True Detective on HBO -- If you like Bakker, you'll probably like this.

• 105 Replies

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 01:03:19 am »
Lol - Hi Srancy :).

I feel like Hart's daughter has had interaction with the killer. I feel like Laroy and Brother Mouzone suspect that Cohle is the original killer, though I think Cohle is exactly what he says he is, not a killer.

I also think that this early on we don't have enough evidence to really speculate - ESPECIALLY because of the epic level violence that happens next episode. The lawnmower man theory on Westeros seems too obvious. And the whole show already gives me the History of Violence vibe so 7th/8th episode bombshell about Cohle's past that reframe everything are far more than likely.

To be honest, I almost get a Memento-feel from Cohle - or Thomas in Neuropath, Cnaiur in TTT, Nonmen; forgetting to remember something.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Francis Buck

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 10:35:02 pm »
So I read Nic Pizzolatto's debut (and I believe only) novel, Galveston. Bought the Kindle copy (it's currently $2.99 in the U.S.) around eight at night, finished it by four in the morning (I'm currently recovering from minor surgery so I have some free time). It hooked me instantly, it's a quick and easy read, and I thought it was quite good. Not mind-blowing or anything, but extremely solid with a few flashes of greatness.  There were many similarities to True Detective. It's set in the south, it has a rather bleak tone/story, and the characters/plot was actually quite stereotypical on the surface, yet he adds incredible depth and realness to the characters and the execution of the story in general makes the cliche veneer a positive quality. Just like True Detective, the two main characters are something we've seen a million times before, but their depth and psychology is heavily explored in great way. The novel honestly gave me a great confidence that we're just seeing the tip of the ice-berg with True Detective, and it's really going to be something special.

It's funny too because the way Pizzolatto describes the landscape of the different states is like a prose version of the imagery we see in TD. After reading this I have no doubt that he must've had an enormous influence on cinematography (which really isn't also common with writers in filmmaking --I know they cite him as the creator of the show, but is he basically the showrunner or co-showrunner of it with heavy creative control?).

I highly suggest that anyone who likes TD to give Galveston a try, at least the sample. It's a steal at $2.99.

Davias

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 10:44:03 pm »
Ok, now I have watched the first episode and I must say, I absolutely LOVE the interaction between the two main characters. And the dialogue in the car was fantastic. At first glance it seems like a traditional detective-crime series, but I am sure there will be a few surprises in the future.
I haven't watched a HBO series in english in the last few months, except the last season of Boardwalk Empire and I am already curious for the next episode.
I had a little bit of trouble, understanding the whole talking in the first episode, maybe my english isn't as good, as I thought ;), but I didn't remember having much problems with the dialogues in Boardwalk Empire.
Anyway, a good start and the series has definitively some potential.

Francis Buck

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 11:03:36 pm »
Dude, English is my first language and I have hard time hearing/understanding what they're saying sometimes. They have strong accents and there's a large amount of Southern colloquialisms and idioms. I've actually started putting close-captions on during re-watches so I can adsorb it all (especially since the dialogue is so deep and meticulous).

jamesA01

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 11:24:31 pm »
I would very much appreciate it if the True Detective people could get together and just do Neuropath and Disciple real quick ;) - they would have a keen eye for Bakker's worlds.

T. Bone Burnett is awesome. I can't wait for the soundtrack. Very reminiscent (not the style) of Sons of Anarchy and their solid musical choices over the years.

It's possible. True Detective is an anthology show, and next season will have a different plot with different actors. Considering that its ratings have been the 2nd best HBO has had in 4 years, the idea of a bleak psychological crime drama being recognized as a hot commodity by the suits is almost certain. If I was Bakker, I would be raving about True Detectives ratings "you think THIS stuff is dark? wait till you see what i've got up my sleeve..."

Francis Buck

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 11:32:17 pm »
The idea of an adaptation of Neuropath or Disciple of the Dog by Nic Pizzolatto and Cary Fukunaga makes me rock hard.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 11:26:03 am »
So I read Nic Pizzolatto's debut (and I believe only) novel, Galveston. Bought the Kindle copy (it's currently $2.99 in the U.S.) around eight at night, finished it by four in the morning (I'm currently recovering from minor surgery so I have some free time). It hooked me instantly, it's a quick and easy read, and I thought it was quite good. Not mind-blowing or anything, but extremely solid with a few flashes of greatness.  There were many similarities to True Detective. It's set in the south, it has a rather bleak tone/story, and the characters/plot was actually quite stereotypical on the surface, yet he adds incredible depth and realness to the characters and the execution of the story in general makes the cliche veneer a positive quality. Just like True Detective, the two main characters are something we've seen a million times before, but their depth and psychology is heavily explored in great way. The novel honestly gave me a great confidence that we're just seeing the tip of the ice-berg with True Detective, and it's really going to be something special.

I had heard he wrote a book. I'll be interested to cop it when I can justify reading more leisurely.

It's possible. True Detective is an anthology show, and next season will have a different plot with different actors. Considering that its ratings have been the 2nd best HBO has had in 4 years, the idea of a bleak psychological crime drama being recognized as a hot commodity by the suits is almost certain. If I was Bakker, I would be raving about True Detectives ratings "you think THIS stuff is dark? wait till you see what i've got up my sleeve..."

Lmao - Bakker should just sub in for Pizzolatto next season ;). I almost shouted Neuropath when the old lady starts rolling her head and talking about living with aneurysms or whichever-y - but my roommates were less interested in it than I ;).

The idea of an adaptation of Neuropath or Disciple of the Dog by Nic Pizzolatto and Cary Fukunaga makes me rock hard.

They are quite the duo.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Francis Buck

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 06:32:24 pm »
TONIGHT! So excited. Who else will be watching as it airs?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 07:32:46 pm »
Probably not as it airs. Honestly, maybe not even tonight. But Future Madness will watch it sometime as soon as possible.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 01:01:00 am »
TONIGHT! So excited. Who else will be watching as it airs?

I will.  Can't wait to see this episode.
No whistling on the slog!

Francis Buck

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 03:22:06 am »
That may seriously have been one of the best episodes of any series I have ever seen, period. I was having heart-palpitations.

The build-up, the characters, the score, cinematography, choreography, everything was nuts. I mean that shot at least five minutes, right?

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 04:10:03 am »
Definitely tense.  The show never ceases to deliver the goods.
No whistling on the slog!

Wic

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 07:42:36 am »
Friggin' amazing.  At first I was a little disappointed that spooky machete lunatic wasn't involved, but jeeeeezus did this episode blow my mind.  I read that last shot was 6 minutes.

Not only are the characters so deep, even their interactions just layer on each other, episode after episode.  The contrast of Cohle's nihilistic honesty against Hart's self-delusion and hypocrisy is fantastic.

Also, saw this on the internet.  Those girls are giving me the creeps.
http://i.imgur.com/ZUbHlHt.png

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 08:17:12 pm »
Yeah, that episode was intense!

(click to show/hide)

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name