[TGO Spoilers] Things you wished had been in TGO/want in future books

• 22 Replies

Cosi

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: July 18, 2016, 03:58:32 pm »
1. Wracu! I want some dragons. I understand that given what we've been told (they're all cowards), we probably aren't going to see these guys until after the No-God returns, but I was hoping for something. If not dragons, at least some additional Tekne creations. Tekne insects? More skinspies with souls? More Synthese?

2. Ciphrang! Whether it's seeing the Scarlet Spires throw down with the Diamos, seeing what meta-Diamotic insights Kellhus has uncovered, or just the (presumed) research the Consult has done in this area, I was hoping to see some Ciphrang loosed for or against the Horde. Seems especially appropriate given the greater focus this book has on the Outside and the Gods. At least Malowebi's death promises something of this in the next book.

3. The ruins of Ishual were a bit disappointing for me (to be clear: the fact that it was ruined, I thought the actual chapters worked very well). I was hoping for an opportunity to see what "sane" Dunyain act like. Also, answers to minor things like "are all Dunyain of the Few" and "why are they learning to read faces if the only people whose faces they see can't be read".

4. More direct confrontation with the Consult. Kellhus fighting Aurang, Swayali fighting Erratic Quya, Mandate fighting whatever remains of the Mangaecca. I anticipate this will happen in a big way in The Unholy Consult, but a taste would have been nice. Maybe Aurang smacking down Saccarees instead of leaving. What has the Consult been up to? What magical secrets have they uncovered with 2000 years to work?

5. Are we just dropping the "what did Mimara do to her Chorae" question? Also, what's the deal with Chipmunk (Achamian sounds like he's about to make a big deal of it just as they're captured)? Did I miss something here?

What TGO not do that you wanted? What did it make you want to see in future books?

Wic

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 05:05:18 pm »
Now that you mentioned the Wracu, I realize I would love to see a conversation between Wutteat and one of the Inchoroi.

Seomus

• Emwama
  • Author
    • View Profile
    • JMD Reid's Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 08:05:13 pm »
1. I would love to see Wracu, the the consult is holding back. Hopefully next book.

3. I think being trained to read faces is very important. How can you know if the Dunayain child your training is "defective" if you can't read his face. How can you understand your own passions if you don't know how they make your body react so you can understand and recognize the darkness coming before and acting upon you.

5. What Mimara did with that Chorae will be very important. Think of that scene as a demonstration of her power. She restored reality being affected by the outside. That has to be important to whatever her role in the books are.

I want to know more about the consult, but I didn't expect too much seeing as the book was split in half and I bet all the juicy stuff is in the Unholy Consult.
“A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity."
--Franz Kafka

spacemost

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 07:02:48 pm »
Echoing that I was hoping for more Consult lore just to flesh them out a bit more.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 11:05:27 am »
Echoing that I was hoping for more Consult lore just to flesh them out a bit more.

Yep, definitely hoping for some Aurang POV, at the very least.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 04:22:21 pm »
I expect the battles will be awesome, the sorcery will be fucking unreal, etc, etc. Freebasing thaumazein, as per usual ;).

What I'm really excited for is all the possible character interactions.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 04:44:17 pm »
More Consult, more info-bombs. I want the histories, I want what came before. From there, we can ourselves make sense of what came after.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 07:01:47 pm »
I think the Dunyain learn to read and manage faces for the sake of rearing their children. Which is why all the worldborn initially seem childish to Kellhus.

Doubt

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 07:59:54 pm »
Good thought Sharmat, they basically spent 2,000 years mastering the manipulation of people they have no access to.
Cuts and cuts and cuts.

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 04:02:44 am »
I want the Ordeal to look to the south and hear a loud droning, then see what looks like a horde of locusts on the horizon—then realize that it's a legion of Nonmen Chariots ready to rain death from above on the hordes of the Consult and the Erratic Quya.

If that image is in TUC I will be satisfied.

Titan

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 05:49:04 am »
I want the No-god to awake, to see how Kellhus and Mimara will face it.

I want to see the character reunions that seem inevitable:
 - Achamian and Kellhus
 - Achamian and Proyas
 - Cnaiur and Kellhus
 - Mimara and Kellhus
 - Achamian and Esmenet (I'm more iffy on that, but hope to see it, though a happy reunion seems unlikely)
 - Sorweel and Zsoronga
 - Kellhus and his grandson

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 12:11:56 pm »
I want the No-god to awake, to see how Kellhus and Mimara will face it.

I want to see the character reunions that seem inevitable:
 - Achamian and Kellhus
 - Achamian and Proyas
 - Cnaiur and Kellhus
 - Mimara and Kellhus
 - Achamian and Esmenet (I'm more iffy on that, but hope to see it, though a happy reunion seems unlikely)
 - Sorweel and Zsoronga
 - Kellhus and his grandson

I want to see all that happen also. I think what will make TUC so grand and epic is the coming together again of so many characters. And, what better place to have a ol' meet up than Golgoterreth?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 08:51:59 pm »
Would like to learn the etymology of Golgotterath, whatever that happens to mean in Kuniuric.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 04:37:16 pm »

Tall Nonmen --> FUCKING TALL SRANC
Bashrags, man.
One of the other conditions of possibility.