We've basically just seen Fanayal's hangout through Malo's perspective, and that's about it.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2014, 10:03:09 pm »
Perhaps Meppa is how all Cishaurim are?

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2014, 10:25:40 pm »
Perhaps Meppa is how all Cishaurim are?

What do you mean by this?  Simply that Bakker's quote could have just meant "there's going to be a Cishaurim character" and nothing more?

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2014, 10:56:22 am »
He's definitely been hoarding secrets about the Cishaurim!  Gosh, I really hadn't thought about if Meppa is not a special Cishaurim.  Leave it to Bakker to be able to insinuate some kind of interpretation that blinded the reader to the truth!

I can't remember, did the meaning of # of snakes ever get figured out?  I think Moeghus had 3 when he spoke with Xerius, 2 when he talked to Kellhus, but the Cishaurim at Mengedda had 5 each?

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2014, 11:56:01 am »
We've had 100% more insight into Fanayal and Meppa's organization than in PoN, surely.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2014, 01:35:06 pm »
What do you mean by this?  Simply that Bakker's quote could have just meant "there's going to be a Cishaurim character" and nothing more?

I meant that maybe all Cishaurim are amnesiac sidekicks.

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2014, 08:21:32 pm »
We've had 100% more insight into Fanayal and Meppa's organization than in PoN, surely.

I guess I'm sort of asking if that quote of his was just referring to what we've seen so far in the two AE books.  I don't know exactly how to quantify it, but it doesn't feel to me like it's been all that much. 

I meant that maybe all Cishaurim are amnesiac sidekicks.

Interesting.  I had not considered that, but we do know of at least one Cishaurim that is clearly not an amnesiac:  Moenghus

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2014, 05:19:48 pm »
Maybe that is what made Moenghus weak? His dunyain training prevented him from releasing his memories, basically surrendering to the Darkness, and that somehow stopped him from being able to connect with the required emotions to bear water properly.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2014, 06:43:40 pm »
Maybe that is what made Moenghus weak? His dunyain training prevented him from releasing his memories, basically surrendering to the Darkness, and that somehow stopped him from being able to connect with the required emotions to bear water properly.

Maybe that's it!  The psukhe is indistinguishable from the work of God because the Cishaurim have surrended to God, commit no acts of sorcery except exactly what the God wills? 

Dunyain can't forget vs Nonman can't remember?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2014, 02:02:38 am »
Dunyain can't forget vs Nonman can't remember?

Hmm maybe, but then wouldn't the Erratic be some of the best Psukari if they just had a tutor?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Garet Jax

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2014, 03:41:49 pm »
The psukhe is indistinguishable from the work of God because the Cishaurim have surrended to God, commit no acts of sorcery except exactly what the God wills? 

This.