To Madness...

• 134 Replies

kellykellhus

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2014, 12:58:46 am »
I thought that the next book would provide satisfying closure to this trilogy, and the series as a whole, even if stuff is left ambiguous and open ended. Like the first time I read TTT I had no idea that it was just the conclusion to the first trilogy of a larger series, and even though I was surprised and dismayed somewhat that the overarching Consult story was unresolved, I still felt that I had read a complete and satisfying story.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2014, 09:51:08 am »
I'm not sure how I came by my assumptions, maybe because he couldn't say anything about the third series I thought it would take place in the same world but not necessarily be directly connected to the first two.
I think it will probably be set in Earwa, but with another time jump, probably larger than what we saw from TTT to JE. I have no basis for this conclusion.
I thought that the next book would provide satisfying closure to this trilogy, and the series as a whole, even if stuff is left ambiguous and open ended. Like the first time I read TTT I had no idea that it was just the conclusion to the first trilogy of a larger series, and even though I was surprised and dismayed somewhat that the overarching Consult story was unresolved, I still felt that I had read a complete and satisfying story.
I agree, and I think TUC will end up being similar. Bakker had built Earwa with thousands of years of history, and I could easily see him writing whole series about characters/places/species that we have barely even seen, but that are directly or indirectly connected to some larger story. The possibilities are endless, and if he makes enough money with TUC and/or whatever else he writes in the next few years, I think we could be reading TSA books until the man dies.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2014, 01:21:51 pm »
I think the idea of "the end" comes from one of his interviews, something about TUC being the end of the story he originally conceptualized all those years ago.

That's the impression I always had before I started reading some of these threads.  I had heard about the possible third trilogy but I thought "The Second Apocalypse" would be finished after the next book.

I believe the whole series was always going to be 3 parts. Prince of Nothing, Aspect Emperor, and TSTSNBN (the series that shall not be named).

PoN and AE are trilogies, and the last I heard, TSTSNBN was originally planned to be a duology but will more likely be a trilogy, but its all called "The Second Apocalypse" up to and including TSTSNBN. Or so goes my understanding.

Since Zombie Three-Seas that has been the understanding (and this is as Bakker was writing PON) - though, I want to suggest that Bakker thought TAE was also going to be two books at one time.

I believe the whole series was always going to be 3 parts. Prince of Nothing, Aspect Emperor, and TSTSNBN (the series that shall not be named).

PoN and AE are trilogies, and the last I heard, TSTSNBN was originally planned to be a duology but will more likely be a trilogy, but its all called "The Second Apocalypse" up to and including TSTSNBN. Or so goes my understanding.

Same. I think that one Bakker blog post was misconstrued slightly by fans to mean "the end of the series", whereas it really meant "getting to the point where all the pieces he wanted in play, ARE in play).

I agree.

I actually read PON twice under that illusion, kellykellhus. It was awesome. I couldn't believe what an audacious fuck the author was, hinting at this crazy bigger story that never happened...

But to the bold, I think there will be a satisfying resolution to TAE as TAE. However, again, I need to know what happens in TSTSNBN.

The possibilities are endless, and if he makes enough money with TUC and/or whatever else he writes in the next few years, I think we could be reading TSA books until the man dies.

I know he's talked over the years about writing a prequel to TDTCB to make the series more approachable (which I think should just be about the internecine warfare in the Three-Seas - like when Istriya-for-reals ruled the Nansur Empire, for instance).

And then there are also comments of doing a Cuno-Inchoroi War standalone (which would never end up being a standalone ;)) and a First Apocalypse standalone.

I agree, Wilshire, I mean, I want to read other kinds of titles by Bakker (particularly a straight up space-opera!!!) but I would also enjoy him writing Earwa books till he dies.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

unJon

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2014, 12:22:26 am »
It's funny but I find that the question that I most want to know the answer to is whether DA, when he is next in AK's presence, will he kneel?

Francis Buck

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2014, 12:55:14 am »
It's funny but I find that the question that I most want to know the answer to is whether DA, when he is next in AK's presence, will he kneel?

Yes, over AK's dying body, who then starts asking some rather strange and inquisitive questions about himself...

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2014, 03:52:40 am »
Thought about it a bit, and I think there is no point in carefully selecting questions in order to receive coy deflections.
No criticism, simply that carefully thought out questions are a real danger of revealing 'too much'...

So instead, I would challenge Madness to deliver a blurb, such as we might read on the back of the book or the amazon store page. 

One thing I might hope for would be a hint as to whether we can expect to see the Ordeal will progress further than Dagliash, much as the WLW blurb begins with;
"As AK and his Great ordeal march ever further into the wastes of the Ancient North..."
- hinting that the volume will chronicle their journey and leave us short of the destination.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2014, 02:00:53 pm »
Hmm... I will bend my mind towards that, perhaps. It might be more like the second paragraphs of such blurbs... Like the impression blurb? I'm not sure how to do a content blurb without it being a spoiler bonanza.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2014, 02:38:27 pm »
I'm not sure how to do a content blurb without it being a spoiler bonanza.

Well, you can always use spoiler tags.

Francis Buck

« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2014, 06:41:57 pm »
spoiler bonanza.

dont want no spoilt bananas

Mithfânion

• Suthenti
  • Herald of Winter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2014, 07:46:17 pm »
I'll second the request for a synopsis as Madness would author it.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2014, 08:08:58 pm »
I'm not sure how to do a content blurb without it being a spoiler bonanza.

Well, you can always use spoiler tags.

Do please put the whole thing in a spoiler tag if you do so.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2014, 11:31:26 am »
Is there any truth to the rumour the last words are "...and they all lived happily forever." ?

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2014, 05:48:59 am »
Hey locke!  I really like your starting post.  You really had me ensorcelled with the lists of books.  :)

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2014, 12:54:19 am »
Hey locke!  I really like your starting post.  You really had me ensorcelled with the lists of books.  :)
if you liked it, you should read if on a winter's night a traveler. That's where the text comes from.

All typ0s courtesy of Samsung.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2014, 03:37:22 pm »
Kudos to you for using it!  I haven't read a lot of Calvino, but I will make sure to read this one.