• 3 Replies

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« on: November 17, 2013, 02:58:07 pm »
Hey fellow Bakker-Fans,

Here's a new voice in fantasy that i think could find some fans in these hallowed halls   ;D

His homepage can be found here : http://marktbarnes.com/

He writes fantasy that has a touch of technology in it in how he portrays magic and in that magic is used in the industry (for example skybarges that glide through the air with the help of magic-engines). So think more "Final Fantasy" instead of "medieval european fantasy". It's an intrigue based story but he also has old orders that pop up that have training in the mental arts etc. etc. . And his chapter openings contain also short excerpts from inworld books that have an almost bakker-like quality (as in philosophical "essays" and quotes etc. ). The cultures in this world are more asian- and arabic-inspired than the classical western-europe based fantasy-kingdoms of other books.
I really dig his first book, started the second one and i think he gets better. Don't get me wrong, he is not as complex and thought-provoking as Bakker, but i think it is still a very good debut.

Here's the cover of the first book and the book blurb:

An uneasy peace has existed since the fall of the Awakened Empire centuries ago. Now the hybrid Avān share the land with the people they once conquered: the star-born humans; the spectral, undead Nomads; and what remains of the Elemental Masters.

With the Empress-in-Shadows an estranged ghost, it is the ancient dynasties of the Great Houses and the Hundred Families that rule. But now civil war threatens to draw all of Shrīan into a vicious struggle sparked by one man’s lust for power, and his drive to cheat death.

Visions have foretold that Corajidin, dying ruler of House Erebus, will not only survive, but rise to rule his people. The wily nobleman seeks to make his destiny certain—by plundering the ruins of his civilization’s past for the arcane science needed to ensure his survival, and by mercilessly eliminating his rivals. But mercenary warrior-mage Indris, scion of the rival House Näsarat, stands most powerfully in the usurper’s bloody path. For it is Indris who reluctantly accepts the task of finding a missing man, the only one able to steer the teetering nation towards peace.
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 08:20:36 pm »
May 2013, October 2013, and May 2014 is the most intense release schedule I've ever heard of.

He must have had them all mostly written and finished when the first was published.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 02:11:11 pm »
Yes, i think you are right. There's no way he can write that fast  ;D
I really hope we will see the third book on the promised date because i am sure the second one will not hold that long (started reading book 2 and i am trying to pace myself...but it's hard).
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

EkyannusIII

• Momurai
  • Archduke Ekyannus of Shitlord Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 01:19:16 am »
I've got Garden of Stones, will review when done.
What is reason, but the blindness of the soul?

R. SCOTT RAP3ZT TERRIBLEZ LOLZ.

if Kellhus was thinking all of this, he's going to freak out when he get's back and Kelmomas is all "i lieks to eatum peeples da"

the whole thing is orchestrated by Kellhus who is wearing a Bashrag as if it were a suit