Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 12:53:14 am »
I think he was giving us a clue that sheep will become holy in TUC, just like storks.

I looked back to see if I'd written this (and I see lockesnow had written this) but I do feel Bakker's referring to the way Men who worked to beat food across the Plains for the Ordeal to survive. The fact that it references a future point as Duskweaver and I were discussing probably refers to the way people fanatically adopt cultural datum and mutate.

But damn, the Nerdanel of this thread goes to:

Quote from: Duskweaver
So, crackpot theory time. Kellhus is using careful application of extreme experiences to turn the Ordeal itself into the awakened God of Gods: a gestalt soul capable of self-awareness.

(Corollary: the Consult used careful application of extreme experiences, enhanced by the Tekne, to turn a bunch of captives into the No-God: a gestalt mind incapable of... well, actually, I'm not entirely sure what Mog-Pharau's cognitive impairments are and I'm hesitant to label him non-self-aware.

The Corollary is also insightful and in line with aspects of conversation Curethan and I have had.

I'm probably jumping onto the Psukhe-is-Thaumaturgy train, and by extension that could put the Aporos somewhere else I suppose.

I think all sorcery is inevitably going to be revealed as Kellhus has said in TTT: all is Thaumaturgy simply wielded properly (a la Cishaurim, maybe, Titirga closer?).

Psatma and the Warrior might as well be extensions of Yatwer's Will at this point.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 10:07:06 am »
Damn, better start applying your advice about reading the thread before posting again...

Is 'Nerdanel' Bakker terminology for... I don't know, troll or something? (I was serious btw)

Garet Jax

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 02:09:41 pm »
Also, Nerdanel was a forum poster on Westeros who disappeared from posting sometime after TJE came out. Nerdanel had the most outlandish theories. Now Nerdanel has become synonymous with our nerdanels :).

It's like Marklar.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 02:01:22 PM by Madness »

Handed down from our fearless leader.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 02:20:53 pm »
Damn, better start applying your advice about reading the thread before posting again...

Is 'Nerdanel' Bakker terminology for... I don't know, troll or something? (I was serious btw)

Well, as the legend goes, Nerdanel was an individual on some old forum who always came up with crazy (and elaborate) theories. Though this person has since disappeared from our community, their legend lives on. We've taken to naming our own crazier crackpot theories as 'nerdenels', though feel free to ignore this practice; 'Theory' or 'Crackpot' work just as well.

BTW don't bother trying to read every post before you post. There might be 2 or 3 people around here who have, but that isn't and shouldn't be the standard. Post whatever, wherever you think it fits in. If everyone tried to read everything before they posted, no one new would ever say anything.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:23:52 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 02:28:17 pm »
I don't know... Whenever a person gets banned or disappears from a forum, my first instinct is not to ask "why did they leave", but to start looking at new members to try and figure out what that person's new handle is. I mean I wouldn't be surprised if Nerdanel was actually among us now or on Westeros and posting innocently from a new alt.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 02:40:31 pm »
Lol didn't even see Garet Jax's post above my, roughly 11 minutes before I posted. I swear that wasn't there when I posted.....

I don't know... Whenever a person gets banned or disappears from a forum, my first instinct is not to ask "why did they leave", but to start looking at new members to try and figure out what that person's new handle is. I mean I wouldn't be surprised if Nerdanel was actually among us now or on Westeros and posting innocently from a new alt.

Who's looking for anyone? We are talking about nerdanel(-s, -ing) not Nerdanel(proper noun)... Though I have read a post or 2 of people lamenting the loss of the latter.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 06:03:58 pm »
Lol +1.

May Nerdanel return to nerdanel nerdanels alongside our nerdanels.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

sologdin

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2014, 10:15:37 pm »
you banned her, madness? not polite!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2014, 10:41:11 pm »
I did no such thing?

I think Nskoghar was referring to Nerdanel's absence from Westeros?
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2014, 06:52:48 pm »
you banned her, madness? not polite!

lol this is how rumors start.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 06:56:11 pm »
Lol - from inbox to outbox, outbox to inbox the rumours flew, until truth became lies and lies became truth.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2014, 01:30:43 pm »
*Psst* I heard Madness ate Nerdanel's liver with fava beans and a nice Chianti. :o
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 04:55:15 pm »
Pish. You know I don't have Lector's taste in wines ;).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2014, 08:06:59 am »
If all sorcery is damned, would the Aporotic schoolmen be damned? Is restorying the world to the way it should be a damnable offense....
I doubt the Aporetic school was capable only of producing chorae. A school implies a whole host of teachings, not a single usable technique.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2014, 04:41:32 pm »
If all sorcery is damned, would the Aporotic schoolmen be damned? Is restorying the world to the way it should be a damnable offense....
I doubt the Aporetic school was capable only of producing chorae. A school implies a whole host of teachings, not a single usable technique.

That doesn't answer the question though. I think the School would be dedicated to the negation of other sorcery. If it all turns on the same mechanism as the chorae, i.e removing sorcery without leaving a mark, then I'd guess that it wouldn't damn the users...