YOU MUST TELL ME ... What else are you reading?

• 418 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: December 07, 2018, 01:00:25 pm »
Some of my favorite scenes are with Kalam, and his final disagreement with Pearl is a lot of fun (IIRC ... I have trouble remembering the whole cast). Can't say I'd miss Pearl though.

Reaper's Gale is good, but takes a strange turn. It seems black semen is something other authors feel important to include in there books as well lol. Toll The Hounds might be my favorite of the set, with Dust of Dreams tied for worst with House of Chains. Crippled God ends fine enough to make it worth while. So ... You're almost there! Some great books ahead of you, and one that's disappointing (don't let it stop you!).
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 03, 2019, 06:02:44 pm »
The Hod King by Josiah Bancroft is expected out on 1/22. 3rd book in the Tower of Babel series. Can't wait for this.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #392 on: January 04, 2019, 12:39:27 am »
23% in Reaper's Gale.
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 08, 2019, 11:02:01 pm »
Finished The Hod King and started Black Leopard, Red Wolf.

I didn't know anything of Marlon James coming in.  And the blurb of "an African Game of Thrones" is a bit nonsensical.  But the book is good so far, just absolutely not at all what I'd have thought it was.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 08, 2019, 11:08:57 pm »
Quote from:  H

I have a little under 100 pages left of The Hod King. Coincidentally, Black Leopard, Red Wolf is what I'm going to read next. I think the premise is neat. But, from all the reviews I've read, I don't see where it would be anything like ASOIAF, either. Let us know what you think of it, H.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:10:36 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 11, 2019, 12:45:12 pm »
Quote from:  H

I have a little under 100 pages left of The Hod King. Coincidentally, Black Leopard, Red Wolf is what I'm going to read next. I think the premise is neat. But, from all the reviews I've read, I don't see where it would be anything like ASOIAF, either. Let us know what you think of it, H.

It has absolutely no similarity to Game of Thrones in even the slightest way, as far as I can tell.

It does have an interesting structure and the setting is interesting in it's own way, narratively.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 15, 2019, 05:06:33 pm »
Let us know what you think of it, H.

It's a pretty fantastic book.  It has a great deal of sex in it, it deals with sexuality itself a lot, the plot is complicated and purposely not straight forward.  However, it is a really good book.  I'd highly recommended it, but I think I'd say this is not a book for "everyone" by any means.  In fact, I think in it's own ways, it will be less palatable than Bakker for most people.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 18, 2019, 03:05:39 pm »
  In fact, I think in it's own ways, it will be less palatable than Bakker for most people.
Guess I'll add another book to the list then. Can't pass up something with an endorsement like this.

Edit: This might sound sarcastic, its not lol.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 03:22:41 pm by Wilshire »

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 05, 2019, 10:13:36 pm »
About half way through Dark Forge, by Miles Cameron. Excellent book and gets back to what Cameron is good at. Battle scenes and the life of living during war.  Probably finish in a night or two.

Then, I WILL go into Black Leopard, Red Wolf. I just seen where the 2nd book in Cameron's series just came out and had to get it. He is definitely in my top 5 of fantasy authors and just cant past it up.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #399 on: March 15, 2019, 01:50:30 pm »
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #400 on: April 17, 2019, 05:42:02 am »
Oh...Beak. :( I might have said it this before, but I'll say it for the people in the back: I think Beak and Itkovian should get together and go bowling.

As for Natarka or whatever your name is, this is for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZJUuDLqjzU&t=51s

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 17, 2019, 03:08:18 pm »
Started "The War Within", Book 2 of "The Great God's War" from the pen of the venerable Stephen Donaldson. Two chapters so far. I'm deliberately reading no more than one chapter per sitting.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #402 on: April 22, 2019, 12:29:48 am »
85% Reaper's Gale. Honestly, the death of
(click to show/hide)
bothered me more than I thought. Just sad. I mean, they could have killed him sooner if they considered him a failure or leave him to the Letherii. If he escapes, so what? He can live with knowing what happened. He can develop more/differently. But, nah. Just sad.

I guess it's safe to say that he ended up an emergent favorite. Didn't see that coming.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 22, 2019, 01:10:15 pm »
Yeah plenty of pages for sad death in the last few books of Malazan.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #404 on: May 06, 2019, 04:16:07 am »
Finished Reaper's Gale. Thoughts right here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2617570175