The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 01:02:20 pm »
Ah, was just going to make a topic this morning :).

Spoilers up through and including episode 3:
(click to show/hide)
One of the other conditions of possibility.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 01:59:59 pm »
Starting this series soon. As someone in the field a lot of guys in the office are saying this is the most accurate depiction of hacking they have seen on screen. Normally its laughable and we play a game in the office of pausing shows and analysing the code in the background, some of the stuff in popular media is hilarious, a quick Google will show you.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 03:13:28 pm »
Pretty sure its illegal to show actual hacking and/or working code to that effect on any tv and/or movie screen.

As far as accuracy, I don't know, but at least they use a dos window. What they do show and  how they explain whats going on seems logical. Seems legit.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 11:48:27 am »
My wife and I watched all three current episodes, some observations:

(click to show/hide)
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 06:44:58 pm »
Yup all that seems to fit the bill, which is disappointing. I'm hoping for some kind of double bluff, otherwise its too much of a "modern"/future retelling of fightclub.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 06:55:29 pm »
Yup all that seems to fit the bill, which is disappointing. I'm hoping for some kind of double bluff, otherwise its too much of a "modern"/future retelling of
Yup all that seems to fit the bill, which is disappointing. I'm hoping for some kind of double bluff, otherwise its too much of a "modern"/future retelling of fightclub.

Yeah, they have reupped for a second season already, so I guess they do have some idea of a long-game in mind.

Tyrell is definitely something of a wild-card.  I had to go look it up, he speaks Swedish to his wife and she speaks Danish to him, which explains why I couldn't pick up at all what languages they were speaking, not that I imagine it's significant.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 07:59:07 pm »
He's definitely a key player, probably the most important. I'd not be surprised if he was a more skilled hacker than Elliot or any of the other hacker groups... If one can go so far as to measure such things.

Good catch though that he was speaking different languages. I though it was all French, shows what I know :P.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 08:16:42 pm »
I actually thought it was French too, because when Elliot walks in to the board room in the previous episode, Tyrell says something to him in French.  As him and the wife talked though, I noticed none of it sounded French.  My wife can sort of understand some French and so we realized it was something else...

Camlost

• The Ginger-Beard Wizard
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 03:05:40 am »
I'm surprised this thread hasn't seen some more action given recent developments in the story.

I was reluctant to buy into the Fight Club allegory as it seemed far too obvious, but it hasn't been entirely eschewed yet, excepting
(click to show/hide)

I was also waiting for Tyrell to be revealed as a much more tech capable character than he had been portrayed as initially. I want to argue that he might be working towards a similar end as Elliot but with a much more self-centered end.
(click to show/hide)

I've also been entertaining some thoughts recently that the "third person" to which Elliot is describing events is less an emotional outlet as it is a constructed alternate ego, a truly dispassionate, objective personality to which he can justify "Elliot's" self
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:56:14 am by Camlost »

Camlost

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 05:20:30 pm »
Well, just watched the most recent episode. Ignore just about everything I had written in the previous post..

Although I was certain that
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 05:33:33 pm by Camlost »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 01:31:46 am »
Through 9

(click to show/hide)

Camlost

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 04:05:56 am »
I felt like I had been watching all season to find a moment in which Mr. Robot interacts with someone other than Elliot, else it fall precisely into the same pattern as Fight Club. Now I'm not so sure though. I thought he had, but I might be wrong. On top of that, I think the second season should be quite a bit more exciting given everything that we've seen, and I feel that might be saying a bit. I think the stakes have been raised given the last episode.

I guess the only thing I'm hesitating about is
(click to show/hide)

You're right though, they do make an effort to point out that Elliot experienced injury during the old home scene
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 04:08:59 am by Camlost »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 04:49:32 pm »
Alright, everything here is a spoiler.
(click to show/hide)

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 04:08:57 pm »
All other considerations aside, I liked the nod Mr. Robot gave to Fight Club in the use of the instrumental version of 'Where Is My Mind?" during the climax of last week's episode.  It was such powerful music to use in that climactic moment in Fight Club, I had to explain to my wife my nod of approval and grin when the music started in Mr. Robot.  Total nerd moment.  lol
No whistling on the slog!