The Monarchies of God - by Paul Kearney

• 2 Replies

Davias

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: November 13, 2013, 11:05:08 pm »
It is a fantasy series which has a nice, "alternative" world scenario, with influences and ideas borrowed from the voyage of Christopher Kolumbus, the wars against the Osman empire, the crusades and many other history events. It is spiced with some magic and magical creatures. Paul Kearneys writing is short, but to the point and the great battles in the books are very well written. The characters all have flaws, but has also their strong sides.
It's not great literature, but it is a nice, finished series, which I have read two or three times over the last years and it is very entertaining.

Paul Kearney is a good fantasy writer and I also like his other series, like "The Macht trilogy", where he take ideas from the march of the greek  ten thousand in xenophon's tale.

Have anony read the books? And what is your opinion of it?

Francis Buck

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 03:04:23 am »
Heard a lot about Kearney, never read him. What's generally considered his best book? I'm currently just starting The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (been meaning to try him for quite some time), but after that I may give Kearney a shot.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 04:08:45 pm »
Save yourself the trouble, FB, and get the five book Monarchies of God series in the two republished paperback anthologies.

It's worth it. And they are relatively quick reads.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer