What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: April 19, 2013, 02:27:44 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
Should we start up a forum reread?

I think a separate topic/thread per chapter would be a good idea, because it leaves the reread more open ended, hard for people to join into a single reread mega thread per book.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 02:27:52 pm »
Quote from: Madness
I'm in but we need to determine a comfortable time-frame for reading each chapter and posting. We all have our own lives to live but because this could very well help set a tone for our community and will certainly help populate the forums for previously released titles, I think its important that we don't lose participants of the reread along the way.

Also, there is the issue of limiting our speculations to the specific chapters and books we reread - in my opinion, we should avoid linking any speculation beyond the current reading point at any given time.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:28:05 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
I agree. Limited insight, or rather future site, would be important. As for timeframe, well, should have started talking about this months ago when summer was still new. But certainly better to start rather than keep waiting for a better time.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 02:28:11 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
I'll be in also - gotta dig out my TDtcB - still in moving boxes :p

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 02:28:19 pm »
TDTCB is 19 chapters and a prologue, so one a week would take twenty weeks.

TWP is 25 chapters

TTT is 17 chapters

TJE is 16 chapters with a preface, prologue and an interlude

TWLW is 15 chapters and an interlude

For TDTCB I think one chapter a week is good, particularly if we have a separate topic per chapter.  We should have a thread, stickied at the top of the forum for TDTCB discussion: no spoilers, Actually there should be a "no spoilers" thread at the top of each book forum.

But within the re-read threads, I think spoilers should be fair game, afterall, it labeled a re-read.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 02:28:27 pm »
Quote from: Imparrhas
Why not make a reread subforum? This way we're free to use spoilers and we won't flood the subforums for the old books with all those separate chapter topics. You could also sticky all topics and they'd always be in order.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 02:28:38 pm »
I'm going to make a reread subforum. I disagree with the free ranging spoilers, as it is alienating to a certain number of readers. We're trying to attract Bakker new readers, not push them away because they can't enter any of the subforums. I maintain that we should limit ourselves to commenting on only things that have happened as we reread and continue making spoiler related posts and threads in Misc. Chatter and The Unholy Consult as we're inspired by the reread.

However, I'm no dictator, so I'll leave that the discretion of the Council here before we begin. We should pick a date, soonish, and perhaps try and maintain a five day window per chapter for reading and posting. I know its a slog but a week feels too long.

Cheers.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 02:28:45 pm »
I'm going to make a reread subforum. I disagree with the free ranging spoilers, as it is alienating to a certain number of readers. We're trying to attract Bakker new readers, not push them away because they can't enter any of the subforums. I maintain that we should limit ourselves to commenting on only things that have happened as we reread and continue making spoiler related posts and threads in Misc. Chatter and The Unholy Consult as we're inspired by the reread.

However, I'm no dictator, so I'll leave that the discretion of the Council here before we begin. We should pick a date, soonish, and perhaps try and maintain a five day window per chapter for reading and posting. I know its a slog but a week feels too long.

Cheers.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 02:28:53 pm »
Quote from: Imparrhas
Pfft. You learned about § in college? They made us use it in highschool.

Five days is good for me. If we do TJE and WLW after this then there are 93 chapters total. At five days per chapter that is 465 days total or about 1.25 years.
If it's just PoN then it would be 310 days or a little under a year. TUC is set to come out in about half a year I believe. If we want to be done before TUC then it would have to be 2 chapters per five days which is probably too much.
An alternative is to just disregard the TUC release. We'll do a slower, structured reread of PoN and people like me who need to reread TAE 1-2 before TUC comes out can do so on their own. It will be a bit weird to read part of PoN -> TAE -> rest of PoN, but hey. Better than trying to cram in two chapters every five days.
Then later we could have a structured reread of all of TAE.

I see your point about spoilers and new readers, Madness. Of course we do have
(click to show/hide)
We could use them like this
Quote from: TDTCB, Ch. 1
(click to show/hide)
or
TDTCB, Ch. 1
(click to show/hide)
If lockesnow wants to share his spreadsheet it would be easy to find out where the spoilers come from and we could mark small spoilery observations like that. Big discussions full of spoilers would move to TUC or Misc. as you said.
What do you think?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 02:29:01 pm »
I'm down. I'm a big believer in communication, especially intentional acts of - the dialogue we have going on this forum, for instance.

We do have spoilers. Even these are walls that new readers cannot engage.

However, I suggest we don't think too much about timing our completion. Let's just dive in and immerse ourselves. We're riding the edge of novelty, people, as this will be the "first official Bakker forum reread, etc," etc, ever. Historical ;).

lockesnow, your idea has an incredible retro feel - whether its associated with my earliest memories or a conceptual "retro," I'm not sure.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 02:29:10 pm »
lockesnow, your idea has an incredible retro feel - whether its associated with my earliest memories or a conceptual "retro," I'm not sure.
Thanks, I was intentionally trying to invoke two things: one, the old school chapter descriptions found in 19th century table of contents; two the use of § to invoke a sense of academic rigor.   Both takes kind of have a mustiness (or retroness, I suppose) to them.

Oh and I changed the above to read P.1 etc rather than 1.1 etc since it's prologue, not chapter 1.

I also would like to use § just as a way to better catalog what I'm talking about, for TJE reread on the ASoIaF forum, I kept having to make irritating, passive, lengthy descriptions about 'in the next section' etc, when breaking something down with a close reading of the text. 

Also, using the § is useful as a way to helpfully catalog some things like Seswatha dreams: for example TDTCB 1.4 is Seswatha 1: The Celmomian Prophecy, and TDTCB 15.3 is Seswatha 2: Celmomian Prophecy Repeat/Variant (in other words, there is only one Seswatha dream Akka has 'on-screen' in TDTCB).  Then it becomes easier (for me) to refer to something like, "well we see in Seswatha 5..."

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 02:29:18 pm »
I motion we start on the Fifteenth.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 02:29:26 pm »
To me the point of re reading is to make it so that new people could come in and have a place to go where they could have questioned answered. If there are a lot of spoilers there would not be much of a point. Then again it depends on what the point of the re-read is.

If it is to just further enlighten the already bright halls of our understanding that spoilers would be fine.
If it is to brighten the dark rooms of those who are not so privileged, then spoilers would be pointless. and counter productive.

The question to spoil or not to spoil can be answered, I think, by answering this question.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 02:29:34 pm »
There's not actually a question mark in your post...

And I'd say the point of a re-read, for me, is to play capture the flag(s).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 02:29:41 pm »
Sorry about that. I hope that didnt make it too hard to understand.
Capture the flag is all well and good but will everyone be on an even playing field. Its not fun to play if someone is telling everyone where all the flags are hidden before we get to them.