[TUC Spoilers] The Most Ancient Warrior - The Boatman.

• 6 Replies

Moosehunter

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: July 19, 2017, 12:14:04 pm »
I apologize if it is already known but i certainly didn't, or at least missed it somehow.

In The Great Ordeal, Oinaral brings Sorwheel to the great elevator in the centre of Ishterebinth.
This is piloted by the Most Ancient Warrior. A Nonman by the name of Mirimhiras who tends to the Erratic and Tall by feeding them swine.

“There is no speaking on the Mere,” Oinaral said, still reckoning what he had done. “If you speak on the Mere, Morimhira will kill you.”

When i was looking through the glossary at the end of The Unholy Consult i noticed the entry for Morimhira:

"Morimhira (?—)—The oldest of the Nonmen to be rendered immortal by the Inoculation. The elder brother of Cu’huriol, Morimhira gained fame for refusing to accept the Seal of the House Primordial, dooming his younger brother to be King instead, and so delivering his race to the folly of Cu’jara Cinmoi. According to legend, he believed himself too bloodthirsty—and true to this appraisal, lived a life of near continuous war and slaughter. His age relative to his appearance was already a marvel ere he received the Inoculation. When he alone, out of all the elders, survived, he became known as the Most Ancient Warrior—for he was indeed the oldest Nonman living."

I love the depth in Bakkers works. You must work for every little revelation with so little spoon fed to you. I think i have learned more on this sub and through the glossary than i ever did on a first read of any book in the series.

I also thought it was extremely cool that both the youngest and most ancient Nonmen were together on this occasion.

Again, apologies if this was already known.

EDIT: I added the Spoiler tag to the tread title, just in case. -H

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:07:39 pm by H »

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:25:59 pm »
I hadn't really thought about the fact that the oldest and youngest Nonmen were present together.  That's actually really cool.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 02:34:18 pm »
In The Great Ordeal, Oinaral brings Sorwheel to the great elevator in the centre of Ishterebinth.
This is piloted by the Most Ancient Warrior. A Nonman by the name of Mirimhiras who tends to the Erratic and Tall by feeding them swine.

“There is no speaking on the Mere,” Oinaral said, still reckoning what he had done. “If you speak on the Mere, Morimhira will kill you.”

When i was looking through the glossary at the end of The Unholy Consult i noticed the entry for Morimhira:

"Morimhira (?—)—The oldest of the Nonmen to be rendered immortal by the Inoculation. The elder brother of Cu’huriol, Morimhira gained fame for refusing to accept the Seal of the House Primordial, dooming his younger brother to be King instead, and so delivering his race to the folly of Cu’jara Cinmoi. According to legend, he believed himself too bloodthirsty—and true to this appraisal, lived a life of near continuous war and slaughter. His age relative to his appearance was already a marvel ere he received the Inoculation. When he alone, out of all the elders, survived, he became known as the Most Ancient Warrior—for he was indeed the oldest Nonman living."

I love the depth in Bakkers works. You must work for every little revelation with so little spoon fed to you. I think i have learned more on this sub and through the glossary than i ever did on a first read of any book in the series.

I also thought it was extremely cool that both the youngest and most ancient Nonmen were together on this occasion.

I hadn't thought of the oldest and youngest Nonman thing either, that's a nice catch. :)

It was great to get some more information on him from the glossary, no idea he was Cû'jara-Cinmoi's great-uncle, he truly must be ancient. And as he still seems to be around by the end of TUC, maybe we will see him again later? (I sure hope so)
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:01:59 pm »
He didn't seem to be there when Ishterebinth joined the Ordeal.  I doubt he'd leave his track.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 03:13:34 pm »
Someone has to keep feeding the rest of the Tall in the Mere, no?

EDIT: Not to mention, the Reduced and those in the hold of the terrifying Gloom.

I hadn't thought of the oldest and youngest Nonman thing either, that's a nice catch. :)

Damn cool catch :).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Moosehunter

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 03:55:04 pm »
It also means the blood of the House Primordial (or whatever the Royal line of Siol is) is still present i believe.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 02:58:10 pm »
Tsonos. It was maybe present in Golgerath as well, they mention the old siol standard bearer and other seemingly high-ranking nonman during the battle. The Lord of poisons who founded the Mangecca etc.