H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 03:18:03 pm »
And Titirga died at Viri, a Topoi if there ever was one. I wonder if Kyudea was a Topoi of a sort?

We know so little of the southern mansions.  My guess would be yes.

Then again, we don't know all that much about the northern ones either, just Cil-Aujas because we've been there and Viri as anecdotes.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Cnaiür vs Karsa vs Drogo

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 02:30:29 am »
Doesn't it seem like achamian should be more concerned about catching a glimpse of a "sorcerous bird?" Even Inrau recognized the synthese as consult when he saw it, even if he didn't know what a synthese was. It bothers me that Achamian didn't freak the fuck out when he saw this.

Also, later in chapter 12, as Aurang is having an (epic) conversation with Kelhus, Kelhus states that Achamian had discussed snythese with him, indicating Achamian has enough information about synthese to have known what it was. I think glimpsing a sorcerous bird should have set off more alarms, with greater urgency for Achamian. Then again, maybe it did, as Kelhus sets the trap for the skin spy.

Chapter 12 is immense. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 06:25:58 am by Cnaiur vs Karsa vs Drogo »
Odaini Concussion Cant first, ask questions later...

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 02:23:51 pm »
Doesn't it seem like achamian should be more concerned about catching a glimpse of a "sorcerous bird?" Even Inrau recognized the synthese as consult when he saw it, even if he didn't know what a synthese was. It bothers me that Achamian didn't freak the fuck out when he saw this.

Also, later in chapter 12, as Aurang is having an (epic) conversation with Kelhus, Kelhus states that Achamian had discussed snythese with him, indicating Achamian has enough information about synthese to have known what it was. I think glimpsing a sorcerous bird should have set off more alarms, with greater urgency for Achamian. Then again, maybe it did, as Kelhus sets the trap for the skin spy.

Chapter 12 is immense. 

If I recall correctly, doesn't Achamian think it's the Spires? I mean, we can't blame the guy really, he is kind of distracted by his day job (that his day job is to perceive threat is probably another Bakker nod to bias ;) ).

Though, as you said, maybe later Achamian was like "ah, shit, Kellhus, I saw a Synthese" and Kellhus said "yes, this is a good thing."
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cnaiür vs Karsa vs Drogo

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 02:14:33 am »

If I recall correctly, doesn't Achamian think it's the Spires? I mean, we can't blame the guy really, he is kind of distracted by his day job (that his day job is to perceive threat is probably another Bakker nod to bias ;) ).

Though, as you said, maybe later Achamian was like "ah, shit, Kellhus, I saw a Synthese" and Kellhus said "yes, this is a good thing."

He says "his mind was racing, was this a consult attack? or just scarlet spires mischeif?" 

compare to when Inrau sees a synthese:

"OH FUCK OH FUCK OH FUCK WHAT DO I DO WHAT DO I DO PLEASE REMEMBER A SPELL PLEASE REMEMBER A SPELL!" Hiya, punches through someones chest!

That is an appropriate reaction to spotting a sorcerous bird.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:46:13 am by Cnaiur vs Karsa vs Drogo »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 07:06:41 pm »
I'm actually not sure that the Bird is a Synthese that the Mandate have seen before. It always seemed to me that the Mandate know that the Consult use Synthese forms, not the Bird specifically. My reading was that Inrau assumes, in his more mortal circumstance, that the Bird is a Synthese more quickly than Achamian, not that either of them would recognize the Bird-Synthese specifically from the Dreams or something (And I'm still really holding out for the Consult Battle-Synthese).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cnaiür vs Karsa vs Drogo

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 04:17:31 am »
I'm actually not sure that the Bird is a Synthese that the Mandate have seen before. It always seemed to me that the Mandate know that the Consult use Synthese forms, not the Bird specifically. My reading was that Inrau assumes, in his more mortal circumstance, that the Bird is a Synthese more quickly than Achamian, not that either of them would recognize the Bird-Synthese specifically from the Dreams or something (And I'm still really holding out for the Consult Battle-Synthese).

Odaini Concussion Cant first; ask questions later...

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 11:59:07 pm »
Only when he's drugged up on Qirri and doesn't give a fuck ;).

TDTCB Achamian almost got his head crushed by a skin-spy rather than destroy it.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer