What exactly is a Whore's Shell?

• 14 Replies

Francis Buck

« on: January 24, 2015, 03:31:03 am »
This is something I've never been clear on. Obviously it's magical, but I never really understood its exact nature. It's not a physical object, is it? How can Esmenet simply "throw it away"?

It's also interesting in context with Yatwer; a contraceptive (and a sorcerous one at that) sounds like something the Goddess of Birth would just absolutely despise.

Thoughts?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 03:30:09 am »
Sounds like a vaginal condom, but thats lame. If magical, then a sorcerous artifact that one can wear, so both physical, magical, and throw-away-able

Whore's shell and Yatwer, thats an interesting question. Perhaps used on a small enough scale that she doesn't notice/care?

My biggest question is how did she acquire and/or afford it? The books make it sound like she just went down to the market and bought one... If it is magical, I would think it would be harder to come by?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 10:02:07 am »
Maybe it's a pretty simple artifact to make and the Mysunsai sells them en masse between contracts or something?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 01:41:48 pm »
Forgot about the Mysunsai. Selling goods, especially illicit ones, is always a good revenue stream.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 02:24:33 pm »
The North at least had a number of magical objects for sale back in its heyday, if Sauglish is anything to go by. We don't see that much of it in the South, but maybe the Anagogis is worse at making stuff last, or the Three Seas are less socially accepting of sorcery than the Ancient North was.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 06:56:25 pm »
i wonder if there's an opposite of a whore's shell -- a super fertility thing ... maybe a gnostic cock ring too or something

Francis Buck

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 04:01:07 am »
I said in the OP that it was "obviously magical", and I remember believing that at the time, but now I'm not actually sure. Anyone have clues on this? I can't recall why I assumed it was sorcerous, as opposed to simply being a mundane female contraceptive.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 01:12:38 am »
I said in the OP that it was "obviously magical", and I remember believing that at the time, but now I'm not actually sure. Anyone have clues on this? I can't recall why I assumed it was sorcerous, as opposed to simply being a mundane female contraceptive.

you are right!  there's at least one passage where Akka refers to the shell as having a faint mark.  he also says/thinks that it was one of the things that initially drew his attention to Esmi.  not sure where!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 02:36:18 pm »
Really? I don't remember either of those instances. Might have to look those up.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 03:28:48 pm »
Seems to me like a whores shell works on a similar basis to the No-God. Some sort of soul redirection.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 05:10:18 pm »
Seems to me like a whores shell works on a similar basis to the No-God. Some sort of soul redirection.
Now that is a bold statement. Also, not likely, since the whore's shell stops any pregnancy, rather than making the children still born.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 07:40:06 pm »
They also don't always work. So it's probably just a magical contraceptive or morning-after abortion machine.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 08:50:31 pm »
morning-after abortion machine.
Intentional or no, you should trademark that phrase and sell it to the republican' main media spin-doctors. That is brilliant.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 04:12:04 pm »
Really? I don't remember either of those instances. Might have to look those up.

The Warrior-Prophet, Chapter Ten:
When Achamian thought back, it seemed that she’d always known him. He’d even thought her a witch when they met for the first time, not only because of the ever-so-faint Mark of the charmed whore’s shell that she used as a contraceptive, but because she guessed he was a sorcerer before he uttered scarcely five words.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 11:50:32 pm »

double down!  a whore's shell is literally a fragment of the Carapace!!!

thank you Alia!