• 134 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2014, 10:28:25 pm »
Finally, is it action-packed (like WLW) or more slow-burn (like TJE)?

Sorry, but, you thought TJE was a slow-burn? I thought it was one of the fastest past novels in the series.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2014, 10:53:31 pm »
I actually feel somewhat guilty that anyone took my jape from the other board seriously. 

And as much as I appreciate that Madness is getting an early peak, I do not want to know the answer to too many of these questions.  I'm content to wait for most of it. 

Well, things like length and style and whatnot are cool, but I don't really want to know the infodump details or major plot specifics.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2014, 11:04:15 pm »
Nah. Spoilers are the way to go.

Garet Jax

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2014, 11:06:29 pm »

Negative

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2014, 11:14:49 pm »

Negative

Madness will guard his spoilers, regardless of how any feels.
As for me, I haven't read the answers. The only thing I really want to know is: what is the official release date. And that one, at least, remains unknown.

ivance

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2014, 12:02:12 am »
Finally, is it action-packed (like WLW) or more slow-burn (like TJE)?

Sorry, but, you thought TJE was a slow-burn? I thought it was one of the fastest past novels in the series.

2/3rds of TJE was basically setup, with the only extended action sequence being the moriaesque descent by the Skin Eaters and co. Not that there is anything wrong with that, by 'slow burn' I mean saving the action until the second half and/or last third. I compare this with WLW, where action beats were more spread out and numerous.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2014, 12:23:48 am »
That makes sense. I guess between the two its more of a slow burn, but I always felt the first book was the slowest (and potentially my favorite, though hard to say).

ivance

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2014, 02:51:05 am »
That makes sense. I guess between the two its more of a slow burn, but I always felt the first book was the slowest (and potentially my favorite, though hard to say).

I agree... TDTCB is the slowest, and probably my favorite, overall.

Given that Bakker is midlist (hopefully still), what about that expanded appendix? I've told him on his blog to initiate a simple paypal account or something; perhaps he could release it on his website and make some pure-profit coin to boot.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2014, 02:57:48 am »
That would be sweet. I'd support that for sure.

Unfortunately I bet he has some kind of exclusivity deal with his publishers, so for a certain period of time he isn't allowed to sell/publish any works by any means other than through Overlook.

Under the table cash transactions anyone? All we need is a courier system, Madness can be our point man who exchanges the cash for the goods. From there we'll identify a trusted chain of people until its dispersed enough so the IRS doesn't flag anyone's paypal accounts. Keep withdraws/deposits under $200 a day, $1000 a week. ...

Litgreg

• The Afflicted Few
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2014, 04:55:47 pm »
Thanks for the sneak peek Madness! Can't wait!

Rhom

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2014, 09:31:24 pm »
Really enjoyed reading it.  Thanks Madness and thanks RSB for giving us a peek.  I agree with Trisk that I don't want many details.  Knowing that there's some really fantastic stuff here and knowing that its close (relatively speaking) is sufficient for me.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2014, 09:33:54 pm »
have the publishers include a QR code in the book which you can redeem for your choice of ebook format for the encyclopedia.  And then also offer the encyclopedia for sale.

Gorgorotterath

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2014, 11:05:28 am »
Madness:
1) will we see a great deal of Golgotterath in this final book? I guess we will, but I ask just the same
2) any explanation on this book about why Aurang looked like a human the first time he met Esmenet?
3) Is it explained who the hell burned the White Ships in Neleost?
4) is there any connection between the Outside/the Gods and the concept of Faërian Drama as exposed by Tolkien, maybe transposed on a digital/cybernetic level? Since there is a diaeresis/umlaut, "Faërian" is at least supposed to be a word favoured by Bakker.
5) Is the word apocalypse to be intended as in its original greek meaning, aka as a Revelation? Is TUC a colossal Revelation on the real ontology/metaphysics of Eärwa?
Ok, I've written enough bullshit to fill a cargo

Abalieno

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2014, 03:19:39 am »
I definitely voiced the thought that it would benefit from being split up into two books.

ARGH.

You had one job.

Also, wtf is TSTSBN? The Second Thought Shortly Before Now?

(wasn't this forum the one that came up a couple of years ago? I thought I was already registered but can't even find the few posts I made)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2014, 04:00:32 am »
I definitely voiced the thought that it would benefit from being split up into two books.

ARGH.

You had one job.

Also, wtf is TSTSBN? The Second Thought Shortly Before Now?

(wasn't this forum the one that came up a couple of years ago? I thought I was already registered but can't even find the few posts I made)

TSTSNBN = The Series That Shall Not Be Named
It is the only way Bakker has ever referenced the series he plans to write after the conclusion of Aspect-Emperor.

We have been through several iterations of this forum, including domaine changes, server changes, format changes, etc. It is entirely possible that your old account got lost in there somewhere. Sorry about that. Glad you found your way back.