Ancient. Deeper. New.

• 3 Replies

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« on: July 09, 2016, 01:04:54 am »
But the plate had changed all too quickly. To realize that the Cishaurim were but a mask for a far more ancient foe. To come so very close, only to discover their sublime deceptions subverted by something deeper. Something new. The Dûnyain. There was more to this than a son hunting for his father—far more. Their devious methods and disconcerting abilities aside, these Dûnyain were Anasûrimbor. Even without the Mandate prophecies, enmity was a fact of their accursed blood. Who was this Moënghus? And if his son could seize the armed might of the Three Seas in a single year, what had he accomplished in thirty? What awaited the Holy War in Shimeh?

It is possible I am totally misreading this, but can you clarify the various subjects in this passage? It seems as though Aurang is talking about discovering an ancient foe, and context suggests the dunyain are that foe, as he's discovered moenghus, but he describes the dunyain as something new which quite naturally means he is not talking about the dunyain as the ancient foe,

And the use of ancient is interesting, because he has just made a context of his life far surpassing the mere millennia on earwa, so it doesn't seem that he would append the label ancient to the anasurimbor either they're new relative to his immortal frame.

So, in referring to the discovery of an "ancient foe" is Aurang referring to the dunyain, to the anasurimbor, or to a third party?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Spaces Between

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 01:00:59 pm »
Maybe far more ancient relative to the referenced cishaurim.

The dunyain are a new branch of human but they also descend from an Anasûrimbor. Hence the dual title of new and old foe

"A terror, so profound, so abiding–and, yes, pure–that all other fears guttered into nothingness for lack of air. A terror that was a gift… such was the peace and certainty that followed upon it."

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 06:56:51 pm »
Maybe far more ancient relative to the referenced cishaurim.

The dunyain are a new branch of human but they also descend from an Anasûrimbor. Hence the dual title of new and old foe

The Spaces Between, are you a Bakker alt?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

The Spaces Between

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 12:40:31 am »
The Spaces Between, are you a Bakker alt?

Haha nope. Just another fan waiting for TGO.  :)
"A terror, so profound, so abiding–and, yes, pure–that all other fears guttered into nothingness for lack of air. A terror that was a gift… such was the peace and certainty that followed upon it."