[TUC SPOILERS] Who has the worst fate in the series?

• 90 Replies

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2017, 01:46:14 am »
I'm not sure either why everyone is assuming Cnaiür dies at the end. To me his fate is a lot more ambiguous here than it was at the end of TTT, where I figured he was probably dead.

Except Bakker flat out stated that Kellhus' soul cannot be found. The sneaky bastard seems to have discovered an out.
That would be a cool thing to put into a book instead of a reddit AMA. Especially since anything not in them is highly prone to potential retcon. Remember when the Maengaecca were still alive?

Baztek

• Momurai
  • Aleph Jester
  • "We are all of us brothers. Read these."
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 03:30:18 am »
So speaking of shit that makes no sense... why didn't Achamian get the idea to see Kellhus with the Judging Eye the instant he learned of its existence?

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2017, 03:38:15 am »
So speaking of shit that makes no sense... why didn't Achamian get the idea to see Kellhus with the Judging Eye the instant he learned of its existence?
I thought he did?

Baztek

• Momurai
  • Aleph Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2017, 03:45:14 am »
Only after Ishual turned out to be a waste of time iirc

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2017, 05:13:25 am »
I'm pretty sure he asks Mimara about it shortly after discovering she had it.

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2017, 09:17:42 am »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he asked her if she'd ever looked upon her adoptive father with the Eye and she replied that Kellhus was basically never around.
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

solipsisticurge

• Momurai
  • There is a head on a pole behind him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2017, 03:01:50 pm »
I would like to revise my answer: the worst fate clearly belongs to those fans who were honestly expecting a clean-cut victorious ending, with Jesus Kellhus ending damnation with hugs and creating a Tekne-Gnostic utopia out of Dunyain smiles. To be so short-sighted before is to feel betrayed after, in perpetuity.

Kings never lie. They demand the world be mistaken.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 03:12:14 pm »
I would like to revise my answer: the worst fate clearly belongs to those fans who were honestly expecting a clean-cut victorious ending, with Jesus Kellhus ending damnation with hugs and creating a Tekne-Gnostic utopia out of Dunyain smiles. To be so short-sighted before is to feel betrayed after, in perpetuity.

THIS

Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2017, 03:23:39 pm »
Haha, yeah. And to paraphrase your sig: "Fans are never wrong. They demand the Author be mistaken." ;)

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Baztek

• Momurai
  • Aleph Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2017, 06:09:04 pm »
No, my question is: why wasn't Achamian's immediate reaction "let's go look at Kellhus with the Judging Eye like right fucking now then" instead of the slog to ishual. It just really, really stands out

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2017, 06:46:28 pm »
Quote from:  Baztek
No, my question is: why wasn't Achamian's immediate reaction "let's go look at Kellhus with the Judging Eye like right fucking now then" instead of the slog to ishual. It just really, really stands out.

Because, who or what a person or thing is lies in its origins. And, wow, look what the Eye saw upon looking upon those origins...
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

solipsisticurge

• Momurai
  • There is a head on a pole behind him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2017, 06:51:44 pm »
No, my question is: why wasn't Achamian's immediate reaction "let's go look at Kellhus with the Judging Eye like right fucking now then" instead of the slog to ishual. It just really, really stands out

He is ever the sorcerer and the skeptic. He feels one woman (the bitter, betrayed daughter of the Empress, no less) saying, "I have the eye of God, your savior is a fraud!" would carry less weight than some objective proof gleaned from Ishual. "Boom, whale-mothers, Proyas. Fuck this guy." Also, the very real possibility Kellhus sees him and hits him with the metagnostic middle finger.

Though I could just be rationalizing after the fact in defense of the series or authorial oversight.
Kings never lie. They demand the world be mistaken.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2017, 07:57:58 pm »
Akka is a procastinator of the worst kind (like myself), he was delaying the dûnyain matter for 20 years.  ;D ;D ;D
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2017, 09:38:41 pm »
Not to mention, going anywhere near civilization when you're the most infamous frikkin' Wizard the Three Seas has ever known might be slightly hazardous to one's health. Oh sure, let's just walk into the Imperial Precinct in Momemn. I'm sure that will be fine.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2017, 03:22:43 am »
If I were Akka I would have many reasons for not wanting a reunion of any kind with Kellhus unless I were armed to the teeth.