• 3 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: May 14, 2013, 11:29:41 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
Anyone else note this, and has there been any concerted group pondering on how it means and what its significance is?

I feel like it's not just a simple replacement for mind's eye (though the fact that it does replace that phrase should suggest to us that the 'mind' is perhaps not situated in the brain, but in the soul in bakker world), that there is more to its meaning and that everytime it is mentioned it should give us pause as to the significance of the insight provided from seeing 'with one's soul's eye'. 

Even more so in light of the Judging Eye, which is perhaps a meta-soul's eye viewpoint.

off the top of my head I know that Achamian, Serwe and Cnaiur have used the phrase in TDTCB, but I don't know if Kellhus has...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 11:29:46 pm »
Quote from: Madness
My money is on it being synonymous with mind's eye and Bakker was trying to avoid using anachronistic metaphor?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 11:29:51 pm »
Quote from: Auriga
The word "mind" does appear a few times. But yeah, "soul's eye" is probably just his way of saying "mind's eye".

He doesn't have many anachronistic word choices, but they do appear a few times - "neuropuncture" being the main one. (The Dûnyain's processes, apart from this, are otherwise framed in more pre-modern terms.)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 11:29:56 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Honestly - sorry lockesnow, segue ;) - I feel like Bakker's avoidance of anachronistic metaphor is damn admirable...

So skilled.

Out of curiousity, where does "mind" appear?