[TUC Spoilers] The Sorcerous Ekkinu

• 25 Replies

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 11:05:19 am »

Also, how exactly is a Wathi doll made?  They ever mention it? 

I soul is torn from living person and imprisoned in a doll. It is mentioned somewhere, can't remember where though. That's about all the detail we have.

Interesting how that doll in the scene by the fire in TWP is the first confirmation that Kellhus is one of the Few.
Mystery denotes darkness

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 01:55:40 pm »
Me and Setmahaga have a blog.  We used to let Hish post there sometimes, but it was always souls he had for lunch and it got pretty boring.

Typical. Nobody wants to see pictures of the souls you eat on Instaphrang or Ciphbook.

Lmao. Dying.

A year AFTER all they mysterious deahs that Bakker RAFO'ed?  An object of the Daimos, no less?  Human souls, faithful to Kellhus, on the eternal vigil for all things Outside-ie?  Maybe the same for the hearth thing he has in his quarters.

The Hearth has its own glossary entry, no? Which as far as my limited recall allows, I believe is mentioned to be in the hands of the Fanim for the duration of the First Holy War.

Also, how exactly is a Wathi doll made?  They ever mention it? 

If it's torn out using the Diamos, then we might be on to something here.

According to Achamian soul-trapping is an ancient art but we also know from elsewhere in the books and extratextually that the Daimos is eschewed by all Schools, save the Scarlet Spires. The Wathi Doll is a reason why we had threads distinguishing Sorcerous Artifacts from Weapons of Animata.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 08:11:22 pm »
Oh it's connected to the Diamos, for sure. Its why only Sorweel as WLW and Kellhus can read it. Its either script of the Outside or the imprint of souls, I'd say the latter.

elhusioli—The daimos of excess. As per standard Kiünnat metaphysics, souls directly move other souls, impart the imprint of daimos upon another daimos. Some, such as terror or enthusiasm, are set apart for the dramatic nature of their effects.

I'd say this has something to do with this and also the deaths of 4121.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 08:34:15 pm »
I have stumbled across something that may enlighten (or at least embellish) the great Ekinnu mystery. I'm pretty sure (well I'm damn near positive) that the Eleven Pole Chamber/Umbilicus/Ekinnu -- the whole royal tent thing -- is at least somewhat derived from the Tabernacle (as in the Biblical one).

From wiki:

"The Tabernacle according to the Hebrew Bible, was the portable earthly dwelling place of God amongst the children of Israel from the time of the Exodus from Egypt through the conquering of the land of Canaan."

"It describes an inner shrine, the Holy of Holies, which housed the Ark of the Covenant, which in turn was under the veil of the covering suspended by four pillars and an outer chamber (the "Holy Place"), containing beaten gold made into what is generally described as a lamp-stand or candlestick featuring a central shaft incorporating four almond-shaped bowls and six branches, each holding three bowls shaped like almonds and blossoms, 22 in all. It was standing diagonally, partially covering a table for showbread and with its seven oil lamps over against it to give light along with the altar of incense."

"Exodus 33:7-10 refers to "the Tabernacle of the congregation", which was set up outside of camp with the "cloudy pillar" visible at its door. The people directed their worship toward this center."

Note that the Veil hides the Ark of the Covenant. In TUC the Ekkinu is set before the Ark of the Consult...

(thank Madness for motivating my lazy ass to post this ;))

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 09:26:13 pm »
So, in other words, keeping Kellhus "protected from the Ark"?

What I find interesting is Sorweel as the WLW can actually read the script. So, it's the language of the Outside, definitely Diamotic in nature.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 10:02:15 pm »
And at the end of the book, the Ekkinu has disappeared. In other words, the Veil has been taken away. Which is the literal meaning of the word Apocalypse: 'The Unveiling'.
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 10:22:00 pm »
Very nice, Duskweaver! :)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 11:55:22 am »
(thank Madness for motivating my lazy ass to post this ;))

No problem, friendo ;). The people deserve your perspective!
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 07:56:19 pm »
In perpetual skepticism of things revealed and things hidden, the missing Ekkinu simply must have a role to play later. But as so many things with this TUC interlude, exactly what seems indecipherable.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2019, 10:11:05 am »
Even though it annoys me, my gut says the Ekkinu will go without resolution of their true nature. It feels like a piece of symbolic worldbuilding that served both its intended symbolism and also a small plot-related function in revealing the reality of a 'language of souls' and as a method of showing that both Sorweel and Kellhus were not entirely themselves at that moment (given they are both God-Entangled or possessed or whatever, and it is noted that only they can read it). 

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2019, 12:14:34 pm »
Actually that's a really good point. I think I struggle a lot with pending books and the potential for new info, and shutting down possibilities - mostly because so many unexpected things have happened. So yeah, given that it DID have a purpose, it might very well be done. That's a great catch, that it revealed god-entangled souls, and I never really put the two together. Thanks FB!
One of the other conditions of possibility.