[TGO Spoilers] The Slog 2.0- TDTCB reread

• 33 Replies

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« on: February 13, 2017, 02:55:27 pm »
The disscusion for TDTCB first five chapters. Unexpected things happened to me so I doubt I will read the chapters myself before Thursday sadly but I would join the disscusion here at least.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:11:48 pm by Redeagl »
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 07:27:23 pm »
I'm down to reread the entire series, Redeagl. :)  But, unfortunately, how much feedback have we received? Merchant, Shai, Wilshire and Madness jumping in atTAE....

I know that the last Slog did fall off after PoN. Maybe, taking on Madness'so advice of starting at TAE might spurn more conversation? I'm open to whatever, but I'd like it to be social, just not me and you arguing over tidbits.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 01:16:09 pm »
I'm down to reread the entire series, Redeagl. :)  But, unfortunately, how much feedback have we received? Merchant, Shai, Wilshire and Madness jumping in atTAE....

I know that the last Slog did fall off after PoN. Maybe, taking on Madness'so advice of starting at TAE might spurn more conversation? I'm open to whatever, but I'd like it to be social, just not me and you arguing over tidbits.
I made the thread because of the poll results which were 5:0 so I guess there are some people who will join us.If none of those people joined us I guess we can directly skip to TAE.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 02:17:23 pm »
Just go for it dude. Don't worry about whatever the non-participants may or may not be doing. You took a vote, got a whole 5 responses which is pretty good, so just do it.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 03:18:20 pm »
If you post, they will come.  (Or they won't.)

If no one posts though, certainly no one will come.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Kamakazikitteh

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 09:17:03 pm »
Is it me or is kellhus is alot more sympaththic here then later on even though we know what he ends up being. It's just me throwing shit at the wall but maybe the logos males them nuts or joker is sane syndrom

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 12:05:29 am »
Is it me or is kellhus is alot more sympaththic here then later on even though we know what he ends up being. It's just me throwing shit at the wall but maybe the logos males them nuts or joker is sane syndrom

I'd say no. He's just in sensory overload. Taking in all this new information is just overwhelming.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 12:49:32 pm »
How was he sympathetic ? He saved Lewis until he led him on his way after that it was " do I know you,  bud? Don't think so "
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 10:35:18 pm by Redeagl »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 01:01:40 pm »
How was he sympathetic ? He saved Lewis until he led him led him on his way after that it was " do I know you,  bud? Don't think so "

Well, more sympathetic, definitely, considering it's pretty hard to be sympathetic with him later.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 03:37:13 pm »
Absolutely. He certainly seems more human, wandering around in the woods, looking at sticks like a little kid. Being nursed to health, then helping his caretaker get over his alcohol addition and depression.
There's a sense of wonder and compassion there in the beginning for the reader to sympathize with. Even leave Leweth for dead is pretty justifiable. He was going to die anyway, no need for them BOTH to get killed because of a little sympathy. Kellhus wasn't the one that sent the hunting bands of sranc after Leweth, he was just a sad casualty in a war that hadn't even started yet.

And, look, maybe Kellhus spends the rest of the series avenging Leweth's death? Maybe THAT is the trial that broke him. His first true relationship squashed by the Consult. Spends the next 30 years trying to murder every last one of them.... How noble :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 03:45:38 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 10:39:31 pm »
Absolutely. He certainly seems more human, wandering around in the woods, looking at sticks like a little kid. Being nursed to health, then helping his caretaker get over his alcohol addition and depression.
There's a sense of wonder and compassion there in the beginning for the reader to sympathize with. Even leave Leweth for dead is pretty justifiable. He was going to die anyway, no need for them BOTH to get killed because of a little sympathy. Kellhus wasn't the one that sent the hunting bands of sranc after Leweth, he was just a sad casualty in a war that hadn't even started yet.

And, look, maybe Kellhus spends the rest of the series avenging Leweth's death? Maybe THAT is the trial that broke him. His first true relationship squashed by the Consult. Spends the next 30 years trying to murder every last one of them.... How noble :)
I think that Kellhus was just practising on him and seeing how weak world born children are.Kellhus is just a fool who thinks he is better than everybody really. His ego is comparable to that of Conphas.

Kamakazikitteh

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 04:19:43 am »
I really love how he sets up akky as this little meek dude who can kill everyone with a snap of his fingers rereading the first few chapters is really sad knowing where ate favorite cuckold ends up.

geoffrobro

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 12:53:58 pm »
Did anyone on their very first read get the feeling that Akka was a pedophile or at least a guy with a sketchy past? I'm remembering my very first read thru and I thought he molested proyas, loved inrau, and loved esmi because he just not supposed to. I think one of my earliest post was asking if akka was a pedophile.
"Wutrim kut mi’puru kamuir!"

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 12:57:23 pm »
Did anyone on their very first read get the feeling that Akka was a pedophile or at least a guy with a sketchy past? I'm remembering my very first read thru and I thought he molested proyas, loved inrau, and loved esmi because he just not supposed to. I think one of my earliest post was asking if akka was a pedophile.
He did have something going on with Inrau I think, also he had a childhood friend where he outright mentions him as a lover.Not sure if he did anything to Proyas but it wouldn't have been Proyas last time  :P

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 03:10:37 pm »

I got the impression the first time I read the books, but on rereads I never found any real evidence he did anything.