Hello, everyone

• 14 Replies

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« on: April 13, 2017, 06:55:13 pm »
Hello from a brand-new fan of this series. :)

I kept coming across mentions of the Second Apocalypse series in other websites/forums and finally decided it was time to check what it was about. Reading the current books was an amazing experience, though a re-read is clearly in order - I'm the kind of person who will just breeze through books the first time, which usually leads to quite a few missed details. And considering the complexity of this series, there are certainly many interesting nuggets of information to be found in the next re-read(s).

I'm looking forward to coming up with something good enough to add to existing discussions of the books, too. ;) Crazy theories definitely included.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 07:12:42 pm »
Welcome to the forum!

I am  somewhat envious of your current position. The first re-read was an extraordinary experience - almost like the books were somehow entirely different than the first time around.

Glad to have you here, feel free to post as you see fit. Since you've already read it, there's not much to worry about as far as spoilers go, unless you haven't read Bakker's Atrocity Tales. If that's the case, do that!

On Bakker's Blog he has links to several short stories, two of which are TSA related. Check out The Fase Sun and he Four Revelations of Cinial’jin post-haste :) . Crash Space and A Dime Spared are unrelated but great scifi short stories.

Also, how did you make your way to this forum?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 07:47:43 pm »
Welcome, ThoughtsofThelli! Awesome name choice.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 08:24:52 pm »
Welcome to the forum!

I am  somewhat envious of your current position. The first re-read was an extraordinary experience - almost like the books were somehow entirely different than the first time around.

Glad to have you here, feel free to post as you see fit. Since you've already read it, there's not much to worry about as far as spoilers go, unless you haven't read Bakker's Atrocity Tales. If that's the case, do that!

On Bakker's Blog he has links to several short stories, two of which are TSA related. Check out The Fase Sun and he Four Revelations of Cinial’jin post-haste :) . Crash Space and A Dime Spared are unrelated but great scifi short stories.

Also, how did you make your way to this forum?

Thank you! I will check out the tales as soon as possible. :D

I think I just searched for "second apocalypse discussion forum" (or something close to that) online after reading the books. I was so curious to see what kinds of theories/thoughts were being floated around online.

Welcome, ThoughtsofThelli! Awesome name choice.

Thanks. :) When reading the Aspect-Emperor series, Thelli's character kept getting more and more likeable with every single appearance, so I needed to have some reference to her in my username. I'll probably choose a good quote by her for my signature when I re-read the books. Maybe find some fanart to match for my avatar if I can to have a whole theme going.
TGO Spoiler:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:51:53 pm by ThoughtsOfThelli »
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 08:40:27 pm »
Glad google turns us up then :)

FYI on spoilers. In Earwa threads, no need to spoiler tag information up to the book that the subforum you're in. For example, if you are in the Thousandfold Thought (TTT) subforum, no spoiler tags for anything through the end of TTT, but discussions/informaiton for anything after that book should be spoiler tagged.

The General Earwa is open spoilers: no one tags potentially spoiler information there.

The rest of the forum, like there, it'd be nice if you tagged major spoilers. We like to at least appear like a friendly place for new-comers not yet finished with the books - though we don't get many of them.

Mention what book you are spoilering as well, which can be done outside of the tags:

TDTCB Spoiler:
(click to show/hide)

Or within the tags:

(click to show/hide)

That about covers all the rules of the forum lol. If you have any questions post them, or PM me or Madness.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 08:51:30 pm »
Glad google turns us up then :)

FYI on spoilers. In Earwa threads, no need to spoiler tag information up to the book that the subforum you're in. For example, if you are in the Thousandfold Thought (TTT) subforum, no spoiler tags for anything through the end of TTT, but discussions/informaiton for anything after that book should be spoiler tagged.

The General Earwa is open spoilers: no one tags potentially spoiler information there.

The rest of the forum, like there, it'd be nice if you tagged major spoilers. We like to at least appear like a friendly place for new-comers not yet finished with the books - though we don't get many of them.

Mention what book you are spoilering as well, which can be done outside of the tags:

TDTCB Spoiler:
(click to show/hide)

Or within the tags:

(click to show/hide)

That about covers all the rules of the forum lol. If you have any questions post them, or PM me or Madness.

Thanks for the information on spoilers. I assumed that information from The Great Ordeal should be under the spoiler tag everywhere since it's the most recent book (that's usually the main rule in other discussion boards...at least ones I am/was familiar with), but I guess that was too broad an assumption. I will edit my previous post to add which book the spoiler is from.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 08:59:27 pm »
Not a big deal, you would have been fine leaving it the way it was, but thanks for changing it ;) .

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 11:46:19 pm »
Welcome! It's an awesome place here.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 12:04:13 pm »
Welcome! It's an awesome place here.

Thank you. :)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 01:41:06 pm »
Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, Thoughts :).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 03:44:11 pm »
I LOVE THELI! I kind of wish we got to see what the empire would have been like with her as empress.  I think she'd be constantly leading members of her court into traps--she would let on that she was 'damaged' and let those who would unseat her expose themselves and so cull her court

WELCOME!

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 03:51:05 pm »
So sorry for "resurrecting" a thread months after I last posted here, but I wanted to reply to the people who had commented here after I went in a fairly long (work-related) hiatus back in April (I'm hoping I won't be as busy later this month, I really want to return to this fandom and forums).

Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, Thoughts :).

I LOVE THELI! I kind of wish we got to see what the empire would have been like with her as empress.  I think she'd be constantly leading members of her court into traps--she would let on that she was 'damaged' and let those who would unseat her expose themselves and so cull her court

WELCOME!

Oh, I wish that would have been the case, Holy Empress Anasûrimbor Theliopa I would have been amazing (in an alternate universe, maybe that's what happened  ;)). Everyone would just see her as this unemotional and fairly harmless source of knowledge, and she'd really be playing them the whole time, including Kelmomas, hopefully.

And thank you. :D

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 06:37:23 pm »
Hi ThoughtsOfThelli,

Tales of Alternate Earwa would be an interesting exercise indeed: to map out possible outcomes with different Anasûrimbor as Emperor.

Perhaps an idea for a thread or two?

Anyway, welcome.
Mystery denotes darkness

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 06:46:19 pm »
Hi ThoughtsOfThelli,

Tales of Alternate Earwa would be an interesting exercise indeed: to map out possible outcomes with different Anasûrimbor as Emperor.

Perhaps an idea for a thread or two?

Anyway, welcome.

It would be very intriguing, though I think I'd need a reread (never got around to one after reading the books for the first time...) to really be able to come up with a decent alternate future for each Anasûrimbor of the younger generation (I suppose neither Inrilatas nor Samarmas would be even considered as a possibility in any alternate timeline - but they might just end up with very different futures anyway, when compared to what happened in the books). Kelmomas does think of becoming the next Aspect-Emperor in the future, but he does think very highly of himself, and who's to say how he'll fare by the end of the series (as someone who hasn't yet read The Unholy Consult, no idea on that for now).

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 11:39:59 am »
No qualms about resurrecting threads. Feel free to do so at your leisure.